Anonknee Muss

DC Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

I never said DC characters are not appealing or interesting. In fact, as I said, I have some DC minifigures

I was just trying to say that you can't expect a line-up of obscure characters because it just won't work. 

Look at Disney, Simpsons and Harry Potter CMFs bags... all the main characters are featured on the bag: Newt, Harry, Homer, Bart, Mickey and Minnie...

It will be the same with this series: to appeal a mainstream public, you have to include mainstream characters

Who are DC's main characters? Well, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman. (They tried with Green Lantern and Shazam but it just doesnt work)

Those have to be in the series somehow. Look at what they did in Disney S2, they had to include Mickey and Minnie somehow, even if that meant pretty much including the same minifigures from the Ideas sets, just with a different sade of gray. 

I'd would expect a 20 minifigures series -like the Batman movie ones- with 14-16 well known characters: The "main ones" + Joker, Green Latern, Cyborg, Catwoman, Lex Luthor, etc... and the rest can like a handful of obscure characters. 

That's how I think this will be

Edited by Robert8

37 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

It will be the same with this series: to appeal a mainstream public, you have to include mainstream characters

Exactly. You can‘t expect a series filled with obscure characters to sell, there have to be some iconic characters front and center, and in DC‘s case it‘s not hard to guess who those are :purrr: Hey, at least this means there‘s a high probability of a new version of Supes showing up, which people have been clamoring for :grin:

Edited by Lego-Freak

I just don't see a Joker variant. Not one you can't have in sets that is. Same with Aquaman. 

Batman? Obviously. Superman and Wonder Woman? Of course. Green Lantern and Flash variants- absolutely. One failed movie hasn't stopped Lego from making five different Green Lantern figs (though three all Hal variants). Harley Quinn and Deathstroke are also popular enough to be considered "confirmed" 

The rest will be relatively well known. Batman and the more popular Leaguers on the packaging alone will be enough to sell it to kids. But relatively. Not the Uber Popular ones. LBM wasn't that. Even Harry Potter had the likes of Dean Thomas, who as far as students go, isn't as popular. 

Lego isn't going to throw in popular definitive Batman villains when or else they won't be able to sell those villains in the actual sets. That's why they went with ridiculously stylised Joker, Two-Face, Bane and Croc figs in the LBM line. As, if they kept that high quality but with their comic appearance, they wouldn't be able to go "look, a new comic Joker" 

Edited by Duncan Young

Since we're pretty much guaranteed to get Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc. figs, hopefully this means we'll get some fun variants. Personally, I'd love to see a Black Suit Superman with the Sirius Black hair for his mullet (#MulletForSuperman) and maybe even a Batman Beyond as a Batman stand in. Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner would be great for Green Lantern and would love a 90s Aquaman with the hook hand!

Another good measure of what works in DC collectable series for general audiences are the series of Imaginext DC figures in blind bags. Each series (usually 6 in each series) has obscure figures but always features at least two or three ‘big hitter’ character variants ( batman, joker, superman, WW repeatedly). That said, it has produced some we have yet to see in Lego such as Dr Fate, Black Adam, Black Lightning, Vixen who I wouldn’t be surprised to see in a CMF series.  

I think some of the characters who are in current / recent tv adaptations, such as Young Justice and Arrowverse are quite likely too.

1 hour ago, Duncan Young said:

I just don't see a Joker variant. Not one you can't have in sets that is. Same with Aquaman. 

Batman? Obviously. Superman and Wonder Woman? Of course. Green Lantern and Flash variants- absolutely. One failed movie hasn't stopped Lego from making five different Green Lantern figs (though three all Hal variants). Harley Quinn and Deathstroke are also popular enough to be considered "confirmed" 

The rest will be relatively well known. Batman and the more popular Leaguers on the packaging alone will be enough to sell it to kids. But relatively. Not the Uber Popular ones. LBM wasn't that. Even Harry Potter had the likes of Dean Thomas, who as far as students go, isn't as popular. 

