cptkent

Custom Train Wheels Combined Topic

Custom Train Wheels  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What wheel colors would you like to see?

• Black
    • Dark Blue
    • Red
    • Dark Red
    • Green
    • Gray (Light)
    • Dark Gray
    • Yellow
    • Orange
    • White
    • Other (explain below)
  2. 2. What wheel sizes would you like to see?

• Large (like 7750 / Emerald Night)
    • Medium (between Large and Normal like my 7760 shunter)
    • Normal (like the ones from the newer Train motors)
    • Retro (12V style)
    • For bogies with steel axles
    • Other (explain below)
  3. 3. What wheel accessories do you need?

• Driving rods
    • Other (explain below)

I think it would be great to have @Shupp's XXL drivers in an injection-molded version.

And dark grey wheels would also be fine, as they could be used for models of the German WW II Kriegslokomotiven Class 42 and 52 in their original form.

Dark Green wheels?  I also like the idea of having the two tones wheels but that is really complicated, unless you do it via rubber bands or a similar idea.

Black wheel with decorated white edges, please !

Edited by jkj1909

I voted for size: "other" and particularly for up to 60mm radius steam locomotive wheel (=> 2300mm in L scale) with 43mm and 50mm steps (ok 3 new molds are expensive but at least the 43)

As for colors I would appreciate a "metallic" one, or to use some hard plastic which could be easily painted (dear jkj1909 I presume it isn't so easy to mold a bi-color object).

Sergio and Eros

4 hours ago, monai said:

dear jkj1909 I presume it isn't so easy to mold a bi-color object

I Know, but a project with decorated wheels,
like TLG does Decorated Tiles, perhaps a joint venture with another company which does the white edges.

I tried to decorate some myself, and I t was no success :classic::sceptic:

Edited by jkj1909
addition

I would really love to see a collaboration between Shupp (Nate), Ben and zephyr1934 (Benn) for ABS molded train wheels and drive rods. That would be lovely.

Thanks, Jeffery 

BBB did some wonderful engineering to get all the dimensions right from day one, e.g., the way the flanged drivers fit so snugly behind the blind drivers, or the fact that the small flanged wheels will fit in a 3 stud gap (I am pretty sure the lego motor wheels will not).

There are a lot of really nice specialized designs (I'm still drooling over Shupp's boxpok drivers with several different counterweight options) that I doubt make sense to attempt to make injection moulds for.  On the other hand, BBB will probably beat 3D printing in terms of color matching and tolerance for some time.

One functionality that might be good to add to the BBB lineup would be an option for traction band groves on the flanged drivers (while keeping the non-groved drivers in the line up as well)

There might be demand for the smallest of BBB wheels with a pin hole.

I could also see potential demand for the small wheels with solid instead of spokes, but given the fact that the standard Lego train wheels are so close, maybe that demand is already consumed.

Whoa, nice to see that this topic is getting a lot of traction!

Btw, is there a time limit/ min. #of votes for the poll? I'm just wondering out loud b/c I'd love to see the results for this.

Personally, I'd love to have some sort of silver (not chrome) xL drivers... and finally finish this one project...

On 7/10/2018 at 8:59 PM, zephyr1934 said:

On the other hand, BBB will probably beat 3D printing in terms of color matching and tolerance for some time.

mmh, not in the very near future, and above all at what price level? the 3D printing additive technique is mechanically inferior, and the CLIP or laser ones are really expensive up to now. In the meantime no one has ever tried to use the metal normal railway modelling wheels and adapt them to LEGO? 

Not only the materials but above all the geometry of the lego train wheels are frustrating, the flanges are too large, sometimes the wheels are running on them.

Another great project of BBB were the ties for metal vignoble tracks: why not to continue it?

Sergio and Eros

Some folks have used O gauged wheels for lego trains, particularly for 9v power pickups. I think there is one particular small volume manufacturer that has wheels close to the stock lego wheels (I have no idea who it was). Other folks have machined their own lego train wheels from metal.

I had talked to a couple of people who had prototypes of the BBB track, I think ultimately the rail stock was too strong for the clutch of the bricks and at the very least the rails would "split" and adopt a wider gauge. In the mean time ME looked like they had a workable solution (turns out they didn't, but it kind of worked for a couple of years if you overlook all of the kickstarter backers who never got their parts). I THINK elements of the BBB design were incorporated into the last iteration of the ME metal tracks that never saw production. Now we have Bricktracks taking the right pace with injection molded track, there is clearly a lot of design and testing behind their track.

