Jim

[REVIEW] Pure Display - 75192 - Millennium Falcon Stand and Display Case

36793169692_63b7f37cee_b.jpg

REVIEW - 75192 - MILLENNIUM FALCON - STAND AND DISPLAY CASE

42084477571_6d0603d36e_b.jpg

INTRODUCTION

After building the new UCS Millennium Falcon, I was looking for a way to display it. In the past I have visited the Pure Display website, because they are making all kinds of cool display cases, not only for LEGO models (collectibles). Recently they launched the iDisplayIt.co.uk website which is dedicated to LEGO models and collectibles.

When I finished building the Falcon, they only had the horizontally placed display case, also used for the 10179. When I contacted Pure Display asking them for a vertically placed display case, I got into contact with Steve Chan. I sent him an Efferman stand and he got cracking. After a while, he showed the display case AND a stand to go with it. In this review I will show you what it's all about. But not before I thank Steve for the pleasant contact we had and providing me with one of the first new cases and stands.

CONTENTS OF THE BOX

Given the size of the display case, the box obviously needs to be pretty big. Everything is nicely packed with bubble protection.

28212243228_71cd29a1a3_b.jpg

After getting rid of the bubbles, we are left with some acrylic plates. Don't be scared off by the blue color. That's just the protective coating, which we need to remove.

28212242908_f206fb0bce_b.jpg

This "set" also comes with instructions, just like the model it will contain. Albeit, way less pages than the Falcon itself. Instructions are easy to follow. Actually, you probably won't need them at all, since building the case is very much self-explanatory.

28212242828_584bd89298_b.jpg

STAND HORIZONTALLY

The cool thing about the stand is, that it has two modes, horizontally and vertically. Below is a picture of horizontal mode. The areas where the model will be resting on the stand are nicely protected with rubber clips. The panels of the stand are securely connected using screws. Unlike the Falcon, the stand won't fall apart when moving. More on that later.

42039722222_3878c1f451_b.jpg

This is how the Falcon is positioned in horizontal mode. There's a slight angle, which makes it look totally awesome.

42039721982_d84220c1c6_b.jpg

And a picture from the rear. I absolutely love this position.

28212242428_e2947dbb74_b.jpg

STAND VERTICALLY

The second mode is the vertical mode. The Falcon is placed at a different angle, which allows for displaying it with less footprint. As you can see my copy of the stand came with an iron patter in it :wink:

28212242598_e86a84c514_b.jpg

What happens when you are alone in the house and you want to change the display from horizontal to vertical mode, and the landing struts aren't attached to the Falcon. Well, you grab the falcon in one hand and you try to turn the display stand. Which works perfectly fine, until you miss the attachment point when placing it back on the stand. Then you lose control and all kinds of unwanted events occur :P

28212242238_e0d7186d28_b.jpg

Luckily, this isn't a crash, but a controlled landing. I managed to put the Falcon down, but unlike the movies, the Falcon did suffer severe damage. Let's say the Force wasn't strong with this one.

28212242198_b0ec987862_b.jpg

At that point I called a friend. We reassembled the hunk of junk and put it on the display together. Be careful when you do this alone. It's better to have someone assist you.

So, here it is, placed vertically. As you can see, it takes up less space when placed like this. 

28212242038_9de04bde9b_b.jpg

For me, this is the ideal setup, since my cabinet isn't that big. And it does look rather impressive. This definitely results in some oooohhhhs and ahhhhhs.

28212241998_174f87aeae_b.jpg

DISPLAY CASE

Of course, my initial mission was having it in a display case. Low and behold! I would love to make some scenery at the bottom, to make it more lively. But this has nothing to do with the display case, which is absolutely magnificent. The model is nicely protected from dust...and childrens touching it :laugh:

42084477571_6d0603d36e_b.jpg

Yes, it is big and you need to have a spot for this bad boy. But when you have room for it, I can definitely recommend getting a this case.

41365421234_4c9cef565d_b.jpg

PRICE

What do these products cost?

The stand costs 48 GBP.
The display case costs 162 GBP.

Both excluding shipping costs.

THE VERDICT

This solution definitely doesn't come cheap. However, if you are looking for a professional display solution to protect your precious Falcon, this definitely is a great product. I highly recommend it, if you don't mind forking out the cash. I also have the Ghostbusters HQ display case and I absolutely love both products. I will definitely get some more display cases from Pure Display in the future!

Thanks you for reading this review. All pictures can be found here.

Awesome review Jim! Was a very entertaining read and even tho I already knew your little crash "landing" story I was pretty shocked when I saw the picture. Glad you had fun getting it back in shape :thumbup:

As for the display there is absolutely no doubt that it looks totally awesome!!! Now I really have a craving for a Falcon my own.

But one question remains: Did you and @Kitty agreed on putting it in the livingroom :tongue:

First post (long time lurker but wanted to comment in this)!

Thanks for the review - been waiting for this ever since you reviewed the last stand. My UCS Falcon was started on Father's Day but I'm building it with my two young kids who won't let me build it without them. That and the hot weather in the UK at the minute have slowed the progress so I'm still only on step 5/17 but already it's looking to be a beast in need of some serious display considerations.

My son's A-Wing (75175) will sit alongside it when finished and while I'd love a full ROTJ style rebel hanger (with A-Wings, B-Wings, X-Wings, Y-Wings and maybe a stolen Imperial Shuttle) that will need to wait for some space to be cleared in the house.

