Anonknee Muss

DC Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

50 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Hmmm

For me obscure characters are those who dont appear regularly on mainstream media, like movies, videogames, TV shows (either animated or not)... if they are character that only appear in comic books, and are not well-known out of them... I would say they are obscure. Mostly because they were not popular enough to make into mainstream media. 

I know a little bit -just a little- of DC lore and I dont know most of the characters people are wish-listing here. 

And Im an avid CMF collector but if the series is filled with these obscure characters I dont think I will buy any. And just like me, there will be people who regularly buy CMFs that wont get these simply because we dont know who they are. Also, I already have a Poison Ivy and a Joker minifigures. Even if they are well known characters I wont buy them again because I just dont see the point of getting several versions of the same thing. Or just the same version just with more printing and details. 

On the opposite, DC and superheroes fans overall, who dont regularly buy CMFs, will get these for sure. 

The second group needs to be larger than the first one for this series to sell well.

That's why I wouldnt expect a lot of these obscure characters people are listing. This has to appeal as much people as possible. 

And thats where the tricky part comes considering Batman S1 sold well but S2 did very bad.....

In TLMB series they did include Mime, Zodiac Master and Calculator because they made cameos in the movie. Just like Watermelon Guy or Hula Lula made into the TLM2 series even if they had like 0.1 seconds of screentime. 

Lego has had time to expose people to these characters through their LEGO dc superheroes movies and games. Fans who actually buy the sets because they like the dc characters and comics will have also played the games and watched the many movies they’ve made so they will know Doctor Fate, Zatanna, Saturn Girl, Vandal Savage, the Atom, and more who have made appearances in both the movies and game.

2 hours ago, CoolDudeRadman said:

Lego has had time to expose people to these characters through their LEGO dc superheroes movies and games. Fans who actually buy the sets because they like the dc characters and comics will have also played the games and watched the many movies they’ve made so they will know Doctor Fate, Zatanna, Saturn Girl, Vandal Savage, the Atom, and more who have made appearances in both the movies and game.

A CMF also has to have some appeal to non-DC fans. As for the characters you've listed I know who Doctor Fate and Zatanna are because of the games, Vandal Savage and Atom because of the Arrowverse but I've never heard of Saturn Girl

17 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

A CMF also has to have some appeal to non-DC fans. As for the characters you've listed I know who Doctor Fate and Zatanna are because of the games, Vandal Savage and Atom because of the Arrowverse but I've never heard of Saturn Girl

She’s been in comics over 60 years as a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, but in more recent popular culture she was in the Lego animated movie Cosmic Clash. We have her original team mates Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad, but Lego stopped short of completing the lineup for reasons.

@Robert8 on an aside Imaginext have been running an equivalent series (albeit with fewer characters per series) and they are on like series 6. They have been putting some good obscure characters and versions in, like Kingdom Come Superman and Aquaman, and it still sells. My son is 5, and he sees those mentioned as Superman’s dad and smart Aquaman, and he loves them. Child logic is different from ours and if Lego can tap it then all success to them.

2 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

She’s been in comics over 60 years as a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, but in more recent popular culture she was in the Lego animated movie Cosmic Clash. We have her original team mates Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad, but Lego stopped short of completing the lineup for reasons.

@Robert8 on an aside Imaginext have been running an equivalent series (albeit with fewer characters per series) and they are on like series 6. They have been putting some good obscure characters and versions in, like Kingdom Come Superman and Aquaman, and it still sells. My son is 5, and he sees those mentioned as Superman’s dad and smart Aquaman, and he loves them. Child logic is different from ours and if Lego can tap it then all success to them.

Aye, I was in Smyth's just two days ago and they had the likes of Mongul, Doctor Fate, Cassandra Cain as Black Bat, Duke Thomas as Signal, Swamp Thing and a Zero Year Batman. To kids it doesn't matter who they are, as long as they look pretty. The likes of Swamp Thing or Mongul are just monsters to them. Cass and Duke are Bat-Friends (which they are really), Zero Year Batman is Hiking Batman and so on. 