The small volume manufacturer you're talking about is NorthWest Short Line nwsl.com. One of their O-gauge wheels is an almost exact match for the standatd LEGO wheel.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

On 7/15/2018 at 11:50 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Some folks have used O gauged wheels for lego trains, particularly for 9v power pickups. I think there is one particular small volume manufacturer that has wheels close to the stock lego wheels (I have no idea who it was). Other folks have machined their own lego train wheels from metal.

I had talked to a couple of people who had prototypes of the BBB track, I think ultimately the rail stock was too strong for the clutch of the bricks and at the very least the rails would "split" and adopt a wider gauge. In the mean time ME looked like they had a workable solution (turns out they didn't, but it kind of worked for a couple of years if you overlook all of the kickstarter backers who never got their parts). I THINK elements of the BBB design were incorporated into the last iteration of the ME metal tracks that never saw production. Now we have Bricktracks taking the right pace with injection molded track, there is clearly a lot of design and testing behind their track.

mmh, if rails had split it happened because they have not curved them BEFORE assembling with sleepers, you know there are plenty of bending devices in the model railway community, perhaps the right way to proceed is bending to the desired radius and then using sleepers which will be clutched independently each other (in this way you don't even need  different designs for different radii but just one will be sufficient for every custom curve)

On 7/17/2018 at 8:15 AM, monai said:

mmh, if rails had split it happened because they have not curved them BEFORE assembling with sleepers, you know there are plenty of bending devices in the model railway community, perhaps the right way to proceed is bending to the desired radius and then using sleepers which will be clutched independently each other (in this way you don't even need  different designs for different radii but just one will be sufficient for every custom curve)

Excellent point. You should drop BBB a note and ask about them. He might even have some of the prototype parts on hand.

Update. 

Very much appreciate everyone's feedback and input.  Thank you.  

1) I've rerun Light gray and clear and those are all now available, including XL drivers in Light Gray. 

2) Based on survey response, In 2019 I'll bring Dark Red into the mix.  

3) Injected molded XXL wheels are in the works. Again look for a 2019 release. 

4) Have a solution for adding o-rings to BBB wheels as an 'added cost' option to improve traction.   More information forth coming. 

Again, thank you everyone for your ideas, thoughts and inspiration.

Ben Fleskes

Big Ben Bricks LLC

42 minutes ago, benfleskes said:

Injected molded XXL wheels are in the works. Again look for a 2019 release.

That's fantastic news! Thank you so much! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, benfleskes said:

Update. 

Very much appreciate everyone's feedback and input.  Thank you.  

1) I've rerun Light gray and clear and those are all now available, including XL drivers in Light Gray. 

2) Based on survey response, In 2019 I'll bring Dark Red into the mix.  

3) Injected molded XXL wheels are in the works. Again look for a 2019 release. 

4) Have a solution for adding o-rings to BBB wheels as an 'added cost' option to improve traction.   More information forth coming. 

Again, thank you everyone for your ideas, thoughts and inspiration.

Ben Fleskes

Big Ben Bricks LLC

Each and every thing on that list is super awesome to hear. I'm especially looking forward to the added O-rings options - I've definitely struggled with traction on my locos wearing BBB drivers.

Injection molded XXLs are going to be great too. It's just great news all around.

Thanks for the update, Ben!

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Jeffinslaw said:

Any possibility for injection molded Boxpok drivers in various styles?

-Jeffinslaw

I'm with @Jeffinslaw on this one. I would also love to see some kind of partnership that would allow @zephyr1934 to offer his rods injection moulded. I can dream, can't I?

1 hour ago, ALCO said:

I'm with @Jeffinslaw on this one. I would also love to see some kind of partnership that would allow @zephyr1934 to offer his rods injection moulded. I can dream, can't I?

Injection molded side rods, injection modeled Boxpok drivers, we would be set! I would happily pay the price for that. Would probably be slightly cheaper since a larger amount can be produced.

-Jeffinslaw

Hi @benfleskes !

Care to share any updates & progress about your new 2019 offerings?

I see that the light grey option is available, but I am eagerly awaiting the release of xxL driver wheels!

:classic: