mdbz

[MOC] Sapphire Eagle, my first steam loco

Hello

I like to share the result of Spark Industries' new side project.
The company produces modern locos and cars, but wants to salute the old times.
So designed a steam engine with enthusiasm and love.

She is a 4-6-4 Hudson type loco:

800x208.jpg

There wasn't a particular real loco for modelling, but the main shape based on Canadian Pacific 2816 and Union Pacific 844. She looks best on bigger turning radius, but deals with the standart lego curve and switch. The built width is 7..8 studs. The loco is 54 long, and with the tender it's 83. 

800x531.jpg

The Big Ben Bricks' XL wheels fitted mostly for the desired scale. Some curiosity:

The steam valve is a built in little pneumatic cylinder.

PF cable used for pipeline imitation:

800x531.jpg

The handrails on the boiler's two side made of the very old technic flex system's inner cable.

800x1205.jpg

Electric side:

2 PF train motor 
1 PF L motor
1 PF IR receiver (v2)
1 PF battery box
1 PF extension cable (50cm)
1 PF polarity switch

The tender contains all the PF elements, except the L motor and the extension cable. Two train motors are attached to one output of the IR receiver (of course, one of them with the polarity switch). The L motor is in the loco, connected to the other IR receiver out. That way, it's possibble to start the loco with full voltage, the big wheels slipping, and then turn on the main drivers in the tender.

800x531.jpg 

Some more pics:

800x531.jpg

800x304.jpg

800x533.jpg

Hope You like it!

The loco is really smart. Personally I'd look into lowering the tender a bit though. It was rare to have the tender sit higher than the loco's cab.

Very nice job @mdbz I agree with @Redimus about the proportions of the tender, Maybe making the tender also 8-wide could also improve it. Dark blue + yellow works very well indeed. Glad that LEGO gives us more and more parts in newer colors!

What a beautiful work, so much cool detail in the locomotive, specially delightfull in the boiler, the blue used is awesome. I would level the tender top with the loco cabin too.

ps: I think you confused the loco and tender stud length :)

Simply beautiful! The yellow lines on the tender are very well done as well as all the details on the loco.

Looks perfect! It would be cool TLG release it. But can it ride?

It's very nice, and congratulations on being front paged :thumbup: The blue colour scheme looks lovely and the technic cables make fantastic handrails. :classic:

Thanks for the appreciative words, I'm very happy about!

I'll try to raise the cab's roof with 1 or 2 plates. Sadly not possible to make the tender lower because of the the AA battery box (it's really big).

That is a beauty. Nice work! Any plans of posting it to the Ideas site? I would love it if something like this became an official set. 

12 hours ago, 22kane said:

That is a beauty. Nice work! Any plans of posting it to the Ideas site? I would love it if something like this became an official set. 

Thank You! Train projects don't receive many votes on ideas, but maybe it's worth to try.

Should I try it? Opinions?

She is on ideas now. Please support if You like ! :)

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:32 AM, mdbz said:

What a wonderful steam locomotive. I like the dark blue color and all detail of it. Do you have a running video of it? I'm curious for the movement of livery.

8 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

@mdbz just noticed your train seems to have gone from Lego Ideas. Did you decide to take it off?

Yes, I did. I was so excited and fully forget the rule on Ideas: only Lego parts can be used. Most sites/places the Big Ben Wheels are accepted, but on Ideas it isn't.

After I realized it , contacted with the support, and asked to remove the project. I am so sad especially because she received 500 suppots in five days, so she would have made it to 10000.

Very sorry... :cry_sad::sad:

5 hours ago, mdbz said:

Yes, I did. I was so excited and fully forget the rule on Ideas: only Lego parts can be used. Most sites/places the Big Ben Wheels are accepted, but on Ideas it isn't.

After I realized it , contacted with the support, and asked to remove the project. I am so sad especially because she received 500 suppots in five days, so she would have made it to 10000.

Very sorry... :cry_sad::sad:

Ah that's a shame. At least it showed you just how much people love your fantastic model though, as it was gaining support very fast. :classic: