ScotNick

BBÖ ET10 / ÖBB 4041 railcar

Hi everyone!

Been some time since I last posted a new engine!

This time it's a BBÖ ET10 /ÖBB 4041 railcar

41025105060_70e38faacd_b.jpgBBÖ ET 10/ ÖBB 4041 electric railcar by ScotNick1, on Flickr

While this is not the first Austrian engine I started building, it't the first that actually got finished. But as with all of my engines, this one sat on the shelf 90% finished for more than a year!
I designed the engine in 2015, and even though I made several changes, the engine's look didn't change very much.

Some notable details about the model:

• I built the bogies upside down - this was due to a redesign of the wheel frames, but it has much better running characteristics now
  • At first the railcar was fitted with Lego's wheels, but I swapped them with BBB small wheels which proved much better (even though they have no rubber rings)
  • I made use of some old and newly produced parts for the pantograph - I haven't seen someone use these parts/technique before so I'm really proud of it, even more so as it is 100% puristic
  • I really wanted to keep the look of the steep sloped roof true to the original
  • I know the front lights are too huge, but there is no better part and it's a distinct design feature of the real thing

Some details about the railcar:

8 railcars of this kind were built in 1928 in dark green livery for the Federal Railway of Austria (BBÖ) classified as ET 10 (ET - Elektro Triebwagen, meaning electric railcar).  After WWII they were incorporated in the new Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) and reclassified to 4041. At some point they got a dark blue and tan livery, which is represented by this model. They were in service until 1973 and and seem to have been quite reliable (at least I didn't find any source stating otherwise)

Now to some more pictures:

41934767825_7f2dac69c8_b.jpgBBÖ ET 10/ ÖBB 4041 electric railcar by ScotNick1, on Flickr

42835795511_cc306c1cfe_b.jpgBBÖ ET 10/ ÖBB 4041 electric railcar by ScotNick1, on Flickr

27966997417_9caca46563_b.jpgBBÖ ET 10 - side by ScotNick1, on Flickr

42118025754_f6cbfde524_b.jpgBBÖ ET 10/ ÖBB 4041 electric railcar by ScotNick1, on Flickr

41934767825_7f2dac69c8_b.jpgBBÖ ET 10/ ÖBB 4041 electric railcar by ScotNick1, on Flickr

I also made a video, I'm sorry that it's so blurry. You might see that she stops at a specific point - the gradient there is too steep so it's not the engine's fault.

41212958060_a23726f460_b.jpgÖBB 4041 test drive by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Hope you like the model.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by ScotNick

A magnificent model! :thumbup:
Lots of stunning details. The electrical equipment on the roof is outstanding, and so are the bogies.

The only objection that crossed my mind: Shouldn't the buffers protrude beyond the headlights? Otherwise, shunting might result in a lot of broken glass... :wink:

Edited by Tenderlok
corrected typing error

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This is a gorgeous MOC! :thumbup:

You've done a great work ...I really like the bogies and the front lights :wub:

1 hour ago, Tenderlok said:

A magnificent model! :thumbup:
Lots of stunning details. The electrical equipment on the roof is outstanding, amd so are the bogies.

The only objection that crossed my mind: Shouldn't the buffers protrude beyond the headlights? Otherwise, shunting might result in a lot of broken glass... :wink:

Thanks guys!

Well, when I came up with the design I wanted to have those distinctive lights like the real life counterpart - and I found a part that almost did them too much justice! So no, the buffers aren't too short, but yes, the lights protrude too much :laugh:

But no worries about the broken glass, the lights are built super strong so the buffers are needless - the railcar only needs the lights for shunting :wink:

Edited by ScotNick
Correction

This is a stunning, great looking design. The details, colours and proportions are all spot on as far as I'm concerned. All of your trains are so good that at first glance it's not always obvious that they're made from lego. :classic:

Wow, this is gorgeous! 

On 6/26/2018 at 12:06 PM, ScotNick said:

I made use of some old and newly produced parts for the pantograph - I haven't seen someone use these parts/technique before so I'm really proud of it, even more so as it is 100% puristic

I'm very interested in this pantograph, it looks like the parts are much more common, whereas my current design uses 16 Minifig pirate hooks each, which are getting expensive...

15 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Wow. This is looking really good.

It is a nice and clever design overall. Great work on the details, especially the bogies.

11 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

This is a stunning, great looking design. The details, colours and proportions are all spot on as far as I'm concerned. All of your trains are so good that at first glance it's not always obvious that they're made from lego. :classic:

Thanks guys!

