What are your favorite MOC genres to build within, admire others' work from, or aspire to hopefully build within in the near future if you'll ever have the opportunity?

Whether they be based upon past or present preexisting themes, licenses, or product lines already covered by Lego (Star Wars, Classic Space, Ninjago, etc.), or perhaps they've never been truly touched upon by Lego (Steampunk, Post-Apocalyptic, Licensed Franchises never yet partnered with TLG, etc.), discuss your favorites here and share creations from those genres built by yourself or others. :classic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

For me, probably some of my all-time favorite MOCs are within the Dieselpunk, Decopunk, Raypunk, and Sky-Fi genres, which are all focused upon retrofuturism from the first half of the twentieth century or retrofuturism that takes after the stylistic aspirations of the first half of the twentieth century. Here are a few Flickr galleries featuring some of my favorite MOCs from these genres, each with a small, three picture sampling posted below each link:

Flickr - Digger of Bricks Dieselpunk/Decopunk Favorites 

Spoiler
Antige-VIMG_0709Intrepid (Main)

Flickr - Digger of Bricks Sky-Fi Favorites 

Spoiler
F-49A PatriotV-30 Warhawk | original by Jon HallSky Fighters Roundup 2

Flickr - The Work of Vincent Gachod 

Spoiler
Machine_n°3SL20 StreamlinerThe Mechanic

Flickr - Digger of Bricks Retro Space Favorites 

Spoiler
Quantum 1PhantasmHL2002

I really love buildable figures (especially cute girls), ranging from Bionicle-style robot action figures to more System-based dolls and sculptures. As examples, here are a few from my Favorites folder on Flickr:

Edited by Aanchir

Just now, Aanchir said:

As examples, here are a few from my Favorites folder on Flickr:

Hey, how were you able to get the thumbnail images of each of those? 

6 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey, how were you able to get the thumbnail images of each of those? 

You hit the little swooshy arrow-shaped "Share" button on the lower right of any Flickr page, then when the dialog box comes up click "BBCode" and select "Thumbnail" from the drop-down menu. Then just copy and paste the code that appears right above that drop down menu.

If you ever want to use bigger images there are also a lot of larger sizes available.

Edited by Aanchir

Also, I do have a thing for "classical" Classic Space, particularly if the MOCs evoke or pay homage to some of the original Classic Space sets from then, such as the Galaxy Explorer. Here's another Flickr gallery showcasing some of my favorite homages to the LL928:

Flickr - Lego's Galaxy Explorer...REIMAGINED! 

Spoiler

1Galaxy Explorer 2.0  Profile AClassic Space Nostalgic RebuildGalaxyExplorerMainGalaxy Explorer Class Craft

12 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

You hit the little swooshy arrow-shaped "Share" button on the lower right of any Flickr page, then when the dialog box comes up click "BBCode" and select "Thumbnail" from the drop-down menu. Then just copy and paste the code that appears right above that drop down menu.

Ah, okay, thanks for that! Though I haven't tried it for awhile now, I used to utilize that process for other image resizes in the past before, but I'd never taken note of the thumbnail option before. :classic:

Thanks for that link.  It's kind of a one stop shop for inspiration as I keep plugging away at my Galaxy Explorer redux.  I may end up borrowing some of the ideas for the rock work, but I'm pretty much done with the ship and base, except for the physical build.

Back on topic, my favorite MOC genres to see are detailed minifig-compatible scale models of aircraft, ships, "real space," and Star Wars vehicles, plus Classic Space builds with clean lines.  My favorite genres to build, though I haven't built much so far, are spacecraft inspired by real space and Classic Space (I don't have the patience to do a scale model of a pre-existing subject).

On 7/2/2018 at 9:34 PM, chubbybots2 said:

For me it will be mechs (system and bionicle) and creatures!!! 

I just love all of your System Mecha creations, especially your Gypsy Avenger project over on Ideas! :thumbup: :blush:

On 7/1/2018 at 6:45 PM, icm said:

Thanks for that link.  It's kind of a one stop shop for inspiration as I keep plugging away at my Galaxy Explorer red

There's also this one expired Ideas project that isn't featured in that gallery, as I haven't found it over on Flickr:

LEGO Ideas - LL930 Galaxy Explorer 

Spoiler

1719534-o_199p2gk0919jbbea13fh1b0lbk87-t

Also, I just shared this over on the 2018 Nexo Knights discussion topic:

Adventure themed MOCs are my staple but I flit between themes and genres in LEGO so much. Of course, most things have a twist of the fantastical or science-fictional as the confines of normalcy are just so boring.

Simply put, I like to build.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:45 PM, icm said:

Thanks for that link.  It's kind of a one stop shop for inspiration as I keep plugging away at my Galaxy Explorer redux.

Not sure if you've revisited that gallery more recently for further inspiration, but here are three more recent redux builds based upon LL928 that perhaps you may or may not have seen! :classic:

Large Galaxy Explorer by Alec Hole

Spoiler
Large Galaxy Explorer

NCS Galaxy Explorer by @Gbailey46

Spoiler
NCS Galaxy Explorer

Unnamed Galaxy Explorer Redesign/Reimagining by Ben Smith

Spoiler
Build 19 A

Town first, castle/medieval second, general spooky things third.

• The part of my brain that made me dream about being an architect when i was little has led to me loving modular buildings. been working on combining a couple buildings near my home into a modular style build, and i have ideas for a ton more where that came from if i finish the thing.

Then for castle, i guess i'd blame fantasy games/books/movies. done some experimentation with combining and modding the various castle-like sets we have, although i haven't done any huge mocs.

Then for spooky things in general, it mostly boils down to daydreaming ambitious annual halloween mocs that don't get completed.

^^ I've been back to that gallery quite a bit, actually, and I've seen all three of those.  I like Alec Hole's model a lot, and I think Ben Smith's model is really creative.  Alec's model does a great job of scaling up the classic shape with relatively restrained greebling and smooth modern parts, while Ben's takes all the usual elements of a Galaxy Explorer and applies them to a model that isn't simply a scaled-up version of the 1979 set.  I can't say I'm a big fan of GBailey's build.  He plays a little with the wing shape to try to make his model different from all the others, but it ends up looking like something squashed it flat as a pancake without showing much creativity in the design of the blue fuselage box or the engines.  I'm hardly one to preach about creativity, though, seeing how my go-to activity in Studio is copying builds that I've seen online - see, for instance, the last thing I posted to Flickr, a modified Galaxy Explorer posted to Ideas in 2014:

Spoiler
LL 930 Galaxy Explorer by NeoMMD76

Edited by icm

1 minute ago, icm said:

I'm hardly one to preach about creativity, though, seeing how my go-to activity in Studio is copying builds that I've seen online - see, for instance, the last thing I posted to Flickr, a modified Galaxy Explorer posted to Ideas in 2014:

Reveal hidden contents

LL 930 Galaxy Explorer by NeoMMD76

Ah, I instantly knew exactly which Ideas project you're talking about upon seeing your latest redux! :sweet:

LEGO Ideas - LL 930 Galaxy Explorer by NeoMMD76

Current Submission Image

5 minutes ago, icm said:

I can't say I'm a big fan of GBailey's build.  He plays a little with the wing shape to try to make his model different from all the others, but it ends up looking like something squashed it flat as a pancake without showing much creativity in the design of the blue fuselage box or the engines. 

I see, I suppose it makes the ship look a little more like a saucer-craft rather than a shuttle. Still, I'm quite impressed by his diagonally-constructed wings! :classic:

I like outdoor scenes with lots of foliage and landscape features. I build lots of trees in my own MOCs (especially for fall with all the colors).