Anonknee Muss

DC Superheroes 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

Does it seem like things might be a little rocky with the DC license? There's that Shazam! polybag that's floating around in the wild, but it hasn't been officially released. Then the D2C seems like it's been pushed back, and now we're finding out that there won't be a winter wave of sets. The latest wave of bat-sets started seeing 10-20% discounts within a few weeks of release, and I still see a ton of them on shelves. And LEGO specifically called out Avengers sets but not the Super Heroes theme as a whole as a strong performer in their latest earnings report.

I know that LEGO and WB have a very strong working relationship, especially on ancillary products like films and home movies. But I'm starting to get the sense that LEGO might be taking their foot off the gas as far as DC sets. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

2 hours ago, BrickSantorum said:

Does it seem like things might be a little rocky with the DC license? There's that Shazam! polybag that's floating around in the wild, but it hasn't been officially released. Then the D2C seems like it's been pushed back, and now we're finding out that there won't be a winter wave of sets. The latest wave of bat-sets started seeing 10-20% discounts within a few weeks of release, and I still see a ton of them on shelves. And LEGO specifically called out Avengers sets but not the Super Heroes theme as a whole as a strong performer in their latest earnings report.

I know that LEGO and WB have a very strong working relationship, especially on ancillary products like films and home movies. But I'm starting to get the sense that LEGO might be taking their foot off the gas as far as DC sets. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Batman/DC Superheroes has been my fav theme since I was a child and reading that broke my heart, but I think you are right.

We had several DC superheroes sets and Im pretty sure the best sellers were only the ones with batman in it.  The rest, despite some were awesome (like the Justice League Javelin 7, the brainiac attacks ship, or superhero girls school (yes, I really loved superhero girls too) didnt sell as LEGO expected.

To be fair, It can be taken as a joke, but really, everything with Batman in it is more popular. But putting Batman in EVERY set EVERY year can fatigue casual customers, and make sells drop too.

Hope LEGO dont let die the franchise...

2 minutes ago, WillieFawcett said:

Batman/DC Superheroes has been my fav theme since I was a child and reading that broke my heart, but I think you are right.

We had several DC superheroes sets and Im pretty sure the best sellers were only the ones with batman in it.  The rest, despite some were awesome (like the Justice League Javelin 7, the brainiac attacks ship, or superhero girls school (yes, I really loved superhero girls too) didnt sell as LEGO expected.

To be fair, It can be taken as a joke, but really, everything with Batman in it is more popular. But putting Batman in EVERY set EVERY year can fatigue casual customers, and make sells drop too.

Hope LEGO dont let die the franchise...

Javelin 7 is one of my favorite sets, and I really would like to see more sets like it, but sadly as you said, everything we are geting lately is Batman relates sets. Don't get me wrong, I'm huge Batman fan, but getting Batman in every single set is just boring. I have every single DC set from 2006 until now (+ TLBM) and I'm overwhelmed from batmobiles, batboats, batwings and so on... Lego must do more location related and JL related sets to isert some "colors" in the theme... 

P.S. I hope the DC CMF will include atleast some new heroes/vilians. 

1 hour ago, Stormfury said:

Javelin 7 is one of my favorite sets, and I really would like to see more sets like it, but sadly as you said, everything we are geting lately is Batman relates sets. Don't get me wrong, I'm huge Batman fan, but getting Batman in every single set is just boring. I have every single DC set from 2006 until now (+ TLBM) and I'm overwhelmed from batmobiles, batboats, batwings and so on... Lego must do more location related and JL related sets to isert some "colors" in the theme... 

P.S. I hope the DC CMF will include atleast some new heroes/vilians. 

While I wholeheartedly agree, can we please get some appreciation for 76118? I have to say, it's my favourite Lego batman set since the original batcave in 2006. Maybe it's just me lol, but as soon as my local stores get it in I'm going to buy it. The minifigs are actually quite good, there's a decent, solid build(s) (I know it's just a bat vehicle but idk I have a soft spot for the Dark Knight trilogy and it reminds me of the Tumbler). Its also a decent price, knowing Lego. 

6 hours ago, TheBrickBuilder14 said:

Yea, according to leaks there wont be any 2020 sets in january, just the cmf.

That's a bit strange, considering the list of set numbers and the potential DC sets that stonewars posted!

I'm guessing we might see waves released a little later.

Also for those people constantly saying there seeing a drop in price for Batman sets, if you look closely at other sets within the stores, guess what they too have a discount! 

I do agree with most of you though, more playsets  would be nice as there are so many epic locations in the DC world. 

On a another note. Can't wait to see what the D2C set this year looks like. 

#Longlivethebat 

6 hours ago, BrickSantorum said:

Lego said a lot of things on that financial report...

It's been said a million times before, but like... Please stop with the constant insignificant vehicles. DC has a vast spectrum of interesting and beloved locations from the comics, and yet we are given stuff like Killer Frost buggies and Lex Luthor mech suits every year. Imagine how well a $100 - $200 range Hall of Justice or Watchtower might be received.