@Bricked1980 funnily the railcar will be on display together with a traction engine nearly identical to your ideas project, only at a smaller scale :)

@CrispyBassist Hahaha, yes I know the design with the pirate hooks! I think at some point I actually wanted to build it like that, but when the bar with clip became available in red this was ideal! I think it's clear which parts I used or do you need a better picture?

From now on the railcar will be on display during the summer at the Vienna SCS Lego store

29167707148_003a5e25ce_b.jpgNow also on display by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Great railcar you've but together. I like the use of that odd huge hinge (is it classified as hinge?) brick for the lights, the roof and the paragraph of course.

The diorama in the LEGO store brings life into the scene ... well done! 

Holger

Edited by HoMa

21 hours ago, ScotNick said:

funnily the railcar will be on display together with a traction engine nearly identical to your ideas project, only at a smaller scale :)

Looking at the colour schemes I think we both must have been channeling Trevor the Traction Engine when designing these models. :sweet: That whole mini display you've put together for the Lego store is great. Your traction engine and the taxi look very good as well the railcar. Can mini figs be placed inside these models?

Edited by Bricked1980

On 6/27/2018 at 6:05 PM, ScotNick said:

I think it's clear which parts I used or do you need a better picture?

Yup! Pretty sure I can tell them all. Seriously, great job there.

A lovely model only to be shown with two more lovely creations ... Any chance for a link to the tractor and taxi?

On 6/28/2018 at 7:37 AM, HoMa said:

Great railcar you've but together. I like the use of that odd huge hinge (is it classified as hinge?) brick for the lights, the roof and the paragraph of course.

The diorama in the LEGO store brings life into the scene ... well done! 

Holger

On 6/30/2018 at 2:28 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Oh wow, what a thing of beauty! Excellent work

On 6/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Excellent work. You have built a well detailed railcar. Congrats on the display in Wien.

Thanks guys! :innocent2:

On 6/28/2018 at 3:58 PM, Bricked1980 said:

Looking at the colour schemes I think we both must have been channeling Trevor the Traction Engine when designing these models. :sweet: That whole mini display you've put together for the Lego store is great. Your traction engine and the taxi look very good as well the railcar. Can mini figs be placed inside these models?

Haha, you aren't 100% wrong but you aren't totally right too. I did think of Trevor but based my model on Trevor's prototype. So it's officially based on the Fiery Elias but can be used to portray Trevor too :grin:

You can't place a minifig in the Taxi, but for the display I placed a minifig head in the taxi :laugh:
Trevor has enough space for a minifig to sit on, just couldn't find it before I brought the models to the Lego store. Here's a pic of it:

24853348867_03bf9330f6_z.jpgFiery Elias - William Foster Traction Engine by ScotNick1, on Flickr

On 7/1/2018 at 7:40 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

A lovely model only to be shown with two more lovely creations ... Any chance for a link to the tractor and taxi?

Thanks! I actually haven't posted the Taxi itself somewhere as it's a modified design of this car: 

Spoiler

4277549725_62ae9beec4_z.jpg?zz=1Private Transport by Tim Gould, on Flickr

This is the best pic I have of it:

34111091504_deac284fb3_z.jpgMore wip by ScotNick1, on Flickr

The traction engine's album can be viewed here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmdG2WvR

Edited by ScotNick

3 hours ago, ScotNick said:

Haha, you aren't 100% wrong but you aren't totally right too. I did think of Trevor but based my model on Trevor's prototype. So it's officially based on the Fiery Elias but can be used to portray Trevor too :grin:

Here's a little image I created whilst designing my Traction Engine. :grin:

Spoiler

41381346870_4219bcec47_z_d.jpg

11 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Here's a little image I created whilst designing my Traction Engine. :grin:

Hide contents

41381346870_4219bcec47_z_d.jpg

Haha, nice one :)

Hey everyone!

Didn't want to create a new thread for this, but I tried my hands on a new "working" overhead line with the relatively new part 27965.

Here's a video of the topic's railcar, proofing the concept idea

46435851972_efe93df342_z.jpg"working" overhead line by ScotNick1, on Flickr

The part's material is different from normal Lego, much softer. So it's easily bendable for curves and works well with the relatively sturdy pantograph design. At first I was worried about the distance between the masts being too short, so I made a middle section (even looking a bit prototypical) to connect two sections together.

Edited by ScotNick