cptkent

Custom Train Wheels Combined Topic

Custom Train Wheels  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What wheel colors would you like to see?

• Black
    • Dark Blue
    • Red
    • Dark Red
    • Green
    • Gray (Light)
    • Dark Gray
    • Yellow
    • Orange
    • White
    • Other (explain below)
  2. 2. What wheel sizes would you like to see?

• Large (like 7750 / Emerald Night)
    • Medium (between Large and Normal like my 7760 shunter)
    • Normal (like the ones from the newer Train motors)
    • Retro (12V style)
    • For bogies with steel axles
    • Other (explain below)
  3. 3. What wheel accessories do you need?

• Driving rods
    • Other (explain below)

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Big Ben Bricks is still selling their custom wheels? I tried to send a couple of emails, but got a blank ‘auto reply’ both times.

thanks

Edited by cptkent
Autocorrect

17 minutes ago, cptkent said:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Big Ben Bricks is still selling their custom wheels? I tried to send a couple of emails, but got a blank ‘auto reply’ both times.

thanks

I believe so, but I can't be sure. I can't see why they wouldn't be...

(I last ordered some wheels many months ago when postage was $5, its now $15...)

I haven't seen many people on youtube for example buying wheels as of late except a couple in America, but even that was a good few weeks ago.

If you live in Europe it really isn't particularly cost effective with customs/import tax on top, in my opinion.

Personally I recommend having a look at train wheel designs people have on Shapeways (3d printing, etc), especially if you need anything with different number of spokes or different diameter (with or without motion pin hole).

Even though BBB's wheels are very good quality, I would definitely recommend you shop around a bit!

3D Printed Boxpok Drivers

Here's an example of the kind of stuff out there!

(This is from Jeffinslaw on Flickr)

i bought a set of wheels maybe 2 months ago.  They arrived really quckly ( sub week).

I have bought BB's wheels, but it was a long time ago.  I just looked the other day and saw the $15 just for shipping, when I know it shouldn't be anywhere near that.  A small padded bag can usually get away with just a couple of bucks of postage.

So now I will look more on BL, and perhaps when the new Hogwarts Express comes out, those parts will be available from Bricks and Pieces.

Hi, 

Yes, Big Ben Bricks is still alive and well.  And I even find time to lurk on Eurobricks from time to time.  Just sent an email through and it came through okay, so I'm not sure what the issue is.  Regardless, let me know how I can help. 

Cheers, 

Ben  F

Big Ben Bricks LLC

Hi!

There's every chance they are still selling, but may not be active on email. The last order I made was about a month ago however.

In terms of price, I would only encourage people in Europe buying BBB wheels if they are certain the cost will be cheaper even with the import taxes added. I normally buy from them in bulk to make it more worthwhile.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

It seems Ben is still active (refer above!). I'm not sure why my (gmail) email bounced.

Given the hundreds of hours I've put into the model (my first), and that it was base on 24mm wheels, the price seemed reasonable to me. But each to their own circumstances.

In the end, the order went through without a hitch.

David

got today my order:

cW7dOx3.jpg

quality is awesome, I'm very satisfied.

On 5/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, JEB314 (James) said:

If you live in Europe it really isn't particularly cost effective with customs/import tax on top, in my opinion.

Personally I recommend having a look at train wheel designs people have on Shapeways (3d printing, etc), especially if you need anything with different number of spokes or different diameter (with or without motion pin hole).

VAT in eu 18%–25%. price on shapeways 4–8€ per wheel, 1.5–3$ on bbb. shipping 10€ vs 15$. I don't see any cost effectiveness of shapeways. may be only if you need two wheels. And quality, I dont have wheels, but I have this one — I cant insert even axles into pinholes.

I visited Shapeways some month ago, they do an impressive job, but I still thing the BBB wheels look even better. There is now also some progress in 3D printing molds, that would help bring costs down for e.g. BBB.

7 hours ago, zg0 said:

cW7dOx3.jpg

This picture looks a lot like Stephenson's Rocket, Percy and Thomas :)

Btw yes BBB quality is outstanding, really like their products, but sadly you can't offer a huge variety with expensive molds :/

Edited by ScotNick

I didn’t put a photo up of mine, not much to see in 8 black wheels!

Just last night I started gathering the parts for the rest of MOC, I should be able to post a WIP in a month or so.

