Anonknee Muss

DC Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

10 hours ago, thebrickobserver said:

I would assume that there would be a series 2 as every other CMF series has had one - Disney, Simpsons, Harry Potter, Lego Batman, Lego Movie...

Every other series except for Unikitty and The Lego Ninjago Movie, which I guess is the black sheep of the Lego movies at this point.

Edited by MisterBatfleck

13 hours ago, thebrickobserver said:

I would assume that there would be a series 2 as every other CMF series has had one - Disney, Simpsons, Harry Potter, Lego Batman, Lego Movie...

TLM2 CMF was based on the second movie, I wouldn't call that a series 2

On 10/12/2019 at 3:54 PM, RadioYeh said:

I suppose you're right. The only reservation I have about that though, is that DC already has over a decade of figures taken from the comics, something that Marvel doesn't have. So it is a good opportunity for some non-MCU figures, but for DC it will probably be just some more Batman vs Joker or Superman vs Lex Luthor figures that we have gotten a dozen times.

Yes, I'm not sure anyone at Lego is aware that the characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe are actually based on comics. Likewise, I'm trying to forget there have been attempts at a DC Cinematic Universe.

50 minutes ago, Gomek said:

Yes, I'm not sure anyone at Lego is aware that the characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe are actually based on comics. Likewise, I'm trying to forget there have been attempts at a DC Cinematic Universe.

It doesn’t work like that. Lego Shop tells the designers how many sets and much they will sell for each wave and they have to design around that. Marvel releases 3 movies a year so there’s no room left for comic sets. Except next year the first comes out May whereas the past few years it’s been February/March.

59 minutes ago, Gomek said:

I‘m not sure what you‘re getting at here since TLG have released quite a few comic-based sets before. In fact, most of the upcoming sets we‘ve been discussing for ages now are not based on the MCU :wacko: 

Of course the MCU sets outweigh the comic-based stuff by a large margin in terms of the overall amount of sets, but are you really surprised? Most (casual) fans of the films don‘t give a M€g@blöck about the comics (I don’t either but I like the sets at least) and it‘s not hard to see why. You have the biggest film franchise ever on the one hand and a dwindling, dying, newcomer-alienating comic industry on the other. Which would you base your toys on? :tongue:

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Of course the MCU sets outweigh the comic-based stuff by a large margin in terms of the overall amount of sets, but are you really surprised? Most (casual) fans of the films don‘t give a M€g@blöck about the comics (I don’t either but I like the sets at least) and it‘s not hard to see why. You have the biggest film franchise ever on the one hand and a dwindling, dying, newcomer-alienating comic industry on the other. Which would you base your toys on? :tongue:

Totally agree, I'm a big fan of the marvel movies but I really don't like the comics. I found it hard to get into and find a good starting point without having to read years of issues just to understand certain characters/plotpoints. DC's comics were much easier to get into than Marvel imo, which is also why I prefer DC comic sets over movie sets (ignoring the fact most DC movies are pretty damn bad and the good ones are too mature or violent to get any sets)

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

TLM2 CMF was based on the second movie, I wouldn't call that a series 2

Yeah but regardless, it's still a 2nd set. And besides given the number of DC characters out there, this set deserves a series two imo.

14 minutes ago, thebrickobserver said:

Yeah but regardless, it's still a 2nd set. And besides given the number of DC characters out there, this set deserves a series two imo.

Almost all licensed CMF's deserve more series. But in the end it all depends on how well it sells

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Totally agree, I'm a big fan of the marvel movies but I really don't like the comics. I found it hard to get into and find a good starting point without having to read years of issues just to understand certain characters/plotpoints. DC's comics were much easier to get into than Marvel imo, which is also why I prefer DC comic sets over movie sets (ignoring the fact most DC movies are pretty damn bad and the good ones are too mature or violent to get any sets)

I absolutely 100% agree with everything you've said here.

6 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

This is subjective, everyone have their own tastes. I myself rank mcu at the bottom of my pull list. my preference DC Comics>Marvel Comics>DCTV>DCEU>MCU. 

3 hours ago, thebrickobserver said:

This is subjective, everyone have their own tastes. I myself rank mcu at the bottom of my pull list. my preference DC Comics>Marvel Comics>DCTV>DCEU>MCU. 

Guyon2002 never implied anything to the contrary?