Lego isn't going to throw in popular definitive Batman villains when or else they won't be able to sell those villains in the actual sets. That's why they went with ridiculously stylised Joker, Two-Face, Bane and Croc figs in the LBM line. As, if they kept that high quality but with their comic appearance, they wouldn't be able to go "look, a new comic Joker" 

I swear they should have run out of Harley Quinn variants by now. It would be a major mistake to put her in the CMF. I’m good with variants of all the main JL members cuz it’s guaranteed and wouldn’t be too bad to get super detailed figures of them all. I can see Deathstroke being a DC Supervillains variant if he was included but I’d rather have one with a custom helmet and not just a helmet for face printing. Though I wouldn’t be at all surprised (and I don’t think we should automatically consider them obscure because they are absolutely not if we happened to get at least four or five of the following characters: Zatanna, Doctor Fate, Atom, Hawkgirl (with her true helmet), Red Tornado (less likely than the others), Guy Gardener, Vixen, Ted Kord Blue Beetle, Booster Gold (with skeets), Ronnie Raymond Firestorm, Saturn Girl, Brainiac 5, Raven. I really hope we don’t get any batman villains that we had in any of the sets this summer because that would be a complete waste (except for maybe Two Face with a better outfit because the one they used is pretty lame). As for villains I can see them giving us: Circe for WW (second pick minifigure Giganta), Deathstroke for Batman (He had his own 2 CMFs and 95% of all the sets so honestly I’d be fine if he didn’t get a villain counter part), Metallo for Superman (Jimmy Olsen or comic version Lois Lane are good second picks), Heatwave for Flash (Personally I say I would want Godspeed but more likely second pick is Mirror Master, though Weather Wizard or Golden Glider would also be appreciated, I’d even take the Pied Piper or the Top. If you can’t tell I’m a major Flash fan). For Green lantern I can see minifigure Atrocitus like in the Aquaman LEGO movie (though I hope not cuz he would be better as a big fig, and second pick is star sapphire though I would also think Larfleeze has a fighting chance). For Aquaman I would love a hook handed variant of him though for villains he has run out so I’d say Mera (though King Shark would be cool but he needs a big fig). I don’t think they’ll give us Shazam again but if they do it’s highly likely we’d get Black Adam (though I can see Black Adam without Shazam in there; but a Shazam variant with molded legs, hair and the dropped hood in white (like Green Arrow in 2015 had) would be not too bad. If they include Martian Manhunter I would be surprised and if they gave him a villain to go along with him it could be a white Martian which I doubt, but I think they’d give him Miss Martian (second pick would be Dasaad). If they gave us Cyborg, the only villain I can see him getting as a counterpart if he got one would be Grid. In which case I can see all the JL getting the Crime Syndicate counterparts in this series (which could work given the high level of specially designed pieces for characters like Owlman and Johnny Quick, their helmets and even Owlman’s cape could have a feather like cut to it.

I don't know how licensing works, but I think Joaquin Phoenix Joker is a strong contender for this

He wouldn' work for an "action set" because he won't be interacting with Batman in the movie. And it would be very strange to have him like piloting a mech fighting against the Batmobile or something. He is a different kind of Joker. 

And also the movie will be very mature. So, like the Killling Joke Joker in TLBM series, it works as a stand-alone figure out of context

3 hours ago, Changbricks said:

Since we're pretty much guaranteed to get Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc. figs, hopefully this means we'll get some fun variants. Personally, I'd love to see a Black Suit Superman with the Sirius Black hair for his mullet (#MulletForSuperman) and maybe even a Batman Beyond as a Batman stand in. Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner would be great for Green Lantern and would love a 90s Aquaman with the hook hand!

We will never get Black Suit Superman in a CMF series or normal set as he was 2013's SDCC DC Comics exclusive 

Is it too farfetched to think this might be a DC Supervillains CMF? As the potential is definetely there.