Quick question - with the stand placed horizontally does the stand stick out considerably at the back? I'll admit I like the idea of a case that stops small fingers as well as dust build up but at the moment my space is limited. You're right though - that angle looks perfect.

This is going to be an expensive new hobby!

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Great to see you upgrading from lurker to poster hehe.

What do you mean by "stick out at the back"? Obviously, the model won't fit the display case when placed horizontally (you can see in the pics that it's probably 50% too big or so). The actual question might be; will it fit the horizontal version of the display case? Is that what you mean?

48 minutes ago, Skalldyr said:

But one question remains: Did you and @Kitty agreed on putting it in the livingroom :tongue:

I'm afraid that conflict will go on for 9 installments and will take more than 40 years :wink: 

Looking at the space left, this will probably fit. 

Lego-75192-UCS-Millennium-Falcon-Box4_d.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Hi Steve,

Great to see you upgrading from lurker to poster hehe.

What do you mean by "stick out at the back"? Obviously, the model won't fit the display case when placed horizontally (you can see in the pics that it's probably 50% too big or so). The actual question might be; will it fit the horizontal version of the display case? Is that what you mean?

Not exactly what I meant but that's a good point as well. I was simply wondering whether it adds any extra width to the model i.e. I'd need space > 56cm deep to display like that.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Thanks for the review. I looked ad Pure Display before but the price including shipping kinda put me off. However for the MF a case is justified.

But do you think due to weight there is any chance on sagging if you place the MF vertically?

Just now, Mooste said:

Thanks for the review. I looked ad Pure Display before but the price including shipping kinda put me off. However for the MF a case is justified.

But do you think due to weight there is any chance on sagging if you place the MF vertically?

The model sagging on the stand? Or what exactly do you mean?

I love the horizontal position of this stand but not at that price!

On 7/11/2018 at 10:12 AM, Jim said:

The model sagging on the stand? Or what exactly do you mean?

Yes, although unlikely, it is a lot of weight.

Edited by Mooste

I purchased the horizontal display case and am very pleased with it. I went a little further though, and decided to create a hangar bay theme to fit inside as well as an outer framework so it can sit perfectly within a coffee table:

Stage 04aStage 04e

Stage 05d

Design instructions can be found here if anyone is interested: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-16224/Scene/hangar-bay-display

Edited by Scene

Does anyone know of a display case similar to this that’s available in the States?

I’d love to buy one but $100 shipping to the US is enough to make me wait it out for a more cost effective option. 

On 9/14/2018 at 4:51 AM, Scene said:

I purchased the horizontal display case and am very pleased with it. I went a little further though, and decided to create a hangar bay theme to fit inside as well as an outer framework so it can sit perfectly within a coffee table:

Design instructions can be found here if anyone is interested: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-16224/Scene/hangar-bay-display

Thanks for posting this and going through the trouble of putting it on rebrickable. I love the design!

On 9/14/2018 at 5:22 PM, Tobey457 said:

Does anyone know of a display case similar to this that’s available in the States?

I’d love to buy one but $100 shipping to the US is enough to make me wait it out for a more cost effective option. 

Yes! We at Kingdom Brick Supply are authorised distributors of IDisplayIt and Pure Display products! Simply visit us online at http://shop.kingdombricksupply.com

Edited by KingdomBrickSupply

@Jim Nice stand! I have to look at one for mine. But I haven't decided on where to put it: either in a shelf or in a coffee table. @Scene your idea is also quite good.

Probably a daft question, but the MK2 version of the idisplayit stand does work without landing gear attached as well right? (the sales pitch only mentions that you can now leave the landing gear on)

41 minutes ago, Renegade Clone said:

Probably a daft question, but the MK2 version of the idisplayit stand does work without landing gear attached as well right? (the sales pitch only mentions that you can now leave the landing gear on)

Without having seen any of the MK2, I would say yes. You CAN leave the landing gear on. Not you MUST leave the landing gear on.

Other than that, I think it's safe to assume that the stand doesn't rely on the landing gear to rest the vehicle.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Without having seen any of the MK2, I would say yes. You CAN leave the landing gear on. Not you MUST leave the landing gear on.

Other than that, I think it's safe to assume that the stand doesn't rely on the landing gear to rest the vehicle.

Correct, the stand does not need the landing gear to work.

25 minutes ago, storskogen said:

Personally, I think light bluish gray would look much better than white on the new X-wing, as it was used for the resistance X-wing from 2016. A similar color combination was also used on the Quadjumper, which is in my opinion one of the best looking SW sets. Other toys also show that Poe’s new X-wing is more gray than white: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0727/8355/products/1-72-poe-s-x-wing-fighter-the-rise-of-skywalker-ver-00_1200x1200.jpg?v=1570379639

If they could replicate the distribution of those colours in bricks like on that model, yes. But they can't, so mainly white is better. Doesn't matter, will buy.

I'm a bit disappointed by the Dagger. The shape of the wings is ok, but the colours are way off. The red is too bright, the black should be brown. The cockpit and struts are a huge let-down, looks more like a 4+. I will still buy it, because i collect different TIEs and i don't think we'll ever get another Dagger in the future. But i hope for a more accurate MOC, the design deserves it.

Edited by m4st3rt3ch