cptkent

Custom Train Wheels Combined Topic

Custom Train Wheels  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What wheel colors would you like to see?

• Black
    • Dark Blue
    • Red
    • Dark Red
    • Green
    • Gray (Light)
    • Dark Gray
    • Yellow
    • Orange
    • White
    • Other (explain below)
  2. 2. What wheel sizes would you like to see?

• Large (like 7750 / Emerald Night)
    • Medium (between Large and Normal like my 7760 shunter)
    • Normal (like the ones from the newer Train motors)
    • Retro (12V style)
    • For bogies with steel axles
    • Other (explain below)
  3. 3. What wheel accessories do you need?

• Driving rods
    • Other (explain below)

I'd like a wheel size between the tiny (which LEGO uses for road-rail equipment) and small (aka LEGO train motor size). 

Some bogies need one that size and I think the narrow gauge community would certainly like one in that area - the tiny wheels aren't 'big' enough for some narrow gauge appliances, whereas the 'regular' wheels are too big.

20 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

I'd like a wheel size between the tiny (which LEGO uses for road-rail equipment) and small (aka LEGO train motor size). 

Some bogies need one that size and I think the narrow gauge community would certainly like one in that area - the tiny wheels aren't 'big' enough for some narrow gauge appliances, whereas the 'regular' wheels are too big.

I like these weel sizes too because i've been looking to get into the narrow gauge side of things but the weels should be with a cross axle hole for easy connecting to motors.

@benfleskes any chance (if not for this year, maybe further into the future) of more "inbetween" wheel sizes? Like Shupp's medium-large?

On 11/24/2018 at 7:06 AM, benfleskes said:

Update. 

Very much appreciate everyone's feedback and input.  Thank you.  

1) I've rerun Light gray and clear and those are all now available, including XL drivers in Light Gray. 

2) Based on survey response, In 2019 I'll bring Dark Red into the mix.  

3) Injected molded XXL wheels are in the works. Again look for a 2019 release. 

4) Have a solution for adding o-rings to BBB wheels as an 'added cost' option to improve traction.   More information forth coming. 

Again, thank you everyone for your ideas, thoughts and inspiration.

Ben Fleskes

Big Ben Bricks LLC

To follow up.  Dark Red Train wheels have been available since June.  

Medium wheels with o-rings are available as of July.  If there is sufficient response, I'll consider larger wheels, but for now, just medium wheels. 

And now XXL wheels are available in Red, Black, Light Gray, Dark Gray and Dark Red.  

Always a joy to see what people come up with. 

Kind regards,

Ben Fleskes

Big Ben Bricks LLC

5 minutes ago, benfleskes said:

And now XXL wheels are available in Red, Black, Light Gray, Dark Gray and Dark Red.

Thank you so much!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This really gives so many new possibilities! :excited:

1 hour ago, benfleskes said:

Wow, love how they look, will definitely get some at one point!
Thanks so much for this!

Do those drivers have grooves for a rubber band? I can't see it very well, but it would be great to know. Don't know if they would be for great use though as I'm not sure how well torque would be for such large wheels...

On 1/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, Matt Dawson said:

Seconded! The tram wheels are so small it's impossible to build a decent bogie around them, any plates attached underneath their mounts foul pointwork. 

So I will just have to cut up a base-plate to give me a half-plate that helps to hold it all together 😱

10 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

Seconded! The tram wheels are so small it's impossible to build a decent bogie around them, any plates attached underneath their mounts foul pointwork. 

So I will just have to cut up a base-plate to give me a half-plate that helps to hold it all together 😱

Thirded!  I definitely want some intermediate sizes with drivable axle hole between the standard train wheel and the tiny one.  Is there such a size which would fit one of the standard existing rubber bands though?  The x151 on BrickLink would probably do the job, and it's cheap enough.  That would be most practical.

Working on a smaller wheel.  Not much room to provide for a technic axle hole.  Thinking about 14.4 mm in diameter (rolling diameter) with either a hole similar to 2927 or perhaps a metal axle.  Also considering both a solid and spoked variety.  

Would appreciate any feedback. 

Ben

Big Ben Bricks LLC

Capture.thumb.JPG.6efcdc07fc5a2952e4b69295a9010131.JPG

That's tricky, I would suggest staying away from the mounting style of 2927, those holes are higher friction and the wheels can pop off too easily.