And to @Robert8, each time a licensed CMF series is released, even if it's taking the space of a standard one, it's not there to appeal to the same market. Harry Potter made sales because of the Harry Potter fans, likewise with Disney, and it's not like those produced tons of pieces that could be reused for other themes. Imaginext has been going strong with their series, using the likes of Parallax Sinestro and Flashpoint Aquaman for the second series. When I personally, rarely, get non-licensed CMFs, it's with the purpose of using parts to bolster my DC collection, and I don't think I'm alone. In this case, the DC series whether it's popular characters or "obscure" ones, isn't meant for you, and likely is far more appealing to kids than a gardener with a Flamingo or a cyclist. I think you severely underestimate the appeal of these kinds of characters when Superheroes in general are bigger than ever. 

Edited by Duncan Young

10 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

Someone asked on Quora and the top answer gives about 150. The others I’m including non-comic iterations ie Lego and movie versions. If there isn’t a bonafide list I may have to create one.

Ooooo, cheers @RedHoodPug!

13 hours ago, DeCommander96 said:

Search batsuit variations and you'll get loads of images

I found a few, but haven’t really found a list.

Edited by J4ck

6 hours ago, Duncan Young said:

Aye, I was in Smyth's just two days ago and they had the likes of Mongul, Doctor Fate, Cassandra Cain as Black Bat, Duke Thomas as Signal, Swamp Thing and a Zero Year Batman. To kids it doesn't matter who they are, as long as they look pretty. The likes of Swamp Thing or Mongul are just monsters to them. Cass and Duke are Bat-Friends (which they are really), Zero Year Batman is Hiking Batman and so on. 

And to @Robert8, each time a licensed CMF series is released, even if it's taking the space of a standard one, it's not there to appeal to the same market. Harry Potter made sales because of the Harry Potter fans, likewise with Disney, and it's not like those produced tons of pieces that could be reused for other themes. Imaginext has been going strong with their series, using the likes of Parallax Sinestro and Flashpoint Aquaman for the second series. When I personally, rarely, get non-licensed CMFs, it's with the purpose of using parts to bolster my DC collection, and I don't think I'm alone. In this case, the DC series whether it's popular characters or "obscure" ones, isn't meant for you, and likely is far more appealing to kids than a gardener with a Flamingo or a cyclist. I think you severely underestimate the appeal of these kinds of characters when Superheroes in general are bigger than ever. 

Yeah, I'm not getting the "licensed CMFs should appeal to those who aren't fans of those properties" mindset that some seem to have. Aside from collectors who have to have every single minifigure from every CMF or people looking for specific parts, if you weren't a DC fan at all, why would you bother feeling through bags upon bags to find, say, the Joker? Same goes for any licensed series, or theme for that matter, especially for something like the Simpsons, which I can't understand how that would appeal to non-fans with their molded heads and whatnot. I'm not a fan of Harry Potter and couldn't care less about the CMF, so I skipped it entirely. I can't think of any way Lego could've spun that to make someone like me interested in it, and that's okay. It's not for me, it's for Harry Potter fans, and bound to happen with any licensed series. There's no reason to "dumb them down" for lack of better words so that people who aren't even fans of those properties would buy them. Lego's never done that, and I hope they don't do that at the expense of the fans.

6 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Yeah, I'm not getting the "licensed CMFs should appeal to those who aren't fans of those properties" mindset that some seem to have. Aside from collectors who have to have every single minifigure from every CMF or people looking for specific parts, if you weren't a DC fan at all, why would you bother feeling through bags upon bags to find, say, the Joker? Same goes for any licensed series, or theme for that matter, especially for something like the Simpsons, which I can't understand how that would appeal to non-fans with their molded heads and whatnot. I'm not a fan of Harry Potter and couldn't care less about the CMF, so I skipped it entirely. I can't think of any way Lego could've spun that to make someone like me interested in it, and that's okay. It's not for me, it's for Harry Potter fans, and bound to happen with any licensed series. There's no reason to "dumb them down" for lack of better words so that people who aren't even fans of those properties would buy them. Lego's never done that, and I hope they don't do that at the expense of the fans.

Did the Simpsons get a cmf?

8 hours ago, DeCommander96 said:

Tried Wikipedia?

Yes, didn’t find much.

6 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

I agree. I skipped out on Simpson’s, Disney & WW because none of them have any appeal to me.

22 minutes ago, J4ck said:

Yes, didn’t find much.

