Kijani the Earth Dragon

Next Elemental Dragon >

When Henjin Quilones and Galaria the Exiled Elf went to the Land of Mwamba, they stayed in the city of Bandari for a while, but eventually they traveled out to see the lands beyond the city. There they met the Lady Maua and her earth dragon, Kijani. The dragons of Mwamba are divided into four categories: Earth, Water, Fire, and Air. They serve as the guardians and protectors of each of their respective elements. The Earth of the rolling hills and plains is the special province of Kijani and Maua. 

28800713788_97d63e695c_c.jpg

........................................................................................................................................

Bonus shots:

Spoiler

41955760594_fa8324f49f_z.jpg

42625079522_e482a7a01a_z.jpg

42673570671_c52812970b_z.jpg

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Wow! Just wow! I have so much respect when it comes to builders that can with blocky lego elements create so organic and natural looking animals and dragons!

love this one! The colour scheme works great!!

Awesome!!!  The color scheme is great, the sand green and brown work well together.  The mixel joints are great for this kind of stuff.  Really like the eyes too. 

Very nice!  I really like the lines and the attention to detail that you have with the joints on the legs, etc.  I think the rider is my favorite part.  The only part that does not have me totally convinced is the eyes.  They look good when you zoom in, but from a distance, they stick out to me.  I think this is an artifact of proportion, something that we are constrained with as builders and given Lego stud and piece size.  I think maybe I want the eye to be more sunken into a socket or something... I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have noticed this with a lot of official Lego builds before.  In any case, you have done an amazing job.  Great work!  I love seeing the brick built dragons.

Absolutely a stunning dragon, almost a pity it distracts from the great base :wink: 

I really like the colourscheme, using sand green in both the dragon and the landscaping is risky, but it worked out I think. The brown finishing touches are gorgeous :thumbup: 

This is a really fantastic dragon, beautiful job on the face especially but the whole shape is really good.  The base looks elegant too with the black!

Fantastic dragon! The head and wings are great, as is the body as a whole. My only critique would be those large ball joints for the front upper legs. They work well enough on the back legs, but not as well up front. 

Excellent brick-built Dragon!

This is a wonderful brick-built dragon.  It really makes me re-think my preference for molded dragons, it looks so natural.  Just a great looking dragon.  Nice concept and excellent execution.

Awesome job!

Great looking dragon. Reminds me of a few I've seen on Flickr lately.

Certainly a top notch dragon :thumbup: Great balance of color and its shape is quite convincing :wub: I also really like the various earth tones you used in the small landscape below it, and how you then put that on its own black base :classic:

I'm in love with that head! :wub: What's fascinating me most is the fact that the specialized nose element looks so good for a head as a whole, but only thanks to your efforts creating a custom jaw and the back of the head (great use of the horns!). As others have already said: beautiful colour scheme! Fantastic creation, man! :thumbup::thumbup:

On 6/28/2018 at 1:58 PM, de Gothia said:

Wow! Just wow! I have so much respect when it comes to builders that can with blocky lego elements create so organic and natural looking animals and dragons!

love this one! The colour scheme works great!!

Thanks, dG! It took me a while of tinkering and many failed attempts with other creatures to get to the point where I feel confident in my dragons. And I do say that in the plural, as I have four more completed and awaiting photography...

On 6/28/2018 at 10:47 PM, zoth33 said:

Awesome!!!  The color scheme is great, the sand green and brown work well together.  The mixel joints are great for this kind of stuff.  Really like the eyes too. 

Sand green is probably my favorite color to build in. 

On 6/29/2018 at 2:38 AM, Grover said:

Very nice!  I really like the lines and the attention to detail that you have with the joints on the legs, etc.  I think the rider is my favorite part.  The only part that does not have me totally convinced is the eyes.  They look good when you zoom in, but from a distance, they stick out to me.  I think this is an artifact of proportion, something that we are constrained with as builders and given Lego stud and piece size.  I think maybe I want the eye to be more sunken into a socket or something... I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have noticed this with a lot of official Lego builds before.  In any case, you have done an amazing job.  Great work!  I love seeing the brick built dragons.

The head is made largely of a single piece, the nose of the Ninjago Mech Dragon, so yes, they do stick out a bit more than I would ordinarily like. But I actually like the bug-eyed feel for Kijani, as it sets her apart from some of my others. But of course, LEGO does limit what you can do with its proportions. 

On 6/29/2018 at 4:08 PM, TitusV said:

Absolutely a stunning dragon, almost a pity it distracts from the great base :wink: 

I really like the colourscheme, using sand green in both the dragon and the landscaping is risky, but it worked out I think. The brown finishing touches are gorgeous :thumbup: 

Thanks, Titus! I agree, the base is really the highlight. 

On 7/2/2018 at 3:00 PM, Kai NRG said:

This is a really fantastic dragon, beautiful job on the face especially but the whole shape is really good.  The base looks elegant too with the black!

Thanks, Kai!

On 7/7/2018 at 11:48 PM, Rogue Angel said:

Fantastic dragon! The head and wings are great, as is the body as a whole. My only critique would be those large ball joints for the front upper legs. They work well enough on the back legs, but not as well up front. 

Excellent brick-built Dragon!

Thanks, RA! I agree about the ball joints, but I don't really have a better solution - the smaller mixel joints don't have enough friction to hold up well, and there are only a few colors of the larger ones, at least in my collection. If I had them in sand green, it would be great!

On 7/8/2018 at 4:39 AM, x105Black said:

This is a wonderful brick-built dragon.  It really makes me re-think my preference for molded dragons, it looks so natural.  Just a great looking dragon.  Nice concept and excellent execution.

Awesome job!

I used to be in your boat, loving the molded ones, but recently I have been on a bit of a dragon-building kick, and I think mine (and those of some other very talented builders out there) are better for the greater poseability and variation in styles. I am not a huge fan of Ninjago brick-built dragons, though, except as a source of parts!

On 7/8/2018 at 10:55 PM, mccoyed said:

Great looking dragon. Reminds me of a few I've seen on Flickr lately.

Thanks! Was one of them mine? I'd be curious to know of the others, as I love dragons. 

On 7/9/2018 at 8:09 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Certainly a top notch dragon :thumbup: Great balance of color and its shape is quite convincing :wub: I also really like the various earth tones you used in the small landscape below it, and how you then put that on its own black base :classic:

It's all about the presentation! Thanks, SK!

On 7/11/2018 at 2:22 PM, Exetrius said:

I'm in love with that head! :wub: What's fascinating me most is the fact that the specialized nose element looks so good for a head as a whole, but only thanks to your efforts creating a custom jaw and the back of the head (great use of the horns!). As others have already said: beautiful colour scheme! Fantastic creation, man! :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm convinced that every LEGO element has a use beyond the one originally intended for it, if placed in the right context. And I fell in love with the snout and just had to use it in my own dragon, just on a smaller scale. Thanks, Ex!

Edited by Henjin_Quilones