Hello!

It has been a while since my last topic, so for starters, I have several things to show over the last months.

My TC14 Entry (WIP) Catapultanium!

800x600.jpg

Functions at the moment:

• Car for riders
  • Launch system, Bends back the beams ATM.
  • Gates

To be added:

• Small details (Lights Ect...)
  • Make it larger, with a gear rack system instead. (The current one doesn't work too well.)
  • Ouriggers (Safety first)

Some pictures for now:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Pictures will improve, Hope you like it. Would love some criticism to improve! 

For having the contest live for a day, this is really awesome.   I cant imagine what this is going to look like as a finished product.  

Simple, but effective, nice!! I will be following the progress!

Have you though about trying to recreate the actual mechanism the real ride uses? I have played with this idea myself as a possible MOC similar to my other ride and my initial findings were the mechanism works, but will require a lot more mini pulley wheels than I have right now.  Good luck ? 

2 hours ago, aminnich said:

For having the contest live for a day, this is really awesome. I cant imagine what this is going to look like as a finished product.  

Simple, but effective, nice!! I will be following the progress!

Hopefully it looks just as good final as it is at the moment.

1 hour ago, Bublehead said:

Have you though about trying to recreate the actual mechanism the real ride uses? I have played with this idea myself as a possible MOC similar to my other ride and my initial findings were the mechanism works, but will require a lot more mini pulley wheels than I have right now.  Good luck ? 

It will be a little larger, I will make room for the pulleys. It is modeled after most launchers, but I wanted to do something different. We shall see how it ends up.

Thank you both.

What ever you do, don't change the name. It's awesome and really funny.

I'm really keen to see how far will minifigs going to fly.

18 minutes ago, pagicence said:

What ever you do, don't change the name. It's awesome and really funny.

I'm really keen to see how far will minifigs going to fly.

With how it launches now, there will be flying. I will not change the name.

Sorry for a few days later update, Here is some progress:

Updated Structure:

• Tall and rigid,
  • Space for rubber bands, 
  • Launches fast, (Not attached ATM)

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Hope you enjoy your day!

Edited by Aventador2004

I really love this concept, will you be hooking the pod and then tension the wires? or will you just make the wires move very fast with the arms?

24 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

I really love this concept, will you be hooking the pod and then tension the wires? or will you just make the wires move very fast with the arms?

Thank you. Hope this makes up for TC13.

I will be using reverse 2:1 pulleys, gaining speed for just one launch. Then you pull the gear racks tensioned and release the pod in this order:

Steps:

1. Pull gear racks to position.
  2. Rachet them.
  3. Put pod in position,
  4. Release rachets simultaneously upward. 
  5. Hold on!

The pod will also be spring loaded by adding other tension bands to the pulley.

Pictures:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Thanks for following my progress! I also am considering going a little larger for motorization. I most likely will leave it manual though.

This is a pretty simple, ingenious mechanism! I wasn't sure where this was going at first, but now I think this is really nice! Do you plan on coupling the ratchets?

32 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

This is a pretty simple, ingenious mechanism! I wasn't sure where this was going at first, but now I think this is really nice! Do you plan on coupling the ratchets?

Thank you. Yes, I plan on using bevel gears for the rachets. I also will see if simultaneous rack movement is possible.

both racks off the one input would be way better. Also with the release ratchets if that's what you plan?

have you tested yet? does the chair miss those overhanging bits when it shoots up?

personally I would not go bigger, I think this is looking rather good at this scale and motorisation in my opinion would be lost on this.

if I am seeing it right though (correct me if wrong) to bring the chair back down you have to tension the bands again for the next ride? It may be nit picky but that could be OHS issue if people are climbing in and out when its tensioned ready to go :laugh:

:thumbup:

8 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

both racks off the one input would be way better. Also with the release ratchets if that's what you plan?

have you tested yet? does the chair miss those overhanging bits when it shoots up?

personally I would not go bigger, I think this is looking rather good at this scale and motorisation in my opinion would be lost on this.

if I am seeing it right though (correct me if wrong) to bring the chair back down you have to tension the bands again for the next ride? It may be nit picky but that could be OHS issue if people are climbing in and out when its tensioned ready to go :laugh:

The problem with this version is the launch is too fast. I think taller may happen. Enough to winch it up there quick.

5 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Nice, it looks much better than the original design, though IMO the mechanism looks very inefficient...

Maybe these will interest you: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzI7cvWUAA8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_bungee

Thank you both, I will be working during this week. I'm on summer break.

Okay, those following. I need some help deciding.

• Should I allow the car to bounce,
  • Should I add a single string on the bottom to stabilize the spinning,
  • If make it a catapult, then drop the car.

I think #3 is a great idea for it. Have the car ride through launch, then lock, then drop to the bottom.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Letting it bounce is a very tricky thing, the cables must tension up enough after release to prevent the car from hitting a pole.
If it's loose enough to bounce, it might be loose enough to hit a pole I imagine... 

Looking at the video mocbuilder101 posted I'd say loads of pulley's is the way to go, but making sure the string can't snap off the pulley's is an issue maybe?

spinning the cart is fine, twisting the cables is not, maybe a swivel mounting option for the car? 

22 minutes ago, shadow_elenter said:

but making sure the string can't snap off the pulley's is an issue maybe?

Yes it is right now. I can't pulley enough to spin it up. I will try one more idea.

**Not a bump**

I just want to let those following know that I am still competing, but have many other things going. I should have a new update soon. Thanks!

Here is an update, most likely a final one:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Now launched by rubber bands. I also added gates and some foliage to add a little detail. What do you think?

Video:

(To be added)

7 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Nice, though IMO the plants don't really suit it...

The real ones seem to have some grass or plants around, so I put them there. Also seems plain on the ground without them. Thanks though.