They could include the entire Justice Syndicate, a lot of villains we've never had before (like Mirror Master, Mercy Graves and Metallo) and some new hero figures (like Superman with the S on his cape). I think I'd really like that! After all a lot of kids play the lego games and there are plenty characters present in the game's story

40 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

We will never get Black Suit Superman in a CMF series or normal set as he was 2013's SDCC DC Comics exclusive 

Is it too farfetched to think this might be a DC Supervillains CMF? As the potential is definetely there.

They could include the entire Justice Syndicate, a lot of villains we've never had before (like Mirror Master, Mercy Graves and Metallo) and some new hero figures (like Superman with the S on his cape). I think I'd really like that! After all a lot of kids play the lego games and there are plenty characters present in the game's story

I thinks it's almost a certainty that we'll be seeing a lot of DCSV designs, specifically Heat Wave, Mirror Master, Merlyn, Black Adam, Deathstroke and Livewire

As for black suit Superman I wouldn't rule it out. While the SDCC fig was based on the dream in Man of Steel, the proposed #mulletforsuperman variant would be based on his solar suit outfit he used after his resurrection, after Doomsday killed him.

25 minutes ago, Lionbear8 said:

off topic guys, how many Batman Zebra mini - figures were released?

Do you mean the amount of figs they made for Comic Con?

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I'd would expect a 20 minifigures series -like the Batman movie ones- with 14-16 well known characters: The "main ones" + Joker, Green Latern, Cyborg, Catwoman, Lex Luthor, etc... and the rest can like a handful of obscure characters.

I expect the same numbers, but probably not Joker, Catwoman and Cyborg as we've had them many times in recent waves with some sets using them still on shelves. I'd probably expect comic versions of characters currently popular in other DC media (EG, Jay Garrick, Robin, Kid Flash, Artemis, Green Arrow, Superboy) to appear as that'd work better as a selling point and wouldn't detract from the sales of sets featuring the main DC heroes. I also expect characters relevant in the comics (Zatanna, Black Adam, Martian Manhunter, Kyle Rayner) will have a strong chance of appearing too. I doubt they'd put any of the heroes we commonly used to sell sets in a CMF.

1 hour ago, Duncan Young said:

I thinks it's almost a certainty that we'll be seeing a lot of DCSV designs, specifically Heat Wave, Mirror Master, Merlyn, Black Adam, Deathstroke and Livewire

I'd love a Mirror Master, especially in a CMF as it'd make it really easy to get a collection of mirror duplicates.

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Huh. What about Shazam?

8 minutes ago, J4ck said:

Huh. What about Shazam?

Dang, completely forgot about him. Though that may just have been an exception since a lot more people now know him because of the movie, who knows?!

57 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Dang, completely forgot about him. Though that may just have been an exception since a lot more people now know him because of the movie, who knows?!

Pretty sure the exception was made because of the outfit change from his original look to the updated New-52 look. It's not like Spider-man figures haven't come out since we got one of his suits as an exclusive.

Also, the black suit released at Comic Con looks more like a black version of the Man of Steel suit than the comic book Recovery Suit so I'd say it's very possible (especially seeing the popularity of the suit and it's recent return in the Reborn / Lois & Clark storyline)

6 hours ago, Duncan Young said:

As for black suit Superman I wouldn't rule it out. While the SDCC fig was based on the dream in Man of Steel, the proposed #mulletforsuperman variant would be based on his solar suit outfit he used after his resurrection, after Doomsday killed him.

Do you mean the amount of figs they made for Comic Con?

Correct. 

2 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

Pretty sure the exception was made because of the outfit change from his original look to the updated New-52 look. It's not like Spider-man figures haven't come out since we got one of his suits as an exclusive.

