Sign in to follow this  
LegoDW

Police Mobile Command sets, been a few released over the years. Which was the best?

So sure I am not alone with having an issue like this.  I purchased a used Lego set the other day.  Thought it was the command center set 7743 (the one with the police security gate with the smaller truck and trailer).  When I got home and checked it out, it was actually 7288 (larger truck with a cell in the trailer). I purchased several other sets too from a garage sale and had the kids with me so bit distracted when set was purchased.

Anyways, after I realized my mistake, I was trying to figure out if I lost or was ahead on this purchase.  IMO and just comparing 7288 vs pictures of 7743, think the kids will like playing with the 7288 better.  Not that I am going to try to return 7288 or have plans on getting 7743 (one police command center is plenty for our household), just curious what other AFOL though comparing  these two similar sets.  Yes I know I need to pay more attention during purchases, but the kids get excited, I get distracted by some space themed sets and well...…...you know you come home with a few "surprise" sets.

It is interesting the current command center set, 60139 appears to favor 7288 in size more then 7743.  

Edited by LegoDW

i i think the 7743 looks better and more interesting.

But....

6348 for the win!

latest?cb=20090913145044

I don't feel so bad now, looks like TLG has made several versions of this set over the years.  Looks like we have a which is your favorite thing going on, great.  Which is yours? I think 7288 gets my vote (bit bias as own this one).

6348: Surveillance Squad

6348-1.jpg

Edited by LegoDW

Have a little time, looking into this further.  Thought others might find this interesting too.

6348: Surveillance Squad , 1994 $33 US, 331 pieces, $.105 per brick

7034: Surveillance Truck , 2003,   $30,   261, .11.5  per brick, 

Thoughts, 9 years since last set.  Smaller piece count, but looks like larger set.  Price per piece looks correct for almost a decade later.

7743: Police Command Centre  2008, $45, 534 pieces, $.086 per brick, 

Thoughts, 5 years since last set.  Bigger piece count, get a building also.  Price per piece looks great.  Looks like this was a really good value for the price.

7288: Mobile Police Unit 2011, $45,404 pieces, $.11 per brick

Thoughts, 4 years since last set. Smaller piece count.  Large increase in price per brick.  While truck/trailer are larger in this set, not as good of value as 7743.  Do get more area inside trailer to play with so more play value. More in line with pricing from 7034.

60044: Mobile Police Unit 2014, $45, 37 5, $.12 per brick

Thoughts, 3 years since last set.  Very closer to 7288 in design.  Increase in price per brick.  Really missing pricing from 7743.

60139: Mobile Command Center ,2017, $50, 374  pieces, $.134 per brick

Thoughts, 3 years since last set.  Very close to 60044 in design.  Pretty big jump in price per piece.  22% increase in price per brick compared to 7288, 6 years ago (22/6=3.6% increase per year).  Not a horrible price increase but wish was a little less.

Results were very interesting. Was not aware set 7743 was such a value when it came out.  Wonder what was going on with TLG in 2008 that they discounted this set so greatly compared to today. Would appreciate other thoughts on the above and correct anything I got wrong ( all details were from Brickset).

Doesn't look like this topic is getting much traction. PM me if you would like to discuss in any greater detail.  Interesting to see what has been going on with TLG the past years as I have only been back into the hobby 18 months.

I have the latest two - well to be more precise : 60044 and 60139 and what I can tell you of them is: the new one looks like a "cheep" version of the previous one. 

That is my opinion- I can see the cost reduction in many places - the best one is the lack of 4x2 white plate on the top of the trailer - come one, a single plate would change the final price so much? Another thing that I dislike in the 60139 is the lack of the trailer support once you disengage it from the truck... In the truck you can also spot a cost cutting - as in the interior the designer has put the "steering wheel" in the middle ... no space for a coffee cup... :( - the 60044 has it planned in a better way. This set is not so good also in my opinion - as the door of the main command center are designed in a way that if you open/close them more then 4 times in row they will end up in your hands :) The system that 60139 trailer has is much better.

When in comes to playability in overall - the 60139 wins - due to

1. motocicle 

2. quad that Thief Girl is using to help-out escape 

In the end, I like both of them :) 

Edited by AOW