My first thought would be a solid wheel with a technic axle hole, but even if you can get a technic axle hole in there when supported with normal technic bricks there would be little clearance to the track below. But it should work perfectly fine with technic beams or either of these:

18677.png10247.png

After my bad experience with 2927 at a show, I've stayed away from all small wheels. But I could see this size being a good option for steam engine pilot trucks, smaller rail vehicles, etc.

I had lucky experience pulling a portable outhouse car around on 2927 wheels at shows.  It is not very free rolling but it never derailed.

I think axle hole or something similar may be needed if the wheel is to be powered.

@benfleskes Yay, more wheels!!!

My thoughts:

1) Definitely needs to be on an axle

2)Would prefer solid vs. spoked (at least initially)

3)An offset bar-sized hole thats compatible with 12V rods/custom rods

10 hours ago, benfleskes said:

Working on a smaller wheel.  Not much room to provide for a technic axle hole.

I see 4DBrix has done this and is still offering them after the move to partner shops:

4dbrix-train-wheels-1.jpg4dbrix-train-wheels-2.jpg

They are available from the partner sub-site Lowa's Brix, only listed in black, and have rubber rings.  I would still appreciate having an alternate source for these, and with a more thorough selection from a single source, as you offer.  And it would be great if the intermediate size fit the existing standard rubber band, as I mentioned above.  Accurate/smooth rotation is my biggest concern, especially considering how fast these would have to be rotating to get anywhere quick.

Looking forward to these, especially as I can be flexible, spoked/solid fine, just want black.

Low friction is preferred, but how would a metal axle work? Would the mount include springs and frames? 

On 2/21/2021 at 1:36 PM, benfleskes said:

Working on a smaller wheel.  Not much room to provide for a technic axle hole.  Thinking about 14.4 mm in diameter (rolling diameter) with either a hole similar to 2927 or perhaps a metal axle.  Also considering both a solid and spoked variety.  

Would appreciate any feedback. 

Ben

Big Ben Bricks LLC

Capture.thumb.JPG.6efcdc07fc5a2952e4b69295a9010131.JPG

It's a tough one. I'd prefer a metal axle (as per the standard train wheel) or an X axle hole (powered, jackshaft locos here we come!). Using the road style connection point causes a lot of friction, and over time wear.

3 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

It's a tough one. I'd prefer a metal axle (as per the standard train wheel) or an X axle hole (powered, jackshaft locos here we come!). Using the road style connection point causes a lot of friction, and over time wear.

Agreed, I have just completed a train using those tram wheels and that pin connection is hopeless. It would be nice to have a fix for these wheels too, although Lego should really be doing this, those horrible things are preventing them from designing good tram models.

When I was very young and playing with toy cars, the big new thing was low friction wheels, so you could push the car a little bit and it would go a long way, or go round a race track at high speed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Wheels

I might conclude from that that the Lego wheel pin connection is not fit for purpose and causing disappointment for all Lego wheeled toys.

Somebody needs to design and offer the Bullied Firth-Brown boxpok drivers in a size other than simple XL (and it appears they aren't even offered by shapeways anymore). That size is fine for some, but you really need to go much bigger to represent the drivers on the pacifics that featured these wheels.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

3 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Somebody needs to design and offer the Bullied Firth-Brown boxpok drivers in a size other than simple XL (and it appears they aren't even offered by shapeways anymore). That size is fine for some, but you really need to go much bigger to represent the drivers on the pacifics that featured these wheels.

All wheel sizes in all design are offered on bricktraindepot.com

20 minutes ago, Jeffinslaw said:

All wheel sizes in all design are offered on bricktraindepot.com

I don't see any Bullied Firth-Browns there. They look like this:

cVtf7kd.jpg

6 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I don't see any Bullied Firth-Browns there. They look like this:

-snip-

Oh, sadly you won't find wheels with that much detail unless you design them yourself. 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:28 AM, Jeffinslaw said:

Oh, sadly you won't find wheels with that much detail unless you design them yourself. 

You guys don't offer the regular, American bokpok with a large counterweight/blind in LL, do you?

4 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

You guys don't offer the regular, American bokpok with a large counterweight/blind in LL, do you?

We can offer it. Just shoot us a message using our contact form.