Hi everyone

I have recently added my first project to Lego Ideas.

I wondered can anyone offer me any advice on the best ways to promote my project? So far all I've done is created a topic about it on Eurobricks and shared some of the pictures in a few Flickr groups. Are there any other methods I could use to give my model some more exposure and gain more support? Are there any other Lego related sites that are good for showing MOC's or Lego Ideas projects? Also I don't use Facebook, Twitter or Instagram but do you think any of those would be worth a go?

This is the first time I've used Lego Ideas so I'm learning as I go along. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :classic:

Edited by Bricked1980

12 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Also I don't use Facebook, Twitter or Instagram but do you think any of those would be worth a go?

I think these are key. Social media promotion is critical.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I think these are key. Social media promotion is critical.

Good luck!

Thanks. I agree, think I'll have to look in to joining Instagram then. 

@Bricked1980, definitely post it on the Lego subreddit. Farly easily it can get 1000 views. There, the posts are tagged as "MOC", "SEC", "Lego Ideas"... I wouldn't tag it Lego Ideas. I would tag it MOC, they have more visibility. It's a bit weird, you can't tag it when posting. First off you need to be on Old Reddit, then select only MOCs, then over to the right post a new link. It's a bit complicated but easy enough. Plus, with the new Ideas frontpage, which I don't quite understand how it works, TBH, your awesome project is the third thing you see; in the past there was the "Trending this Week" tab which was very difficult to get into :grin:

8 hours ago, paupadros said:

@Bricked1980, definitely post it on the Lego subreddit. Farly easily it can get 1000 views. There, the posts are tagged as "MOC", "SEC", "Lego Ideas"... I wouldn't tag it Lego Ideas. I would tag it MOC, they have more visibility. It's a bit weird, you can't tag it when posting. First off you need to be on Old Reddit, then select only MOCs, then over to the right post a new link. It's a bit complicated but easy enough. Plus, with the new Ideas frontpage, which I don't quite understand how it works, TBH, your awesome project is the third thing you see; in the past there was the "Trending this Week" tab which was very difficult to get into :grin:

Thanks for the tip, i will have a look at using reddit.

I'd noticed I'm third on the list of the ideas homepage, although not really sure how this list is worked out.

Also if you sort the list in to projects that are trending, apparently mine is number 2. This might sound like a dumb question but what does that mean exactly and how is the trending list worked out? Does that mean my project is being shared and discussed on Facebook, Twitter etc?

34 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks for the tip, i will have a look at using reddit.

I'd noticed I'm third on the list of the ideas homepage, although not really sure how this list is worked out.

Also if you sort the list in to projects that are trending, apparently mine is number 2. This might sound like a dumb question but what does that mean exactly and how is the trending list worked out? Does that mean my project is being shared and discussed on Facebook, Twitter etc?

The "Top" ranking is very bizarrely put together. In the past, a project with 50 supporters after 5 days would get nothing, but now, it seems like they're really pushing projects like these forwards. The trending list used to be the one right below the Staff Picks (which I beleive are gone). That list is figured out by accumulating the amount of votes in the past week. That was a good way of having projects very visible for about a week before disappering. On day 1 of a project, you tend to get more votes, so when seven days later at the exact time you'd had your projec posted, all those votes that were older (exact to the minute) than a week, weren't accumulable for the Trending ranking. Imagine: You got 10 votes/hour on day one, unless you kept that same vote flow a week later, the little tag on top saying "x new supporters" would decrease and decrease. That's why it was a smart idea to promote your project very heavily entering the second week. Now with that very confusing welcome page and "Top" ranking... No clue how that's figured out.

Thanks for the advice @paupadros and for clarifying how the trending list is sorted.

5 hours ago, paupadros said:

The trending list used to be the one right below the Staff Picks (which I beleive are gone). 

You can still view trending items and staff picks but not directly from the homepage. Although staff picks are still there, I notice there haven't been any new ones since the site was overhauled, so I'm wondering if this is being phased out.

If so, it is a true shame. Staff Picks worked brilliantly for older projects to jump back at the popular list. I'm really curious how they're going to help older projects get to 10K. It'll be interesting to see in how much time a new project reaches 10K without popular there and the Top rank being based on newer projects. Before, when a project neared 10K, as everyone started voting it massively, it got to Popular and there it reached the goal farily easily. Now, even a project with 9990 supporters has zero visibility. I would change it back if I were them. They could have Staff Picks on top, the 12 Popular projects on a list how it used to be and the new Top rank below it in the same fashion.

10 hours ago, paupadros said:

If so, it is a true shame. Staff Picks worked brilliantly for older projects to jump back at the popular list.

Actually I was wrong. They are still doing staff picks. A new one was added on Friday. Without them being visible on the homepage though I doubt that being chosen as a staff pick will have anywhere near as much impact as it used to.

Just looked now and there are some easy to apply filters on the home page. You can sort by any number of criteria including staff picks, trending, etc. Its very easy to see what's new, what's old,  what's doing well, what isn't, etc. 

1 hour ago, sed6 said:

Just looked now and there are some easy to apply filters on the home page. You can sort by any number of criteria including staff picks, trending, etc. Its very easy to see what's new, what's old,  what's doing well, what isn't, etc. 

You're right. I think all the options are still there actually. When the site was first altered last week some of the options were gone but they have since been added back.

@paupadros I took your advice and have added my Traction Engine to reddit. Unfortunately my post was removed as my account was less than 24 hours old. :blush: Ah well, I'll try again tomorrow.

Edited by Bricked1980