Mr Hobbles

Name of the fictional Lego train company?

Hey,

Slightly random question, but does anyone know if the fictional Lego train/transport company has been given a name anywhere? We've seen the double arrow with circle logo used on trains and buses over the years, but does the organisation have a name? In my head it's something like "Lego City Transit Authority", or "Transport for Lego City", but would love to know if its been stated officially. :)

Cheers

We COULD have some fun with this topic...

My guess would be Goes Both Ways Transit.

The best place to start, in my opinion, would be the Emerald Night.  On it's tender it gives us the name of the LEGO railway that operates it -

LRTS

So now what does that stand for?  Obviously "L" is for LEGO. 

"R" maybe railway or railroad.  Maybe rail?

I'm guessing "S" is system.

"T" could be train, but that seems superfluous if "R" is railway, etc.

Maybe "LEGO Railway Transit System".

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

1 hour ago, Andy Glascott said:

But if it also appears on buses could it be Lego Regional Transit System?

But it is used worldwide, so "regional" does not really fit!

My guess is "Lego Railroad/Railways Transport System"

I know about various examples where (real) train companies also run busses and cargo trucks, so why not?

2 hours ago, SavaTheAggie said:

The best place to start, in my opinion, would be the Emerald Night.  On it's tender it gives us the name of the LEGO railway that operates it -

LRTS

Yes, but is the Emerald Night also branded with the circle and arrows? I do believe so. The EN kind of stands on it own IMO, so I don't think LRTS and the circle with arrows are from the same brand or product line, if you know what I mean.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:52 AM, sed6 said:

Yes, but is the Emerald Night also branded with the circle and arrows? I do believe so. The EN kind of stands on it own IMO, so I don't think LRTS and the circle with arrows are from the same brand or product line, if you know what I mean.

Yes it is the conductor has it on his jacket

Interesting. If we're assuming "LRTS" and the circle-and-arrows logo go together, there can't be any mention of railways in LRTS; that logo is used in other places, e.g. on buses (see 60154). Therefore, I reckon "LRTS" and circle-and-arrows are different companies; one old, one modern. Further to this, the EN was heavily based on Flying Scotsman; that loco originally bore "LNER" on the tender, for the 1923 London & North Eastern Railway. The company was merged into British Rail and then that was privatised into our current mess of operators, so the two fictional companies should be considered successors. I say we take "LRTS" to be the name of an older, steam-era rail company, and say one of their locos (the EN) has been preserved by the modern company for running special charter trains (@Roadmonkeytj explaining why the conductor is employed by the new company).

So, back to names. I have a hard time finding what "LRTS" would stand for from a British viewpoint; for a start, we've often had "railway" at the end, and not much else in the name besides operating region (LMS - London, Midland & Scottish Railway, GWR - Great Western Railway, SR - Southern Railway, etc.). However, I find the modern circle-and-arrows company easier; I tend to call them "LEGO Rail". As we had "British Rail", and still "Network Rail" own our track, it seems a natural name to me. Although, that does contradict my earlier point of the logo appearing on buses though, so I should probably switch to "LEGO Transport". All in all, I've clearly put too much thought into this...

Let's not forget the 12v trains that are marked with "DB" like set 7722. Though, I think I read somewhere that it stood for a German railway because that was a big market for Lego trains back in the 12v era.

3 hours ago, ALCO said:

Let's not forget the 12v trains that are marked with "DB" like set 7722. Though, I think I read somewhere that it stood for a German railway because that was a big market for Lego trains back in the 12v era.

The 12v sets had a complete set of stickers for most European railway companies so you could brand your train with which ever you wanted (though promo photos usually had the German DB set on because, as you say, they were the biggest market at the time). 

I always assumed that the circle with arrows was the organising company (like the roundel symbol Transport for London use across all modes of transport) and LRTS was the specific system (something like Lego Rail Transport Service) - but I like @Roadmonkeytjs better even though it contradicts what I’ve just said :)

I remember seeing a MOD of the Emerald Night that explained LRTS as the Lego Railway Transportation Society, and that it was a preservation group that had saved the steam engine from scrap.  As for the conductor, maybe the modern transit company requires one of their employees to be on board when the EN runs on their lines.

9 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

I remember seeing a MOD of the Emerald Night that explained LRTS as the Lego Railway Transportation Society, and that it was a preservation group that had saved the steam engine from scrap.  As for the conductor, maybe the modern transit company requires one of their employees to be on board when the EN runs on their lines.

That would have been me who said that.

9687804590_5793ec5e90_o.png%5C

It seemed like Lego Rail Transport Society was good idea way back in 2013 when I made the above picture, but I think nowadays I like Lego Regional Transport System better, as said by @Andy Glascott.

39985926035_2c5849b6ab_z.jpg

It makes more sense that way, with buses, trams, and trains being controlled by the same company... I even put it on my (custom) train station.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:38 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Lego Rail & Transit Systems 

Well, that sounds like a perfect fit. I like it :thumbup:

However, I was unable to find any ressources online that would affirm that naming. Did you come up with this on your own?

3 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Well, that sounds like a perfect fit. I like it :thumbup:

However, I was unable to find any ressources online that would affirm that naming. Did you come up with this on your own?

It's what I always assumed lol

Well, there are so many acronyms we use everyday that most of us don't now what it stands for, that we just could leave it at LRTS.

Or making something up like: Lovely Relaxed Train Spotting :laugh:

I know this topic is at least 5 years old, but allow me to give an idea.

Lego City Metropolitan Transit Authority (or MTA Lego City for short)

I actually got the idea for names based off of actual transit systems in America. There is MTA Maryland, MTA New York, MTA Los Angelas, you name it. I figured I'd take that idea and include it in the Lego universe as well. Though I will be honest and say that its not likely to stick due to MTA being an American thing and Lego being a European company.