Anonknee Muss

DC Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

17 minutes ago, Gomek said:

You're saying the D2C sets aren't valuable on their own.. literally that's what you're saying.

What are you talking about? When you subtract the perceived value of the minifigures from D2C sets you still have sets that are $200 or even much higher. How is that not valuable on its own? But minifigures give the set more shelf appeal in the store and have almost certainly swayed buyers who might otherwise have left it on the shelf or not spared it more than a glance in the first place. It doesn’t take any focus group research to know that exclusive characters are a big draw when selling something, but I’m sure Lego’s done the research anyway. In the end, just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean other people don’t enjoy it and attach value to it. 

39 minutes ago, Gomek said:

You're saying the D2C sets aren't valuable on their own.. literally that's what you're saying.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth, that's not at all what I said. Is it really that difficult to read a sentence properly? Let's try the kiddie explanation then shall we? 

Now let's look at what I said:

''Releasing the figures from a D2C set in a small 20$ set greatly reduces the value of the D2C sets. And to some people who are hesitant on wether or not to buy a D2C the figures are what makes or breaks it.''

We can split this sentence into 2 points:

- Removing the figures from a D2C reduces the value of the set 

- The minifigure selection can make or break a set for some people which is why figures in D2C's are necessary

What's so hard to understand here? Removing figures from a D2C set decreases both it's rrp and it's value (why do you think sets without figures are almost always cheapier than sets with figures?), and if you buy a D2C at release and sell it immediately after taking out the figures the value goes down. That does not mean the set is worthless without their figures.

If you still don't understand it I'm giving up

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Let's try the kiddie explanation then shall we?  

First off.. this is super rude.

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Now let's look at what I said:

''Releasing the figures from a D2C set in a small 20$ set greatly reduces the value of the D2C sets. And to some people who are hesitant on wether or not to buy a D2C the figures are what makes or breaks it.''

Yes, it seems the issue is in what "greatly reduces the value of the D2C sets" means. If you take a $200 set and break it into a $180 set and a $20 set, going from $200 to $180 is not greatly reduced. It's reduced appropriately to the value of the figures that have been separated into a separate product. 

Everything you said seems to imply that you think a UCS model without any add-ons might not be a viable product on it's own. That value on it's own has been "greatly reduced". If that is not what you are trying to say, then yes, I got it wrong.

BTW, I never said this doesn't happen.

2 hours ago, Gomek said:

First off.. this is super rude.

Yes, it seems the issue is in what "greatly reduces the value of the D2C sets" means. If you take a $200 set and break it into a $180 set and a $20 set, going from $200 to $180 is not greatly reduced. It's reduced appropriately to the value of the figures that have been separated into a separate product. 

Mathematically you’re correct. However, in the customer’s perception they are very much less likely to buy the set because of a lack of figures. Meaning Lego will sell a lot less D2Cs. They only get a year shelf life (DC D2Cs in particular) as it is.

I'm with @Guyon2002 on this one. The only reason I have bought some $200+ sets is because of the minifigures that came with the set. I wouldn't by any Batmobile set if it didn't have some sort of exclusive minifigure with it, but I am considering the D2C releasing next month. I have only ever bought HP sets at greatly discounted prices and then sold the minifigs so in order to reduce the set to a price I'd be willing to pay for it - I got the Great Hall set for 160NZ$ (20%), and then sold the minifigs for 100NZD.60 Bucks is all that I thought the set was worth, but I bought two hall of armour sets specifically because I wanted multiple copies of the minifigs and paid full price. Exclusive DC/Marvel minifigs will always get my attention, especially if they are awesome in the order of the new Keaton Batman - that for me is a must-have.

5 hours ago, ApocSlay said:

I'm with @Guyon2002 on this one. The only reason I have bought some $200+ sets is because of the minifigures that came with the set. I wouldn't by any Batmobile set if it didn't have some sort of exclusive minifigure with it, but I am considering the D2C releasing next month. I have only ever bought HP sets at greatly discounted prices and then sold the minifigs so in order to reduce the set to a price I'd be willing to pay for it - I got the Great Hall set for 160NZ$ (20%), and then sold the minifigs for 100NZD.60 Bucks is all that I thought the set was worth, but I bought two hall of armour sets specifically because I wanted multiple copies of the minifigs and paid full price. Exclusive DC/Marvel minifigs will always get my attention, especially if they are awesome in the order of the new Keaton Batman - that for me is a must-have.

