Anonknee Muss

DC Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

One question I have is, where will we see this minifigure...In a $5 polybag? $50 Batman set? Gift with $75 purchase from Legoshop? Since the design is not from the movie, maybe not a stand alone set? Besides where it will show up, the other question is when? Soon I hope! (The main cast of characters for the DC superheroes team is almost complete, thanks LEGO) 

Edited by BitByBrick

Pretty amazing that we go all this time with a single word on Shazam, then a day after confirming he’s coming we have pix of the fig. I’m not a DC fan but looks good to me!

Just now, BitByBrick said:

One question I have is, where will we see this minifigure...In a $5 polybag? $50 Batman set? Gift with $75 purchase from Legoshop? Since the design is not from the movie, maybe not a stand alone set? Besides where it will show up, the other question is when? Soon I hope! (The main cast of characters for the DC superheroes team is almost complete, thanks LEGO) 

I think it'll be in the 76120 Riddler Heist set in the Batman summer wave, since Shazam is a flying character and the set is rumored to have the Batwing included.

I do hope that we get a Shazam villain just to even things out, like Black Adam or Doctor Sivanna.

5 minutes ago, Mountain Drew said:

I think it'll be in the 76120 Riddler Heist set in the Batman summer wave, since Shazam is a flying character and the set is rumored to have the Batwing included.

I do hope that we get a Shazam villain just to even things out, like Black Adam or Doctor Sivanna.

Batwing rumored ? first I'm hearing of it?

is every Batman set going to have a bat vehicle for the 80 year anniversary sets? 

also I think Shazam will be in a Shazam set, April release because Lego loves to spoil movie plot points. 

my 2 cents!!

10 minutes ago, Mountain Drew said:

That sucks if it is a batwing. I was hoping for some museum heist playset. (which could tie in to Black Adam)

3 minutes ago, IRISHCLOWN said:

That sucks if it is a batwing. I was hoping for some museum heist playset. (which could tie in to Black Adam)

A museum heist would be awesome, but I'd be surprised. You know Lego loves vehicles. 

I quite like the Shazam fig. While it is clearly the comic look, it's not exactly the LB3 version (look at the printing above the bolt, or lack thereof, and the detail lines on the belt and sides next to the bolt are more naturally blended than outright black on the real figure). And I double-checked Lego DC Super-Villains, and it doesn't quite match that game either, since the belt is much smaller and doesn't continue onto the hips.

That being said, I think the simplicity of the design here looks great. Too much detail on the arms or legs could have been easily off-putting, especially since he's not famous for arm/pants designs, and while a lack of boots is something that could have been done differently, we have to keep in mind that non-dual-molded legs are still the norm and not the exception for the theme. Superman himself only got boots once in a more expensive set, after all.

Most people on Instagram are complaining about Shazam saying they wish it’s a prototype lol. I like it, however boots would have been preferable. I’m just happy we got him in general. Also if you don’t have high expectations, you won’t get disappointed, that’s what I go by

The lack of dual molded boots don't bother me and I've always seen arm printing as a bonus not a necessity. For a character that's only previously been released as a SDCC exclusive I'm just glad he's finally getting a public release.

I think we are jumping ahead assuming this is a comic version. It’s entirely possible this is just a poor representation of the movie costume...it’s happened before. I’m still thinking this is in retail exclusive tie in set. 

Why does everyone assume he won’t get a movie set just because he’s inaccurate? Look at a bunch of superhero movie sets and you’ll see how inaccurate the figures are sometimes. Crossbones from Civil War was a weird mix of movie and comic styles, for example. I count Ares as a figure and he was totally inaccurate to the movie appearance. Glowing Black Panther was blue instead of purple. I’m sure this is from the movie but they just chose to make a more comic styled figure for some reason. 

