Jim

[TC14] Technic Theme Park Contest - Information Topic - Deadline 7th of September

4 minutes ago, Tofe59 said:

Do I have the right to submit this MOC?

Or does it have to be a new creation?

On 7/3/2018 at 11:46 AM, Jim said:

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).

14 minutes ago, Tofe59 said:

Thank you for the answer.
I could not do anything new, my stock is empty :cry2:

Cannibalize your ride and create a B-model :wink:

It is a nice rollercoaster btw! 

I need my MOC because I still have 2 exposures :sweet:

I can try to make a very small coaster :wink:

2 hours ago, Tofe59 said:

I need my MOC because I still have 2 exposures :sweet:

That would be a great entry! Saw the original on YouTube a few days ago.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:24 PM, Tofe59 said:

Very often small builds end up pretty high on our score table. :thumbup:

Instead of just building the first idea that came to mind like all over contests, I spend some time to think of the best idea I had.  Time to start building :) 

The other builds are really looking good.  Keep up the good work guys!!

I have started too (building the first idea that came to mind :wink:@aminnich), and I have to say, this is going to be challenging. I mean, doing he ride's movements is one thing, but I run into multiple problems immediaely:

• this thing is going to be huge. I don't like that. It's already about 70 studs long, which I find a bit much.
  • the entrances/exits need to move out of the way before the ride can run. So I need moveable entrance/exits
  • how to operate the restraints without the restraints getting loose during the ride. I'd like to have the moperated from the "floor", rather than from the cart itself (in the latter case it would be easy).

I'm mentioning this because maybe others haven't thought about this yet. People need to enter and exit the car somehow, and we would like them to be safe during the ride's course.

For the restraints I see two options:

• mechanic (driven with an axle through the turntable). But as the car hangs on rotating arms, any motion of the arms will also "unwind" any axles through the turntables (people doing crawler cranes probably know this), meaning the restraints may get loose over time
  • pneumatic. But then, the pneumatic tubing prevents the arms from rotating unlimited, which makes things less fun to operate.

So I wonder, for those thinking about operating restraints from the base rather than the car, how do you tackle this?

I don't know your design, but maybe you can have some trip on the bottom or sides of the cart which unlocks the restraints, and keep them closed (with a spring or similar) if the entry/exit points are not docked?

Or maybe a push/pull configuration which also can be done by pneumatic. In that way it can rotate unlimited. Does it make sense? 

@Erik Leppen Not sure what space you have to work with, but what if you use a clutch like this:
2lkpa0x.jpg

That way the mechanisme is probably not affected by the slower turning of the turntable, and the actual mechanism is engaged when a higher speed is introduced by a motor:wink:

Direction of spin might be an issue, I'd expect it to "grab"a lot better in one direction and less in the other.
Maybe you can get around this given you don't need a lot of torque.

I've never used this technique myself, sow maybe it doesn't work at all:laugh:.

Hope it helps!

PS: Maybe you should open a topic because this is not really the place to discuss this (sorry Jim).

Edited by shadow_elenter

@Erik Leppen I had to convince myself to build this one. 

I feel like it is going to get pretty big and I'm going to need to make a bricklink order eventually. I don't normally like buying more parts just for a contest, but we shall see. 

Bionicle is Lego so I don’t see why not. We can use System stuff, so I would assume we could use Bionicle or Duplo if we wanted. As long as the model ends up clearly being a Technic one

I must say, I really like this competition so far. Looking at all the wip topics shows some technic at its best, both structural building and functionwise. Great topic choice @Jim and @Milan and other staff involved:thumbup:

16 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

I must say, I really like this competition so far. Looking at all the wip topics shows some technic at its best, both structural building and functionwise. Great topic choice @Jim and @Milan and other staff involved:thumbup:

I love it too. I didn't expect it to go this well.

But I need to give credit where credit is due, because @dhc6twinotter came up with the idea of the fairground theme :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

Bionicle is Lego so I don’t see why not. We can use System stuff, so I would assume we could use Bionicle or Duplo if we wanted. As long as the model ends up clearly being a Technic one

This :thumbup:

Thanks @Erik Leppen I didn’t think of these things at all! Too busy trying to design a ride.

the biggest hurdle (so far) was coming up with something original (that might not be a good thing)

Now to implement all this other stuff too. Good...fun :iamded_lol:

I am curious if people are using blueprints to build there ride more to scale or if you guys are just eyeballing the dimensions

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

I am curious if people are using blueprints to build there ride more to scale or if you guys are just eyeballing the dimensions

I think function is far more important for this contest than perfect scaling, so probably the latter... (though I can only speak for myself)

4 hours ago, aminnich said:

Im using blueprints

Edited by KikoTube

Personally, I am trying to eyeball it, but I am having trouble visualizing the size/scale of the build.  

I'd say build a ride, don't try to EXACTLY copy an existing one, And if you want to base it on an existing one see what you can improve upon the real thing!
It's LEGO! You have billions of options to make a ride, and the limitations of the real builders are not always our limitations!

Take my rollercoaster, It's cool but it wil never be a real world thing because it's to complex to be affordable to maintain and keep up with all the safety checks a them park has to do.
I was not held down by those restrictions and thus I went outside the box, and I think that's one of the beauty's of LEGO!