I agree. I skipped out on Simpson’s, Disney & WW because none of them have any appeal to me.

Don't know then sorry mate

46 minutes ago, J4ck said:

RedHoodPug said quora would be good so I’ll look there.

Alright, but whatever you do, don't give it your email. I made that mistake and now I get spammed with quota digest every day

29 minutes ago, DeCommander96 said:

Alright, but whatever you do, don't give it your email. I made that mistake and now I get spammed with quota digest every day

You do know you can turn that off right? Just click the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the emails

58 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

You do know you can turn that off right? Just click the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the emails

I can't see no unsubscribe button

I just blocked quora lol

I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment with the rumored CMF series, LBM series 2 sold badly, from what I recall, and at least in my area, so did the first series. I know we love to think we will get obscure characters, but I feel like for a potential series 1 of DC, it will probably be 20-22 figures of recognizable characters, in my mind, a great series would be 10-11 heroes with 10-11 villains to match

In conclusion, Im lowering my expectations for obscure characters, but I'm excited to probably get the most detailed depictions of ICONIC DC characters 

3 hours ago, legosamsonite said:

I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment with the rumored CMF series, LBM series 2 sold badly, from what I recall, and at least in my area, so did the first series. I know we love to think we will get obscure characters, but I feel like for a potential series 1 of DC, it will probably be 20-22 figures of recognizable characters, in my mind, a great series would be 10-11 heroes with 10-11 villains to match

In conclusion, Im lowering my expectations for obscure characters, but I'm excited to probably get the most detailed depictions of ICONIC DC characters 

I would be very surprised if the whole line is just versions of characters that we have seen before, that would render the whole operation pointless. Given what we have seen with the Simpsons, Disney and Harry Potter, a more likely scenario is that we will get a mix of previously unseen versions of regular characters and new characters, possibly one or two obscure ones. If they are brave enough to take the risk of doing this line, they are brave enough to take some risks with it.

To be honest, with my wish lists I am adult enough to know that a lot of what I would like won’t get made. But that’s part of the fun of guessing. Would I appreciate the Seven Soldiers of Victory? You’re damn right I would. Do I seriously expect to get them? No, I really don’t, but a man can dream.

1 hour ago, CoolDudeRadman said:

All I can say is if the CMF doesn’t have the Challengers of the Unknown it’s a bust.

who? 

If it doesn't have condiment King, I'm out

9 minutes ago, DeCommander96 said:

who? 

That's a pretty bad character to use as a joke since we got a pretty much spot-on Condiment King through the TLBM sets

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor condiment king

23 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

That's a pretty bad character to use as a joke since we got a pretty much spot-on Condiment King through the TLBM sets

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor condiment king

Damn, my bad, he was the first that came to mind

3 hours ago, DeCommander96 said:

who? 

Challengers of the unknown, the most obscure gang of lovable misfits I have in my arsenal. There’s 5 of them and it was mostly a joke to the fact that they are probably the absolute bottom of the barrel besides maybe arm falloff boy and codpiece (who honestly LEGO needs to just give us already we’ve all been waiting long enough)

You know, I don’t really imagine the D2C to be a batmobile witha display like the rampage set. The piece count makes it seem just odd.

I really do think it is a collection of batvehicles:

Imagine:

1960: A revamped version of the

1989: A version even closer to the appearance of the 89 mobile

1993: Mask of The Phantasm Mobile

1995: Kilmer Mobile

1997: Clooney Mobile

2005: The Tumbler

2016: A revamped version of the Affleck Mobile

Top that off with a small display of the batcave and some figures, and it would be perfect.

Imagine: 1960: Updated Cowl West Batman 

1989: Batman and Joker

1993: Batman and Phantasm

1995: Batman (Batnipples) and Riddler

1997: Batman (Silver Suit) 

2005: Batman and Scarecrow

2016: batman and Jared Leto Joker

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

I don't really expect many new characters in the CMF, just mostly updated figs/different variations. 

For Example:

if its the same pattern as the Disney series, with one - two characters per property (new Batman and Robin designs, updated Superman and Jimmy Olsen, Mary and Doctor Sivanna, etc.) I still think this will sell like hot cakes if they do it right (I'm surprised that the Batman CMF didn't sell as well as expected, since it was a good chance to pick up obscure characters and designs)