Hello again, my first real post. I shared these photos on Imgur on Sunday, but got no love there. One of the top comments suggested I share it here, hope you guys like what I did. 

42037-01.jpg

This is rainbow model number 1,  my son built it a little more than a year ago, which served as the inspiration for the others which followed. Many colours appeared only in a single set, like the blue and turquoise shock absorbers on the front, which came from a 2001 Bionicle set. 

42037-02.jpg

The back of the 42037. I did not want to change the original design and colour choices my son made, and left this one as is. This, and the models below are identical in parts and design to the official Lego models, the only difference is the colours of parts used.

42077-01.jpg

This is the first one I built, the 42077 Rally Car. I tried to keep as many different colours parts next to each other, but at some point it's unavoidable - sometimes I didn't have more colours while in others, Lego just does not make two adjacent parts in different colours. Sometimes, I just had to dismantle it so far back for it not to be worth the effort. 

42077-02.jpg

The Rally Car from the back. Looking at it now, it has a lot of green on the right hand side. I collect rare colours, like the green 20 tooth gear on the roof, which is the control for hand of god steering.

42063-01.jpg

This is a model of a BMW 1200GS Adventure, Lego model 42063. It was released last year as part of Lego's 40th Anniversary Technic models. I don't really like Technic motorcycles, partly because my obsessive compulsive nature will make me spend too much money to get all the historic Technic bikes. I bought this model for parts to build an anniversary edition of the 8860. 

42063-02.jpg

The back of the GS. Building it destroyed what was left of my 'colourful' parts inventory, and I'd rather focus on building Lego Great Ball Contraption modules now, so I had these photographed before recycling the parts.

8860-01.jpg

A rainbow version of the iconic Lego Technic model 8860, released in 1980. I wanted this model so badly as a young boy but for whatever reason, it wasn't meant to be. I bought a mint in box 8860 last year, and was like a 10-year old, 42-year old man all over again. 

Here is a 4k version of the photo above - https://www.localhost.org.za/rainbow-8860-4k-01.jpg

8860-02.jpg

The back of the 8860. I asked my friend, a professional photographer, to take some photos of the rainbow models as they're going to be dismantled for parts. As I ordered most of the parts used in this model specifically for it, I will keep this one as is for the foreseeable future.

I have some photos taken of my 8860 collection, I want to spend some time with the images in Photoshop and will do a similar post then. 

Edited by kraai
added url

Cool project, but I am now OCD about Lego colors, I could probably build a lot of sets too.

Truly a Technic-olor marvel.  The photographer was really good, he made them look almost like renders. Nice job.  If these were real Lego sets, can you imagine how hard it would be to sort the parts out prior to the build?

Haha, now this is sure different! I think I like the BMW bike best. The bright colors work together better than I would expect.

The rally car is still an ugly set though. Even for this recoloring it doesn't work because it has too many large panels. The patchwork of colors looks disturbing there, while it has a great effect on the bike and buggy.

What a fun Idea! Weirdly, they all look really nice (I didn't think they would before I saw them while waiting for the page to load) and like something I would like to have on display. 

Nice, those models make color vomit look good! :laugh:

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

The rally car is still an ugly set though.

Yeah, it seems like the original look of the sets still have an effect even when they're recolored like this. Makes me wonder what the Porsche or Bugatti would look like...

These are really cool! What a great idea. I think I like 42037 and 8860 best - they really pop in those bright colours.

Great work! I'm going to remember these as an idea for my son when he's older :)

Very entertaining and fun project!

This is also the direction TLG is heading! #colorvomit :laugh:

12 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Nice, those models make color vomit look good! :laugh:

Yeah, it seems like the original look of the sets still have an effect even when they're recolored like this. Makes me wonder what the Porsche or Bugatti would look like...

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I have so much to learn from this community. 

Great idea on the Porsche! I broke them apart for parts for GBC modules, but it could be an interesting project to build a rainbow Porsche.

I’ve seen a couple of community-made mods with instructions for it, even built one which fixed the gearbox issue but saw there are updated instructions. Is this one the most stable/ latest/ newest features? I’d prefer a static model rather than a motorised one- the way the boxer engine translates to technic is beautiful, I’d like to keep that details. Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Very entertaining and fun project!

This is also the direction TLG is heading! #colorvomit :laugh:

Thanks! I love this hashtag. 

21 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Wow, they look great! Must have been hard to get some of the rarer parts, like the green double bevel gear.

It’s fun to collect. Initially I wanted them just because I want them (is that just me?) It was actually my wife who reminded me that they’re no good sitting in a drawer, which prompted me to use rarer colours in mocs and gbc modules. I bought all the different colour gears to build a moving ‘thing’ to display... doesn’t have to server a purpose, just a clockwork of cogs. Still want to do that sometime. 

11 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Well, it is Pride Month! Nice way to celebrate. :laugh:

Just quoting to ask how I sign up to Sticker Haters’ Association? Last stickers applied on 42009 in 2013, so close on five years clean. 

The BMW bike looks really good. I did not know lego did blue and green springs.

H

2 hours ago, kraai said:

Initially I wanted them just because I want them (is that just me?)

Not just you! I pretty much do that whenever I have the chance. I try to use my rarer parts on models, but sometimes I can’t find the right place for a purple cross block :laugh:

Nicely done.  It is kind of like that last century's VW Golf model with the multi-color panels.

these cheered me up , they look great :thumbup:

they remind me of being a kid again when everything is awesome.

thanks for posting them here. they are well received, which is strange considering the talk on colour vomit recently... so too much of a bad thing, is a good thing! 

Great idea and well executed. I recognise your obsessive compulsive nature. You are not alone! ;-) Although I have a weak spot for the old style Lego Technic, I think the BMW is the model in this series I like best.

12 hours ago, kraai said:

Just quoting to ask how I sign up to Sticker Haters’ Association? Last stickers applied on 42009 in 2013, so close on five years clean. 

No formal registration required. You just have to believe. :laugh: For the record, you can be a member and still apply stickers - I do, by the way - you just have to not like doing it. :grin:

These remind me of LDD developer model renders when you turn on the function which colors each brick with a different color.

I really like these, they are an ultimate expression of Lego color vomit...  in a good way that is :laugh:

To be honest I become eye iritation and headachse when I see such colors combinaton on moc... ?

Positive thing is that you have some parts in rare color ?