Sign in to follow this  
Fraunces

Fraunces Brothers Story Part 2: The Octopus

If you want to read the first part of my characters story, read the introduction post.

"Log of Captain Lothario Fraunces, 28th of June, 618

Me and my brothers Jacobo and Alfie spend some days together in the city of Breshaun.

Me and my brother Jacobo came to Breshaun on board of the Fluyt 'The Octopus'. Together with Alfie we enlisted again and had plans to reach the new world to the east, when some of the Octopus' crew members came to me.

2A. Request

Crew members: "Lothario, the captain died last night. He was ill since we left Holders Rock but he did not want to tell anyone. We need a new captain and we know your skills on the seas and don't trust the old quartermaster Cedric. He is egocentric and is very stubborn. Lead us in our mutiny!" 

And so we went to the ship. I challenged Cedric to a duel for the captaincy.

2B. Challenge

Our cutlasses almost broke with every strike. Cedric fought like a bull but his anger prohibited him to foresee my moves and I was on the winning hand, what I did not know was that Cedric companion was below deck, ready to fill me with lead through the hatch.

2C. Cheating below deck

The blast just missed my forehead and blew my hat away.

2D. Almost a headshot

The cheat came out of the hatch to finish the job, but he did not count on my brother Alfie.

2E. Snitch reveals himself

With one smooth move Alfie threw the cheat overboard: "Go irritate Neptune" - he said. How I already love this guy. The duel with Cedric however, continued.

2F. Overboard!

It was not long before I took the upper hand and with a few slashes and thrusts I had him on the ground.

2G. Winner of the duel

We put Cedric on a rowing boat back to Breshaun, The Octopus crew chose me as their new captain. We buried our old captain on an empty beach in LeBellan, said goodbye to the girls in the brothel, took in fresh supplies and headed to the new world. Jacobo (the new quartermaster) convinced the me and the crew to head to île D'Or, for glory, adventure and gold was lurking on that island. What more does one need to convince a bunch of Sea Rats? And so we went."

Fluyt 'Octopus'(2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you guys like my ship and the story. I checked the shipwright post for building tips and took my main motivation from the replica Dutch Fluyt 'de Batavia'. I will license her as a Class 5. My apologies for the bad photo-shopping, this is not my forte. The name derives from the bow spring:

Fluyt 'Octopus' (1)

C&C is welcome.

If you want to avoid the Photoshop issues, try using a backdrop. I usually use black felt because it gives a nice matt finish, but I know some other people use linen sheets or large sheets of paper.

@Ross Fisher Thanks for the tip. I use the backside of a big map of Europe as backdrop but due to shadows and light it never goes the way I want. I think I will just make a LEGO background or go to a beach to make some pictures next time. If anyone knows a good photoshop program to add water/sky backgrounds that would be a great help :sweet:

Great to see another vessel (I think there are 2 or 3 other vessels inspired by it around here already) inspired by the Batavia around here (I visited it last year with a couple of others from here)!

Looking good too, nice colour scheme, though it could be a little longer :wink: If you want help during WIP for your next vessel, feel free to join us in the Shipwrights Guild Hall

I like the story, and the ship. Nice photos too. My favourite one is the pic showing the guy shooting from the hatch.

@Legostone I tried to get the length as accurate as possible but I only had 3 mid-sections so my options were limited. Thanks for the compliment.

@Bodi thanks! I do my best

Great continuation of the story! The ship looks pretty good. Maybe on the short side, but I did see you say you only had 3 midsections, so for what you do have it looks fantastic!

@Fraunces Maybe you could consider to get rid of the upper part of the prefap bow and stern, and to shape the bow with hinge plates. A lower hull could make you ship appear longer.than she really is. 

2 hours ago, Bodi said:

@Fraunces Maybe you could consider to get rid of the upper part of the prefap bow and stern, and to shape the bow with hinge plates. A lower hull could make you ship appear longer.than she really is. 

Do you have an example maybe of what you mean with a bow/stern made with use of hinge plates?

1 hour ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Fine action, great shot with the hat in the air. 

Monkey noted :pir-grin:

You always need a monkey on your ship  :wink:

On 6/30/2018 at 1:00 AM, Fraunces said:

Do you have an example maybe of what you mean with a bow/stern made with use of hinge plates?

I was talking about building the bow only with the lower part of the prefab, like Imperial Shipyards did with his nextgen ships. Ofc you can also build your own hull, there are many examples in the Shipwright guild post.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:45 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Nice ship and story!

Thanks!

Today I took some more pictures, from the backside:

2H. Backside

The captains cabin

2J. Inside captainsshack

And the gun deck, opened cargo haul + the sleeping quarter.

2I. Inside

On 9/7/2018 at 9:19 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

So somehow I missed this ... I really like this ship ... And the story!

Thanks man