Anonknee Muss

DC Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

Well I'm not a DC diehard, nor much of a comics reader in general any more, so when I saw these I thought:

- A random Green Lantern with a lantern mould, nice.

- Why is Sinestro wearing a Captain Cold - looking outfit?

- A random Two Face henchman crossed with like Sandman, the Spider-Man villain?

- A generic USA outfit woman with a strange blade.

Honestly, if the rest of the figures in the series are in this vein, I can't see it selling very well. Yes, kids might like anything colourful and fun, but I really don't think kids would care for a series of figures they can't recognise and don't look particularly cohesive. I bet a chunk of the series will be the big name heroes in outfits that adults will like, to mitigate that problem.

29 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Well I'm not a DC diehard, nor much of a comics reader in general any more, so when I saw these I thought:

- A random Green Lantern with a lantern mould, nice.

- Why is Sinestro wearing a Captain Cold - looking outfit?

- A random Two Face henchman crossed with like Sandman, the Spider-Man villain?

- A generic USA outfit woman with a strange blade.

Honestly, if the rest of the figures in the series are in this vein, I can't see it selling very well. Yes, kids might like anything colourful and fun, but I really don't think kids would care for a series of figures they can't recognise and don't look particularly cohesive. I bet a chunk of the series will be the big name heroes in outfits that adults will like, to mitigate that problem.

Considering the standard CMFs have been running on archtypes, I don't see the issue. Heck, the only reason I buy any of those figures is for parts for DC figbarfs. 

If those series can sell, I don't see why superheroes wouldn't 

Edited by Duncan Young

54 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

Considering the standard CMFs have been running on archtypes, I don't see the issue. Heck, the only reason I buy any of those figures is for parts for DC figbarfs. 

If those series can sell, I don't see why superheroes wouldn't 

The main difference is that they fit into real world positions (for the most part). People can relate to them and therefore they'd want to buy them.

I think an obscure profession is more likely to sell a minifig than an obscure DC character nobody has heard of. 

I'm a DC fan, but haven't been able to keep up with the recent goings-on in the comics (if you told me we were getting a human Green Lantern, I would assume Hal Jordan, John  Stewart or Guy Gardner). So far I'm not seeing characters that I absolutely must have. I'll buy the full set for the sake of completion, but I'm hoping that the majority of the wave are more mainstream than Metamorpho. 

I was expecting something more along the lines of what we saw in the Harry Potter CMF series. They had the full range of main characters, supported by some side characters. So for DC I would expect the main members of the Justice League and Crime Syndicate as a bare minimum.

1 hour ago, nikhkin said:

The main difference is that they fit into real world positions (for the most part). People can relate to them and therefore they'd want to buy them.

I think an obscure profession is more likely to sell a minifig than an obscure DC character nobody has heard of. 

I'm a DC fan, but haven't been able to keep up with the recent goings-on in the comics (if you told me we were getting a human Green Lantern, I would assume Hal Jordan, John  Stewart or Guy Gardner). So far I'm not seeing characters that I absolutely must have. I'll buy the full set for the sake of completion, but I'm hoping that the majority of the wave are more mainstream than Metamorpho. 

I was expecting something more along the lines of what we saw in the Harry Potter CMF series. They had the full range of main characters, supported by some side characters. So for DC I would expect the main members of the Justice League and Crime Syndicate as a bare minimum.

All the same, I think DC can fit into those same archtypes, while appealing to fans

A Vigilante or Jonah Hex works for Cowboy fans.

An Ares works for mythological fans, as would a number of Wonder Woman foes

Adam Strange would tap into that 50s Space market

Animal Man and Vixen could open up a wealth of new animal moulds 

And you've got the traditional moustache twirling villains for kids to use against their favourite heroes. Literally, in Sinestro's case

1 hour ago, nikhkin said:

I would argue against most CMF fitting into a real world setting. From Zombie and Robot in the first series to space bounty hunter and Monkey from the latest series.

I would include the dog poo picker when discussing obscure professions.

We have the first two Earth Lanterns, and the third of those three first appeared in 1969. I would wager a greater percentage of Lego fans - and possibly even DC fans - aren’t that old. By that logic we should have had the Clock before Batman. As has been mentioned already, Metamorpho is part of the Terrifics team, which is an ongoing series. He also featured in the Justice League and Brave and the Bold cartoons among others. 

If I hadn’t have looked them up, I wouldn’t have known a number of the HP line - which largely consisted of variants of existing characters anyway - including most of the FB section. It’s all relative. I’m hyped for this series, others are too, others not so much. That’s the joy of the hobby. If it brings in new Lego fans or new DC or comic book fans, I’m happy.

1 hour ago, Duncan Young said:

All the same, I think DC can fit into those same archtypes, while appealing to fans

A Vigilante or Jonah Hex works for Cowboy fans.

An Ares works for mythological fans, as would a number of Wonder Woman foes

Adam Strange would tap into that 50s Space market

Animal Man and Vixen could open up a wealth of new animal moulds 

And you've got the traditional moustache twirling villains for kids to use against their favourite heroes. Literally, in Sinestro's case

I'm gonna need a few Jonah Hex's if they include him! Really loved his part in LOT (and I believe he's rumored to appear in Crisis as well)

41 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm gonna need a few Jonah Hex's if they include him! Really loved his part in LOT (and I believe he's rumored to appear in Crisis as well)

Ooh, Jonah Hex would be fantastic.  Fingers crossed.

I like Legends of tomorrow, but do not know every random DC character out there.. Is there a change any of them will come with a new animal mould in this series?
If not this is probably a easy pass for me :shrug_oh_well:

20 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I like Legends of tomorrow, but do not know every random DC character out there.. Is there a change any of them will come with a new animal mould in this series?

The dog pets I'd say. Krypto or Ace the Bat-Hound.They recently included a dolphin and a bike so it might happen

For new moulds, maybe Aquaman with a new sea horse to "ride"? 

34 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Animal Man and Vixen are your best bet. Either could come with any kind of animal

Kids don't need back stories or pre-exposure. Obscure figures will sell just fine. I had the Kenner Super Power figures growing up. I thought Mantis was awesome. I made up my hero story and powers for him. It was years later I learned his real story.

Now, my daughter saw Stargirl and she wants her just because she looks cool to her.

We need Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man, although I'm worried his appearance in the decidedly not child-friendly Doom Patrol show may damper his chances of appearing...

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

The dog pets I'd say. Krypto or Ace the Bat-Hound.

We got both of them last year so I really don't see why lego would put them in a CMF series

Lets not forget Lego will most likely include some big name heroes like Batman and Superman, like they did with Mickey and Minnie for both Disney CMFs.

I really don't have a problem with them using previously used characters as long as their design/variation is as well known and as well designed as the leaked minfigs (I still can't get over arm AND leg printing AND duel molded boots)

I personally have fingers crossed for the Hush Batman and a redesigned classic Superman, and since those two are the only expectations I have for this CMF everyone else included will basically be a very big cherry on top

People are loathing the idea, but honestly I would be disappointed if we didn't get at least ONE variant for the Trinity. Like, do you not understand that this is a prime opportunity for us to get some incredibly high quality printed versions of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman?

1 hour ago, legozebra said:

We need Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man, although I'm worried his appearance in the decidedly not child-friendly Doom Patrol show may damper his chances of appearing...

I was wondering if he’d show up :grin:

6 minutes ago, RadioYeh said:

People are loathing the idea, but honestly I would be disappointed if we didn't get at least ONE variant for the Trinity. Like, do you not understand that this is a prime opportunity for us to get some incredibly high quality printed versions of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman?

I’d assume we will get another bat suit, I’m hoping for Hellbat or the Justice Armour.

Yes we will definitely see at least one Batman and Superman. Would the “Rainbow Batman” from Detective Comics #241 count as one figure or 6? Also, how about a retro George Reeves Superman outfit? I’m excited for this series and any new characters or new outfit designs of DC characters will be great. Please keep comments on the positive fact that they (LEGO) are making this series in the first place and all these figures that are included is a huge bonus for all DC superhero and villain fans (kids and adults alike! ) 

Yeah. I'm just incredibly happy that DC fans are getting this type of content in a primarily Marvel-dominated era of the public.

2 hours ago, Duncan Young said:

Animal Man and Vixen are your best bet. Either could come with any kind of animal

Or better... B'Wana Beast... With his fantastic power to combine animals together.... IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES :grin::grin:

2 hours ago, legozebra said:

He had such a minor role, literally a cameo, so it's not like they'd be promoting the show

Edited by Quicksilver838

Batman Beyond would be my guess for this wave

He works very well as stand alone character, as TLG don't produce sets based on that show

14 hours ago, ood0 said:

Apparently I'm a bigger DC nerd than I realised, because none of these characters are obscure to me. The ones in TLBM CMF series 2 were way more obscure. All of these characters have been in (fairly) recent comics and shows; Stargirl in Stargirl and Legends of Tomorrow, Metamorpho in YJ: Outsiders (don't think he spoke though), Simon Baz in a lot of Green Lantern comic stuff and Sinestro in what is arguably his more iconic suit. These characters (minus Simon Baz, obviously) have also appeared in older TV shows such as Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Full disclaimer, I haven't watched more than a few Justice League Action episodes, so for all I know they could make appearances in that too. 

I think we need a new scale:
'Regular obscure', and 'Justice League Unlimited obscure'  :grin:

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

The cast list for Crisis is immense and it just seems to keep getting bigger (I think Jonah is confirmed for Crisis too). Along with Black Lightning cast members, Smallville cast members, 1960s batman cast members, and Kevin Flippin Conroy.

Maybe there will be a degree of tie in, but from the current leaks it doesn't look like it.. Even though I need a Vibe minifig  :( 

Psht. You guys wanting "normal obscure" while I'm out here hoping for "Grant Morrison obscure." Have fun being WAAAAAY more likely to have your ideas met!

All kidding aside, I would be so down for a Constantine 'fig, as I figure a CMF would be the only place we'd get one. However, I know he's not as visually appealing or toyetic as most costumes go, so I'm not holding my breath.