1 hour ago, RadioYeh said:

It's been said a million times before, but like... Please stop with the constant insignificant vehicles. DC has a vast spectrum of interesting and beloved locations from the comics, and yet we are given stuff like Killer Frost buggies and Lex Luthor mech suits every year. Imagine how well a $100 - $200 range Hall of Justice or Watchtower might be received.

Spot on!

So much potential!

1 hour ago, CoolDudeRadman said:

If only LEGO had people in these chats who would actually listen to fan consensus

I reckon there’s a chance Lego does read Eurobricks even if it is a little. I found a backdoor into Lego’s Bricks & Pieces Service when it was down and the next me it went down, they fixed the backdoor. Now they could’ve figured it out on their own, and even if they saw my post, that’s not the designers reading posts, that’s the IT guys reading our posts.

2 hours ago, CoolDudeRadman said:

If only LEGO had people in these chats who would actually listen to fan consensus

Never forget TLG’s core audience :wink: It sure is appreciated whenever they listen and cater to us adult fans, but children remain the most important clientele. If Batman vehicle sets sell better than location-based DC sets among kids (which I’m sure they do), then it really shouldn’t be surprising to see them producing more of the former rather than the latter :classic:

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Never forget TLG’s core audience :wink: It sure is appreciated whenever they listen and cater to us adult fans, but children remain the most important clientele. If Batman vehicle sets sell better than location-based DC sets among kids (which I’m sure they do), then it really shouldn’t be surprising to see them producing more of the former rather than the latter :classic:

But honestly they can't really know if vehicles sell better than locations in the DC theme, they've barely done any locations besides Arkham, the Batcave and Jokerland. I'm pretty sure sets like the Watchtower, Hall of Justice, Hall of Doom or the Daily Bugle will sell well

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I'm not saying that TLG must stop producing vehicles, but at least they can add 1 locatin set with each wave. Location sets can be used also from city builders :) 

11 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

But honestly they can't really know if vehicles sell better than locations in the DC theme, they've barely done any locations besides Arkham, the Batcave and Jokerland. I'm pretty sure sets like the Watchtower, Hall of Justice, Hall of Doom or the Daily Bugle will sell well

Plus those sets are among the best ones and they sell super well. The problem is the only other “location” sets they give us are random small banks. LEGO basically just chooses to do vehicles cuz it’s easier and you can basically use the same models just change a few things, colors and add new stickers.

15 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I think Lego's core audience for super hero sets is super hero fans regardless of age. I can't say it enough, but the stuff I like and appreciate now is the EXACT SAME stuff I liked when I was a kid. I'm just a lot more vocal about it now. I always remember watching SuperFriends as a kid (yes I'm that old) and just constantly getting annoyed at all the blatant errors, and just not understanding how you can write a show without ever having read the comics.

I 100% agree that Lego is having a very similar issue. They clearly have a ton of people making decisions who don't understand the brands. I think they'd do very well to come on here and read and maybe even answer a post or two.

The DC sets have been very lack luster for me, and if you want me to fork over a $200, yes, I need a hall of justice. You want me to get excited about minifigures, yes, give me some more of the Green Lantern Corp, or Kindgdom Come, or Golden Age Super Heroes or Justice League Dark or Swamp Thing, or more Teen Titans. Anything but the same stuff over and over again.

Lego can't keep selling more Batman sets and expect people to keep buying them.

I mean, historically though, they clearly have people over there who understand the comic lore. Sometimes they have made minifigures of obscure characters and variants I never even heard of, and I'm a massive DC fan. They just have a lot less freedom to branch out like that in the actual set itself.

Side note: I seriously wish that we could get one off sets based on one comic line or book. It's not like children are even aware that the sets are based on the current Rebirth or New 52. It would attract a vast audience if they were able to draw from specific comics.

DC gets a say into what gets released too as well.

Regarding no DC sets in January: this happens every 2 years. Marvel and DC take turns releasing in either January or March (or April in some cases). It’s DC’s turn to release in March next year. My friend reckons this might mean the DC CMF will be released in February to coincide with the March releases.

1 minute ago, The Pearson said:

Is FalconFan’s Instagram story hinting at Black Mask and Mad Hatter?

I'd hardly say so, he just asked if those two were obscure villains. Not everything he posts has to be a leak

4 hours ago, The Pearson said:

Is FalconFan’s Instagram story hinting at Black Mask and Mad Hatter?

Nope it is not. It was more a opinion question 

Just because theres no January wave this year besides the CMF doesn’t necessarily mean there’s trouble for the DC line. I mean, we’re getting Birds of Prey marketing soon, and this summer Wonder Woman 84 will be hitting theaters, so there is a possibility that Lego is just holding their set releases to strike when the iron is hot.

Keep in mind people are still going through withdrawal from Marvel, so perhaps Lego is planning to balance out the DCEU sets with the MCU this year since they seem to be one of the top sellers (or to be more specific, Avengers sets)

17 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Nope it is not. It was more a opinion question 

According to your latest IG story, many DC fans aren't gonna be happy with the upcoming CMS... :sceptic: