Mehul

[MOC] ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam

This is a model based on Draez's model. I came across his brickshelf folder sometime in 2006.

As soon as I saw the available LDR files I knew I had to build the model. What ensued was my first and only large scale lego project. I learnt the basics of ldraw to make out the construction and found a lot of clipping sections and parts that I did not have access to, so I changed quite a few things internally both to substitute parts and improve stability while still trying to maintain the shaping. About a year later I was done with model and since 2008 the strike freedom has stood on my shelf. 

Its missing 4 of its 8 dragoon and the colour scheme makes no sense but I'm quite proud of it. 

I'll be moving this year, so I thought that I'd take a few photos and share them before I packing it.

xyEoqVMl.jpg

7SzlPvzl.jpg

65JAE6Jl.jpg

7314QFDl.jpg

yhqvU6sl.jpg

mmrIpHAl.jpg

wRhkpZdl.jpg

Y9bwvxLl.jpg

Edited by Mehul
Added a few more images.

8 hours ago, Ninja_Bait said:

Those photos are great, they really make the model pop.  It would be cool to see it in all grey bricks.

Ninja_Bait,

Actually, in the aforementioned series, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and its sequel Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, these "Gundams" or specialty mecha (They cannot be accurately referred to as "Gundam" as that is the name of their special operating system in the series.) are equipped with "Variable Phase Shift Armor." The result is that when they are first introduced and or subsequently powered down, they indeed have a drab grey color scheme. But upon activation the color show that "Gundams" are known for comes about. Compare these two pictures of models of this Gundam for an example Variable Phase Shift Armor Deactivated to Variable Phase Shift Armor Activated

Mehul,

Great rendition of the Strike Freedom. It has a lot of detail despite the small scale.

3D LEGO

14 hours ago, 3D LEGO said:

Ninja_Bait,

Actually, in the aforementioned series, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and its sequel Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, these "Gundams" or specialty mecha (They cannot be accurately referred to as "Gundam" as that is the name of their special operating system in the series.) are equipped with "Variable Phase Shift Armor." The result is that when they are first introduced and or subsequently powered down, they indeed have a drab grey color scheme. But upon activation the color show that "Gundams" are known for comes about. Compare these two pictures of models of this Gundam for an example Variable Phase Shift Armor Deactivated to Variable Phase Shift Armor Activated

Oh, cool!  Thanks for the facts - I don't know much about Gundam.  That adds an interesting layer to the photography.

On 7/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, Ninja_Bait said:

Those photos are great, they really make the model pop.  It would be cool to see it in all grey bricks.

Thank you, I'm definitely tempted to do a redesign that  has a more coherent colour scheme since my selection of parts has grown.

15 hours ago, 3D LEGO said:

Ninja_Bait,

^_^ Truth be told while taking the black and white photos I just wanted to downplay the rainbow warrior nature of the build. Only thought about the in universe lore explanation after the fact.