9 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Totally agree, I'm a big fan of the marvel movies but I really don't like the comics. I found it hard to get into and find a good starting point without having to read years of issues just to understand certain characters/plotpoints. DC's comics were much easier to get into than Marvel imo, which is also why I prefer DC comic sets over movie sets

Edited by Agent Kallus

12 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Almost all licensed CMF's deserve more series. But in the end it all depends on how well it sells

True, though I am stoked that DC figures are happening. In a way, they're like the continuation of the cool villains and heroes we got in TLBM

5 hours ago, FastFlash said:

True, though I am stoked that DC figures are happening. In a way, they're like the continuation of the cool villains and heroes we got in TLBM

And minus the worst things we got in the TLBM CMF's (the many variants of Batman)

Would be nice if the last 4 figs were Zatanaa, Big Barda, Power Girl and Vixen. If this was a series of 20/22 then I'd also love Metallo, Rebirth Green Arrow, Black Adam, Bizarro, Mercy Graves and Atom.

9 minutes ago, PremierComix said:

Would be nice if the last 4 figs were Zatanaa, Big Barda, Power Girl and Vixen.

Awesome choices! I NEED a Zatanna minifigure!

1 hour ago, PremierComix said:

Would be nice if the last 4 figs were Zatanaa, Big Barda, Power Girl and Vixen. If this was a series of 20/22 then I'd also love Metallo, Rebirth Green Arrow, Black Adam, Bizarro, Mercy Graves and Atom.

It's 16 figures, we've known that for quite a while now

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's 16 figures, we've known that for quite a while now

I think they know that, they're just saying that if it were a 20/22 minifig series then those are the other characters they'd include.

As many people have pointed out, Lego really should be doing a Saturn Girl to complete the Legion of Superheroes set, and this is the perfect avenue to do so.

Also would agree that while I like the concept of the golden age Wonder Woman figure, the Mini-mouse dress doesn't work.

2/4 you already know. Superman - to finish the Trinity and Flash - to finish the Seven.

I'm confirming this for you guys because for the last few pages it's been wishlisting. Which I don't think is the place for (I could be wrong).  

I guarantee the final two are villains since there's only two and I'm sure we'll all know who soon :) 

2 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

I guarantee the final two are villains since there's only two and I'm sure we'll all know who soon :) 

It‘s not hard to guess who these two most likely are... and that‘s terrible. :head_back:

I’m a huge DC fan, but I have mixed feelings on some of the aspects of this series.

The major con is the U.S. price increase. I do think that will have a huge affect on the sales of this series. Think about this, the Harry Potter graveyard duel comes with 4 figures for $20 and a substantial build. I know those figures aren’t as detailed as these ones, but they’re still of a pretty high quality in my opinion. I can see parents refusing to buy minifigures as a result of this price hike and more casual AFOLs too.  I hope LEGO doesn’t blame DC for the series doing poorly and blames the price increase, as we need at least one sequel series!

The first appearance of the trinity seemed like the obvious route to go for me, as you could have them all match. I was hoping they’d come with 2x2 tiles with prints of the first issue, but obviously that isn’t happening, which seems like a missed opportunity.

• I much prefer Batman’s cowl here, then it looked in LB3. His face is a little similar to the ones that can be found in sets, which seems like a missed opportunity. I guess he was serious in his first appearance, but an unique alternative expression would’ve been cool. I like his torso and I don’t mind the printed belt. The legs are fantastic and if your a DC fan, it’s worth picking him up for those alone. 
  • Wonder Woman looks perfect, except for the hair! For a $5 CMF they should really be making her look more deluxe. I guess it’s neat her tiara is yellow instead of gold, as the only other figure to do that was the DCGirls Wonder Woman and her hairpiece was slightly different. If I’m nitpicking Diana’s face could’ve been more unique, as it seems to be just a modern update of her 2012 face. The face does look really good though! I love her torso, the use of that skirt and her legs! Her bracelets are a lovely touch and I’m planning on getting at least one spare of her for those arms alone. :wub:

I have mixed feelings about including the rest of the seven. On the one hand it makes sense, they are some of DC’s more popular characters. Aquaman obviously had a very successful movie, Cyborg has been a staple in many children’s households for years thanks to Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go, The Flash has his CW show and they couldn’t make 6/7 and not include Green Lantern. On the other hand, they do feel like they’re taking up space. If casual fans wanted a Cyborg or Aquaman, they’ve both appeared in sets under $20. I think the Trinity could’ve sold this series by themselves if they had some strong back up, which I’ll explain later. 

