cubo

Minifig-scaled remote controlled truck

Hi,

I would like to share my minifig-scaled remote controlled truck. It's completely made of LEGO parts and features not only driving and steering, but also working head- and rearlights (trailer only). The driving motor is a PF medium one, located at the back of the trailer but actually powering one of the truck's rear wheels. The other wheel can rotate free, therefore creating a "differential gear" effect, allowing very narrow turn circles. Steering is done by 9V micro motor, sitting at the back of the driver.

Battery box and PF receiver are placed in the trailer.

26726830863_60671bb67c.jpg

26726828653_8f0dd6d82b.jpg

There is also a short video of it "in action" on my flickr page.

best regards,

cubo

Yes, sure:

27008360224_4e722c017b_z.jpg

26726133424_4a188b0759_c.jpg

More pictures can be found on my flickr-page, just use the links in my original post.

best regards,

cubo

Love this!!!

clever construction

Great Great Work!!!

thanks for sharing!

Greetings!

this is great!

i thought the steering would be done by turning the trailer. but you made the wheels steer. that is impressive

This is a great model

You did not only build a remote controlled truck, but it also looks fantastic. From a technical point of view, my favourite part is that your truck can handle sharp turns. Can it also handle the original road plates?

Well, it is possible to drive it on the original road plates, but it is very tricky. The steering is - as you can probably imagine - not very precise...

It works better with the smaller truck, which I actually built in the first place:

27058067470_4aba237481_z.jpg

It took me a while to get it working, especially the "differential gear" effect. First I tried with a divided axis, but it is not possible to make a sturdy and still rotatable connection half-stud wide... so the rear wheel were always bending, and the traction was very poor.

However, I wanted to drive it on LEGO street plates, so I had to find a solution :wink:

More pictures and a short video of this little truck can also be found on flickr.

best regards,

cubo

This is so cool. I will have to make an 8 wide version for my Speed Champions street. I am going to have to pinch the micro motors out of my motorized wind turbines. Would love more photos of the steering gearing setup. :)

/\ me too /\ I would like to see how the power is transferred from the trailer to drive wheel as well, I thoroughly enjoy these smaller RC trucks and this one looks like one I would enjoy building. Good job. 

Well, I used for the steering 2 x Technic Gear 12 Tooth Bevel

6589.png

and an old Technic Gear 14 Tooth Bevel in between

4143.png

This picture from the small truck should make the principle clear:

27333010615_76a05ce8b8_z.jpg

The power transmission form the trailer to the drive wheel is made through the axis which is connecting the trailer and the truck: the 2x6 technic plate with the tan 12 tooth gear beneath it is actually part of the truck; the Technic Gear 20 Tooth Bevel with pinhole above it is just for "show" (it simulates the turntable/coupling between truck and trailer):

27584996306_86df646e54_c.jpg

Best regards,

cubo

Great super simple solution, seems to work well. Thanks for the pictures. I am always interested how others achieve working steering on such a small scale. I try to make small steering but by the time I finish it ends up to wide or not working properly. 

You've done very well cramming those excellent, realistic functions into a small but beautiful looking model. Brilliant work, you make it look so easy.

Edited by ColletArrow
Sorry, I didn't realise this was a month old. It's still good!

Thanks! I'm planning something like a "trilogy" in 6-wide -  the last one is not a truck, but almost as big as one...

This time I have to incorporate 2 IR-receivers, but it will take some additional time to finish (mechanisms are already working, but the exterior works are still missing).

This is really amazing work, I'm impressed how you manage to squeeze the motor and bits into it all, awesome!

Hi, I'm thinking of building a truck like this, is the 'driving motor' in the trailer vertical? Or do you have it sitting horizontal? Any interior photos of the drive motor set-up?

Any help appreciated, thanks

On 6/27/2018 at 9:52 PM, cubo said:

26726133424_4a188b0759_c.jpg

cubo, can you tell me what the element is that supports the 'drive line' w/gold rings on each side? Thanks (trying to understand all the parts used) and the third gold ring, just used as a spacer?

cubo I figured out that part I was referring too is a #87082 w/gold rings on the pins, resulting in a half pin on either side for support into the truck frame? (which I noticed are assembled into a 'half' lift arm) A mix of Technic and Model Team construction, good job!

Can you tell I want to build this.......also a lot of 'snot building' going on in the Driver/Cab part of the truck?

Edited by ritztoys
new info

Ritztoys,

The driving motor in the trailer is installed horizontal, just above the trailer wheels. You can spot the PF medium motor in this picture (at the right side of the opening):

26726133894_345b0ca57c_c.jpg

And there is some "snotting" in the Driver Cab - the cab in general is quite fragile as there are a lot of "1-stud-connections" (and not all of them are fully attached, e.g. the green 2x2 tile at the front).

Thank-you cubo for your answer. I could use a delivery truck just like this in my display "Palm city". I'm working on it!

Cubo, your creation inspired me. So I challenged myself to make a Semi like yours.......

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by ritztoys
removed "spoiler image"

Hey, your design is so awesome. It looks simple (complicated inside though) but so effective and realistic! Really well done!

I wish you could add some prints on trailer, maybe brickbuilt print of any famous brand - would looks cool! :)