This might be the first D2C I get because I love the look of the model. However I would be very disappointed if it didn’t contain any minifigures.

Exclusive minifigures in D2C sets is a practice that I hope LEGO doesn’t stop. Not everything is available to everyone and if I’m paying $200+ for a LEGO set I want it to have some collectibility beyond just the model. Of course large Creator Expert models don’t need or contain figures, but buying a 1989 Batmobile and not having the associated figures from the movie included would be really lame. I’ve never bought a D2C just for the figures but they’ve definitely made me want those sets more. I really don’t see the issue with it because if you want the figures badly enough you can buy them online. Yes, they’re expensive, but it all depends on what you want and if you think it’s worth the price. Expecting every minifigure to be equally available to everyone is not a reasonable expectation, and exclusive figures in D2Cs isn’t very different from including exclusive figures in the most expensive sets of a given wave (for example, Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren being exclusive to his shuttle and Lando being exclusive to the Falcon in the new Star Wars wave). 

12 hours ago, J4ck said:

Mathematically you’re correct. However, in the customer’s perception they are very much less likely to buy the set because of a lack of figures. Meaning Lego will sell a lot less D2Cs. They only get a year shelf life (DC D2Cs in particular) as it is.

Most D2C sets have a shelf life of 2 years or longer. The only DC D2C I’ve seen with a shorter shelf life was the Tumbler, which was a little over a year. 

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

12 hours ago, J4ck said:

I’m not disputing this.

Still, I think it’s a little, let’s say, ‘unflattering’ that a great deal of a USC sets value would be in minifigure add-ons. (whether that’s true or not).   

Take the Voltron set. I still think they should make the minifigures. But I would never say that set needs figures to make up a good deal of its value. I don’t think that would be a complimentary thing to say.

2 hours ago, Gomek said:

I don’t think that would be a complimentary thing to say.

The truth is often offensive to people. That doesn't negate its truth. I would not have bought the D2C Tumbler without the exclusive Joker and I would not buy this Batmobile if the special molded Keaton Batsuit was not included. I really like minifig scale builds and minifigures so large scale vehicles are mostly a pass for me. The only large scale set I have bought that doesn't include any minifigures was the creator Ford Mustang because that car is awesome.

2 hours ago, Gomek said:

I’m not disputing this.

Still, I think it’s a little, let’s say, ‘unflattering’ that a great deal of a USC sets value would be in minifigure add-ons. (whether that’s true or not).   

Take the Voltron set. I still think they should make the minifigures. But I would never say that set needs figures to make up a good deal of its value. I don’t think that would be a complimentary thing to say.

It’s not uncomplimentary to say, either. Minifigures are included because the designers know they’re valuable to a lot of people. Exclusive products, no matter what they are, are always valued more. Removing exclusive and desirable figures from D2C sets drops their value, but it doesn’t make the actual set any worse. It’s not unflattering to point out a truth the designers are well aware of. I’m fairly sure that the inclusion of exclusive minifigures has never stopped someone from buying a D2C set, but their inclusion has certainly made people buy them. The actual product is of course valuable on its own, but that doesn’t stop the exclusive figures from also being valuable and dropping the overall product’s value when removed. 

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

1 hour ago, scottypavarotti said:

Rad! Looking forward to that. Also, can’t for a review of the Batmobile, although I think it’s pretty much already on my purchase list...

Only around another three weeks before official pictures and reviews (probably)! 

5 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

The truth is often offensive to people. That doesn't negate its truth. I would not have bought the D2C Tumbler without the exclusive Joker and I would not buy this Batmobile if the special molded Keaton Batsuit was not included. I really like minifig scale builds and minifigures so large scale vehicles are mostly a pass for me. The only large scale set I have bought that doesn't include any minifigures was the creator Ford Mustang because that car is awesome.

I'm just going to bricklink the Keaton cowl/cape and put it on a regular Lego batman movie figure

cant be bothered to hunt down the set and then build it

6 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

The truth is often offensive to people.

Lol. It sure is.

6 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

I would not have bought the D2C Tumbler without the exclusive Joker and I would not buy this Batmobile if the special molded Keaton Batsuit was not included. I really like minifig scale builds and minifigures so large scale vehicles are mostly a pass for me. The only large scale set I have bought that doesn't include any minifigures was the creator Ford Mustang because that car is awesome.