• The 90’s Aquaman has always been a favorite to some DC fans and LEGO made a perfect interpretation of that costume. The hook hand is a lovely touch, I’d assume they’d just give a gold minifigure one! I agree with others the reuse of the face and hair is annoying. I think a more serious expression and an annoyed face would’ve worked better with this rendition of the character. I think they could’ve redone his hair in “Cool Yellow” as it would’ve been different and make him stand out more against other Aquaman variants. I also think a new hairpiece would’ve increased AFOL appeal.  
  • Cyborg looks perfect for what he’s representing. The purple chain is a lovely touch. This variant looks fairly similar to his Super Friends appearance, which seemed to be a deliberate choice. I do think him and Aquaman are wasted slots though, another JL and TT member filling their slot would’ve made sense to me due to the limited number of 16. Giving us fourth and fifth versions for these characters over new ones just seems like a shame. Or at least ones that haven’t appeared in sets for a  while.
  • Simon Baz’ green lantern looks phenomenal! Print wise, we couldn’t really have asked for more. My only gripe with his printing is his face could’ve been smiling, just so it would’ve fit with the other lanterns, but I guess this is more in character. I don’t think the figure will appeal much to kids or casual fans though. The mask looks more like a wrestling mask than a superhero one. I think if he had accessories with a broad appeal it would’ve made him more desirable to that demographic. A funny looking transparent green construct, Bd’g or even Dex Starr (if they wanted to include a villain versus hero scenario in the series) seem like better choices then the Lantern. I do think the Lantern is nice, but again it has really limited appeal. Splitting him and Jessica (who had a really limited release) up, seems really weird too. I love the ring though and it’s a shame that won’t appear in more sets.

We’ve got another four heroes on top of the seven. These are all new characters thankfully.

• Bumblebee! :laugh: This is a really nice surprise. Turns out she was a main character in Teen Titans Go over the summer so some kids might know her better now. I guess she was in DC Girls too so maybe this might be a favorite amongst kids. I love her new hairpiece and I expect it to come in dark brown whenever they make Liz from LEGO Friends in a set. I love her dual expressions, they’re really fun! I think her torso and wings look better in LEGO form then they did in the comics! :P That yellow lightning is a lovely touch too, that I’ve been wanting for a while. Once again some nitpicks. XP I would’ve liked her torso to be ‘Cool Yellow’ rather than the normal yellow, just so it could stand out more. She could’ve done something with the legs too, I know it wouldn’t have been comics accurate, but I’m sure most LEGO fans have spare black legs. I would’ve suggested black and yellow dual moulded legs, as City fans would’ve loved that. 
  • After waiting since 2008’s LB for a Huntress I think this is kind of disappointing. A new mould would’ve been preferable considering it’s a CMF, at this rate she could’ve appeared in a set with no arm printing and limited leg printing. I don’t think the figure looks bad though, it certainly looks deluxe from the neck down. Kids who aren’t allowed sneak into BoP should at least enjoy her crossbow, as that doesn’t appear in two many sets these days and looks cool.
  • Mister Mircale is perfect! I wouldn’t have done anything different! I love his smug grin. :3
  • Stargirl looks incredible. Her braces face is all I wanted! :grin_wub: Her torso and legs are perfect too! Her hairpiece is a real disappointment though. If they had to use that piece a recolour in tan or yellow would’ve been nice and made her look more unique, but that’s the only problem with the figure. I’m once again worried about mass appeal. I guess the glitter in the staff is a nice touch and she does look like a gender bent Captain America to casual fans. 

Lastly we have three villains to round things off...for now. 

• I love Parscilla’s Cheetah! She couldn’t have looked better! I think her being in a fun animal costume will appeal to non fans, especially with the great printing all around! The money bag is a lovely touch too! 
  • Sinestro is the worst choice of the series in my eyes. Could we really have not gotten any other Lantern villain? He seems like such a wasted slot. Nevertheless, the figure does look fantastic for what he is. I have to wonder was he, Cheetah and Cyborg included for us all to complete our Super Friends roster?! The only heroes we’re missing are Samurai, Gleek and Rima. We’re missing a few more villains (classic Lex, Grundy, brown Grodd, Toy Man and Giganta), but these still seem like an achievable number.
  • Metamorpho seems really out of place. He’s really obscure compared to everyone else which makes me puzzled about how the choices for the series were decided. I do love me some obscure characters though and I’m not complaining about his inclusion, I just wish there were more included like him. :P

I’m really excited to see the last four figures and I can’t wait to buy these in person. They all look really good, even if I’m dissatisfied with some of the choices.

Edited by Soupperson1