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Why does everyone assume he won’t get a movie set just because he’s inaccurate? Look at a bunch of superhero movie sets and you’ll see how inaccurate the figures are sometimes. Crossbones from Civil War was a weird mix of movie and comic styles, for example. I count Ares as a figure and he was totally inaccurate to the movie appearance. Glowing Black Panther was blue instead of purple. I’m sure this is from the movie but they just chose to make a more comic styled figure for some reason. 

Most tie-in sets are inaccurate, let alone the figures. At this point I don’t care how he comes presented, just glad to get him. It’s recognisably him, so what’s the worry? (Sorry, hypothetical question, not directed at you :classic:)

Edited by RedHoodPug

On 2/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, RedHoodPug said:

Sadly not Black Adam and allegedly no mention of him. The chances of him being portrayed by Dwayne Johnson are getting slimmer unless it’s completely under wraps. Hopefully he will appear at some point to help bolster the LoD ranks (Adam not Johnson :laugh:)

There’s been reports that Black Adam will get his own movie instead. I’ve also read that Black Adam will be the villain of Shazam 2.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

That Shazam is.... lackluster 

It seems like something from 4 years ago

Switch the legs out for Flash’s dual moulded legs then it’ll be tonnes better.

So, it's a comic-based New 52 variant of the character rather than the DCEU incarnation eh?

Well, while I typically prefer comic-based variants of DC/Marvel characters, I would've preferred the cinematic incarnation in this case, as I'm not that keen on this figure's skewed insignia. The cinematic suit at least doesn't have that problem. :def_shrug:

9 hours ago, J4ck said:

There’s been reports that Black Adam will get his own movie instead. I’ve also read that Black Adam will be the villain of Shazam 2.

Switch the legs out for Flash’s dual moulded legs then it’ll be tonnes better.

Yeah, the Black Adam movie was one of the first non-trinity ones touted, but that a couple of years ago now. But you look at how big a commodity Johnson is and whether he’s started on it yet, and the likelihood is that filming won’t begin until 2020 at the earliest. 

The Shazam looks like it has a great torso and face print. TBH I prefer it to the one we've seen from movie. I'd like if we got two, with one being even more accurate to the movie, but l doubt that they'd release two so similar versions of a much wanted and popular (at least after the movie) superheroes in two different sets in the same wave. Although I remember a leaker recently confirming that a movie version had printed legs which this leaked figure noticeably missed.

Edited by Brick Cucumber

Perhaps this is a comic book set that may include a comic Black Adam just so we have Shazams arch enemy whilst theres still a movie set with a lesser known villain of his (Dr Sivana)

How do we know we're not also getting a DCEU Shazam set like end of 2018's DCEU Aquaman set and 2019's Aquaman/Ocean Master set. What's there to say that we're also not getting one or two other DC sets along with this release (unlikely I know). I know Lego doesn't always list every set (for spoiler reasons etc.) and they sometimes and suddenly spring new sets from these big themes almost at random (sometimes to coincide with movies, sometimes not). I dunno then again I'm not examining this on all cylinders (I also don't really care, I'm just glad to GET a Shazam set at all).

I hyped myself way too much for that dlc design, it just looked a lot like a figure that’d be released.

28 minutes ago, PremierComix said:

How do we know we're not also getting a DCEU Shazam set like end of 2018's DCEU Aquaman set and 2019's Aquaman/Ocean Master set. What's there to say that we're also not getting one or two other DC sets along with this release (unlikely I know). I know Lego doesn't always list every set (for spoiler reasons etc.) and they sometimes and suddenly spring new sets from these big themes almost at random (sometimes to coincide with movies, sometimes not). I dunno then again I'm not examining this on all cylinders (I also don't really care, I'm just glad to GET a Shazam set at all).

Very hopeful thinking, it’d be cool to get two Shazam themed sets but I’m not so optimistic about that. It’s only disappointing to hear we’re supposedly getting two Joker and two Riddler sets.

1 minute ago, HMD BrickCustoms said:

?, a reliable leaker stated that it is from a movie set

Sorry, but I’m new here, don’t know who is reliable leaker :)