I' ve decided to make an alternative model for 42054 CLAAS XERION 5000 TRAC VC set. I' ve wanted to design something different from all those excellent c models already made, so I made a truck capable of off-road conditions, with crane and many other functions. 

The result:

Functions:

• rear axle drive with 4 piston engine
  • steering
  • live axle suspension
  • side outriggers
  • cabin tilting
  • rear PTO (power take off)
  • crane arm rotation
  • crane arm 1st stage elevation
  • crane arm 2nd stage elevation
  • grabber closing/opening

Please watch the video to see this machine in action and for more details.

Main.jpg

This model is powered by one m motor with rotation direction selection. It powers main selector, crane selector. and PTO. Main selector switches between worm gear powered functions and arm rotation. When worm gear functions are selected, there is another switch to choose between outriggers and cabin tilting. The crane selector switches between 1st and 2nd stage elevation.

I had to use some interesting (I think) solutions because of parts selection in 42054 set:

Piston engine

There are no piston engine parts in the set, so i made them from some connectors. You can see it working in the video.

Suspension

There are no shock absorbers or wishbones too. So I' ve made a suspension based on twisting axles:

susp1.png

Every wishbone is suspended independly. 3 of those connected to axle make a well-working long travel soft off-road suspension:

susp2.png

Grabber

There was a grabber in original set, but when building the grabber I've already used the worm gear for more important functions, so I' ve designed a different locking mechanism:

grab1.png

grab2.png

Turning the green axle makes the red grabber frame move up and down and becouse of engaging the blue knob gear with h-frame opening and closing blue grabber.

Instructions

Instructions are already available here on rebrickable!

I hope you liked this model.

Edited by Hogwartus
Instructions!

Well done! Love the suspension more than other functions (that are also cool!):thumbup:

Based on very limited parts variation it is great work indeed. As @Maaboo35 said like lime Unimog...

Thank you all!

@pagicence I've just reuploaded pictures using bricksafe, is it working now?

It is not unimog replica but it was an inspiration, as the most famous offroad truck...

Tried making one of these using the set, great work! How many parts do you estimate?

This might be the best C-model I've seen for the Claas... Excellent model with a ton of cool functions, especially the suspension using torsion bars instead of shocks. :thumbup: I never would have thought about using them on an off-road truck like that.

12 hours ago, Hogwartus said:

I've just reuploaded pictures using bricksafe, is it working now?

Yup. Now only remains to be seen who will create an ultimate off-roader using this type of suspension. And to test it's maximum capabilities.

@Hogwartus can you do a video of some off-road or rock crawling driving? I think that all of us are interested to see the suspension in action (at least I am).

I am very impressed. Job very well done! Suspension idea is great and could be indeed tried out for some trial trucks. How many parts of the set are leftovers?

Edited by MajklSpajkl

This is great. Well done on using simple solutions based on the parts you had available. The suspension and engine are great examples.

The coloring looks great, and the general proportions of the MOC are great (My Unimog bias is coming out again).

Looking forward to more builds.

@Paul B please do not post just a link to your blog (we have had this discussion four times already).
Post relevant pictures or text, here on EB.

Btw, your link is redirecting to a non-lego part of the blog, so I have removed it.

Impressive! Surprised to see this as a alternate rather than standalone MOC. Your model seem to be quite big and heavy, so I wouldn't recommend keeping it on wheels for extended period of time. Axles in you torsion bar suspension would eventually deform a little under the weight. While suspension works great the effect of deformation gets noticeable even in a smaller and lighter MOCs (did that myself some time ago).

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, MajklSpajkl said:

I am very impressed. Job very well done! Suspension idea is great and could be indeed tried out for some trial trucks. How many parts of the set are leftovers?

Hi! Where I can see models number 2 and 3 from pictures of your signature?

@Skalf: I'll send you a PM as this is rather off topic...

EDIT: I just noticed you are a new memebr so you'll need 10 posts to read your messages. Try searcinh for Inverno & Inferno and for MAN M1001. The last ine can be found on my YT channel as well.

Edited by MajklSpajkl