I believe that. I buy a lot of sets just for the figures. Particularly superhero sets where about 75 percent of them I feel like are junky builds. But then again, I understand for $30 or whatever it might be hard to design something that satisfies both advanced builders and those looking for play opportunities. (I think those things become more mutually exclusive the lower the price point)

I guess my question for you is, are you glad they were bundled and you bought the tumbler or would you rather have just gotten the figures in a small set? (Not taking into consideration Lego's objectives)

On 10/25/2019 at 2:47 PM, Hulk_Smash said:
On 10/25/2019 at 2:42 PM, Lego-Freak said:

Excellent looking set I have to say :thumbup: Can anyone identify the pieces used for the windshields?

They look like the pieces hat were used in the Dimensions main base, the ones that went around the hole

No way, this windshield piece you mean? To me, it looks like a much, much larger part, an all-new one if you ask me... :oh: ...I'll be reserving my final judgement on the build when the official images are released, but I really do like what I'm seeing so far... :excited:

43 minutes ago, J4ck said:

There’s no way he got them from a legitimate source this time!

He didn't. He's linked to the reseller website he used on instagram. They're charging double for people who are too impatient to wait 2 months. 

I'm shocked Lego hasn't tried to force them to stop selling yet. 

Edit: looks like it's a webstore that links to their BrickLink store, so there isn't much Lego would be able to do about it. 

Edited by nikhkin

10 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

He didn't. He's linked to the reseller website he used on instagram. They're charging double for people who are too impatient to wait 2 months. 

I'm shocked Lego hasn't tried to force them to stop selling yet. 

Edit: looks like it's a webstore that links to their BrickLink store, so there isn't much Lego would be able to do about it. 

To me this is as much about the buying/selling things illegally as it is unfair to the other reviewers who either buy the product legitimately or are lucky enough to get it as a gift from the company. This way smacks of “look at me!” and little else.

1 minute ago, RedHoodPug said:

To me this is as much about the buying/selling things illegally as it is unfair to the other reviewers who either buy the product legitimately or are lucky enough to get it as a gift from the company. This way smacks of “look at me!” and little else.

Absolutely. Tbh I can see his YouTube channel being taken down. The Brick Show and Jangbricks both had legal threats due to posting leaked images and early reviews, respectively.

Posting a review of items stolen from a factory from a licensed theme is definitely going to upset the lawyers. Plus, assuming his channel is monetised, he is profiting from the theft. 

26 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

Absolutely. Tbh I can see his YouTube channel being taken down. The Brick Show and Jangbricks both had legal threats due to posting leaked images and early reviews, respectively.

Posting a review of items stolen from a factory from a licensed theme is definitely going to upset the lawyers. Plus, assuming his channel is monetised, he is profiting from the theft. 

I completely agree with everything. However, from what I’ve heard Jangbricks got the sets legitimately. M&R has also done what BFAB has done bought the apocalysburg set from illegitimate source and no legal action. Blind eye turning is unacceptable.

10 hours ago, Gomek said:

I guess my question for you is, are you glad they were bundled and you bought the tumbler or would you rather have just gotten the figures in a small set? (Not taking into consideration Lego's objectives)

I do like the Tumbler and I am glad I own it. Of course I would have taken the figures separately in a smaller set but then I would not have bought the Tumbler. It is such a neat display piece that I must say I am glad they were bundled together

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

I completely agree with everything. However, from what I’ve heard Jangbricks got the sets legitimately. M&R has also done what BFAB has done bought the apocalysburg set from illegitimate source and no legal action. Blind eye turning is unacceptable.

Yup, Jang always gets his stuff legitimately. One of the things I love most about his channel (besides his voice, opinions and thoughts). I wont be saying anything about M&R though as that would most likely start a discussion that shouldn't be in this thread :wink:

16 hours ago, Gomek said:

Lol. It sure is.

I believe that. I buy a lot of sets just for the figures. Particularly superhero sets where about 75 percent of them I feel like are junky builds. But then again, I understand for $30 or whatever it might be hard to design something that satisfies both advanced builders and those looking for play opportunities. (I think those things become more mutually exclusive the lower the price point)

100% agreed

7 hours ago, J4ck said:

That is very hypocritical of M&R, because I remember he made a very smug video when The Brick Show got their channel suspended for supposedly putting leaked pictures in their channel. Purchasing stolen sets is unquestionably worse.