Also, the black suit released at Comic Con looks more like a black version of the Man of Steel suit than the comic book Recovery Suit so I'd say it's very possible (especially seeing the popularity of the suit and it's recent return in the Reborn / Lois & Clark storyline)

Spidey isn't a good example though, as there are pretty much endless amounts of different Spider-Men (and women) and all Spider-Man characters that have been represented in SDCC form have never appeared in other sets (taking in mind TASM Peter Parker isn't the same as MCU Peter Parker and so on)

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Spidey isn't a good example though, as there are pretty much endless amounts of different Spider-Men (and women) and all Spider-Man characters that have been represented in SDCC form have never appeared in other sets (taking in mind TASM Peter Parker isn't the same as MCU Peter Parker and so on)

That's the same vein as the Superman fig really. 

DCEU Superman is a different entity from the comics Solar Suit Clark just like with Spider-Man

1 minute ago, Duncan Young said:

That's the same vein as the Superman fig really. 

DCEU Superman is a different entity from the comics Solar Suit Clark just like with Spider-Man

Didn't know that, my DC knowledge is pretty much grounded to the things I've seen/played in Arrow, The Flash, the LEGO Games and one of the Batman games (I believe Arkham Origins). So I wouldn't really know :laugh_hard:

A character that would really make sense for Lego to do is vandal savage. I understand that he isn't the most popular character (I mean, I didn't know who he was until arrowverse). But, he is growing in popularity because of the show. He was also in DC villains game and he has a really unique design over all

Just now, DeCommander96 said:

A character that would really make sense for Lego to do is vandal savage. I understand that he isn't the most popular character (I mean, I didn't know who he was until arrowverse). But, he is growing in popularity because of the show. He was also in DC villains game and he has a really unique design over all

He was in one of the DLC packs, which means he wasn't important enough to be included in the main game

6 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

He was in one of the DLC packs, which means he wasn't important enough to be included in the main game

Really? Could've sworn he was in the main game

33 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Eh, that's not how I read it. Otherwise Supergirl, Man-Bat, Mad Hatter, Zatanna, Swamp Thing, and Ocean Master wouldn't be important enough to be in the main game. There are always a few characters who are exclusive to the DLC as a selling point, or because they would otherwise be too repetitious to include twice.

Personally I don't think Savage is very obscure (not on the same level as any of the other Arrowverse DLC villains). I'd probably put him on the same level as Cheetah or Solomon Grundy, his design is just less eye-catching since he's normally a bearded guy in a suit. But I suppose what characters are "obscure" has a lot to do with what media one has been exposed to.

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

Has anyone considered this CMF could be one last 80th Anniversary Batman thing

I wouldn't hate if they just did an entire CMF with just the Batsuits from 1939 to 2019

Edited by Mountain Drew

26 minutes ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

Eh, that's not how I read it. Otherwise Supergirl, Man-Bat, Mad Hatter, Zatanna, Swamp Thing, and Ocean Master wouldn't be important enough to be in the main game. There are always a few characters who are exclusive to the DLC as a selling point, or because they would otherwise be too repetitious to include twice.

Personally I don't think Savage is very obscure (not on the same level as any of the other Arrowverse DLC villains). I'd probably put him on the same level as Cheetah or Solomon Grundy, his design is just less eye-catching since he's normally a bearded guy in a suit. But I suppose what characters are "obscure" has a lot to do with what media one has been exposed to.

A few years ago one of the game directors (don't really remember from which game) said that most DLC characters are those they wanted to put in the game but couldn't quite make the cut, though some DLC's are definetely made to draw people in.

But you also got to take in mind that their primary focus is to include as many characters that haven't been in any of the previous games as possible. So that could explain why characters like Zatanna and Swamp Thing weren't in the main game.

But I think we shouldn't linger around this DLC topic for too long before we're getting really off-topic again

17 minutes ago, Mountain Drew said:

Has anyone considered this CMF could be one last 80th Anniversary Batman thing

I wouldn't hate if they just did an entire CMF with just the Batsuits from 1939 to 2019

That would at least save me a lot of money