15 hours ago, ScotNick said:

This picture looks a lot like Stephenson's Rocket, Percy and Thomas :)

You are right, Percy and Thomas already done, but Stephenson's Rocket only planned.

Placed an order on Thursday the 28th and they were delivered yesterday July 2nd...and I'm in Illinois.

Good stuff, great service, worth it every time!

On 7/2/2018 at 11:15 AM, zg0 said:

got today my order:

cW7dOx3.jpg

quality is awesome, I'm very satisfied.

Ooooohhhh pretttyyyy colors!  Lol 

All joking aside those look like exceptional workmanship

@benfleskes Would it be possible to get some new colors on offer?

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't mind seeing silver, white, gold, and purple (or pink).

Maybe create a poll to see how much interest there is, and what color to produce?

I noticed that the Light Gray shade is in pictures, but no longer available.  Is this something that may be replaced in the future @benfleskes?

Hi, I'm interested in this train wheel from the wheel set in red: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=57878&name=Train Wheel RC Train&category=[Wheel]#T=C

I know big ben does custom wheels,  but I haven't seen these in particular. I've considered painting them, abut the paint would probably rub off quickly on the tracks. 

Big Ben Bricks does that size of wheel, though it's not exactly the same style (see Flanged Train Wheel 17.6mm). If that doesn't suit it, painting would probably work. It would only be the tread of the wheel that would wear off, might not be too noticeable...

He (Ben) does not have the same wheels AFAIK :( You can better use the wheels with a cross axle but I guess you want to fit them into the normal LEGO wheel holders.

On 7/5/2018 at 5:10 PM, Stash2Sixx said:

I noticed that the Light Gray shade is in pictures, but no longer available.  Is this something that may be replaced in the future @benfleskes?

On 7/5/2018 at 10:50 AM, M_slug357 said:

@benfleskes Would it be possible to get some new colors on offer?

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't mind seeing silver, white, gold, and purple (or pink).

Not sure how to do a eurobricks poll, but if somebody else can, I'm happy to offer a $100 Big Ben Bricks store credit to the first person that does.  Can't guarantee I'll run the new color options, but I'll do my best.   

So far I see suggestions for Light Gray, Silver, White, Gold, Purple and Pink.  To whomever sets up the poll, please add whatever colors you think prudent. 

Thanks. 

Ben F

Big Ben Bricks LLC

14 minutes ago, benfleskes said:

Not sure how to do a eurobricks poll, but if somebody else can, I'm happy to offer a $100 Big Ben Bricks store credit to the first person that does.  Can't guarantee I'll run the new color options, but I'll do my best.   

So far I see suggestions for Light Gray, Silver, White, Gold, Purple and Pink.  To whomever sets up the poll, please add whatever colors you think prudent. 

According to the EuroBrick FAQ, It will take a member with at least 500 posts. "Members are only allowed to create polls in their threads once they reach 500 posts. Until then a member of the Staff can create a poll for you if they deem it appropriate.".

David [well short of 500 posts :sad: ]

Edited by djm

10 hours ago, benfleskes said:

Thanks. 

Ben F

Big Ben Bricks LLC

Also short on the 500 posts, but maybe @JopieK or @zephyr1934 can help out? :sweet:

Btw, dark green and dark red would be a great colour, if that can be added to the poll!

Edited by ScotNick

Custom Train wheels are always a thing. LEGO makes very nice wheels, but sometimes we need something else. There are a number of reasons including:

- 12V grey era trains being used on newer systems (e.g. RC / PF / PU)
- Locomotives with distinct sizes and types of wheels
- Very rare wheel options (e.g. Santa Fe cars)
- etc. etc.

The most famous wheels as far as I'm aware are the infamous BBB (Big Ben Bricks) custom wheels by @benfleskes. People including @zephyr1934 also make additions including driving rods for steam engines.

This topic is intended for discussions on existing or desired options for all the LEGO train fans that do not consider adding custom options a violation of their hobby (including @JopieK).

Just to win over people that are still a little cautious about this:

20594058506_d7023cac29_z.jpg

The shunter on the left is a 7760-style PF train, it makes use of the 'medium' wheels by BBB and rods by @zephyr1934. The train on the right is making use of the red large BBB wheels, before LEGO came out with those (I think in the Toy Story train).

Please also add suggestions for the poll :) Note even after the update the poll seems to have issues so we will see how good it works.

Would it be possible to mold the wheels in two colours?  Silver or light gray for the parts that touch the rails and the rest in another colour?