coaster

BrickTracks: R104 Switch Kickstarter is LIVE!

If the goal is not reached...then the money is never touched.  That is correct.

Anyone waiting until later to make a pledge and support this...it’s kind of ‘later’ now. 

Im glad Kickstarter doesn't have a 'flexible funding' option like some other crowd funding platforms, but in this instance it'd be comfortable with it. Coaster seems more than committed to producing these track pieces and I assume if the kickstarter doesn't reach its goal it'll only delay the project, not stop it. If the goal isn't reached id be happy to preorder the switches from brick tracks and help the project that way.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, JayDee96 said:

Im glad Kickstarter doesn't have a 'flexible funding' option like some other crowd funding platforms, but in this instance it'd be comfortable with it. Coaster seems more than committed to producing these track pieces and I assume if the kickstarter doesn't reach its goal it'll only delay the project, not stop it. If the goal isn't reached id be happy to preorder the switches from brick tracks and help the project that way.

I feel the same. I am in for 4 of each on kickstarter and would happily pre-order and wait to get them.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, coaster said:

If this doesn't happen, I am working on a Plan B. 

This is great news!! I pledged ~1% of the total target, but sadly can afford/justify no more.

Unfortunately, I think these 3D-printed offerings from TrixBrix: https://www.trixbrix.eu/en_US/c/Switches-Crossovers-R104/34 will have a tendency to dilute any uptake on your superior injection-moulded parts.

6 hours ago, wes_turngrate said:

This is great news!! I pledged ~1% of the total target, but sadly can afford/justify no more.

Unfortunately, I think these 3D-printed offerings from TrixBrix: https://www.trixbrix.eu/en_US/c/Switches-Crossovers-R104/34 will have a tendency to dilute any uptake on your superior injection-moulded parts.

Yeah, amazing coincidence they released those a week after we announced the Kickstarter...

As I've been very impressed with the quality of BrickTracks parts, I'd be happy to pre-order or otherwise help fund the production of these switches by alternate means as well -- but let's see if the Kickstarter will pull through. :) 

17 hours ago, coaster said:
On 8/8/2018 at 7:00 AM, wes_turngrate said:

Yeah, amazing coincidence they released those a week after we announced the Kickstarter...

Not the first time this has happened either, they also have several amazing coincidences from 4DBrix...

Edited by pirzyk

I have no use for plastic only track, but I really want this to work out I can see the effort that has gone into this and am sure it will work out, just added a few dollars to help the cause, hope it gets funded

Edited by kieran

24 minutes ago, kieran said:

I have no use for plastic only track, but I really want this to work out I can see the effort that has gone into this and am sure it will work out, just added a few dollars to help the cause, hope it gets funded

Appreciated kieran!  Plastic tracks are just a stepping stone to 9V.  As I'm all 9V myself, I can't even use my own tracks.

As a 9V (DCC) user, I have no use of plastic only tracks. I have no use either of such big points. I do print my own tracks. The quality is quite good as long as printing resolution is high (not the choice of Trix/4D &Co), a bit less shiny than Lego ones. However, 3D printed have weaknesses under stress molded pieces don't have. 3D printing is good for prototypes or very short series. I'm not fan of PDQ 3D printed tracks sold here and there. It seems they just want to make money. I have been a happy customer of BBBricks and could not imagine I would be so disappointed by Me Models products (odd metal tracks and badly-designed plastic tracks). BrickTracks products seem to raise the level and I hope they will succeed as far as possible. That's why I support it for 2 left and 2 right points. I think our hobby need it.

I'm backer 99 for eight each of left & right switches, though I fear I am "too little, too late".  But I'm in whether the Kickstarter succeeds or not - just let me know what the alternate means to purchase/preorder these would be, should the Kickstarter fail.  I am hoping for the best, and poking my LUG forum to try and help the cause! 

Plan B is already in the works, and is looking more and more likely to become Plan A.  Suffice to say, it's not dead yet.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, coaster said:

Plan B is already in the works, and is looking more and more likely to become Plan A.  Suffice to say, it's not dead yet.

Not dead yet or rise from the ashes :)  Didn't this happen with the R104/120 curves?  

39 minutes ago, pirzyk said:

Not dead yet or rise from the ashes :)  Didn't this happen with the R104/120 curves?  

Yep, exact same thing happened with the curves.  In fact, we got further with this Kickstarter than we did with the curve one. 

Well now that its officially done. I would like to say that I am ready to still give my money to BrickTracks for these things. Where do I sign? hahaha. Cant wait to see what the new plan A is!

3 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

Well now that its officially done. I would like to say that I am ready to still give my money to BrickTracks for these things. Where do I sign? hahaha. Cant wait to see what the new plan A is!

Quite agree. "Meet Plan B, the new Plan A". Or something like that. Sure as hell looking forward to whatever Scott has up his sleeve!

A little disappointed with the lack of commitment to this Kickstarter TBH, but there's no use wishing for what isn't. I guess it just goes to indicate how few really-committed (and perhaps a little nuts and well-heeled too!) train fans there are out there.

10 minutes ago, wes_turngrate said:

Quite agree. "Meet Plan B, the new Plan A". Or something like that. Sure as hell looking forward to whatever Scott has up his sleeve!

A little disappointed with the lack of commitment to this Kickstarter TBH, but there's no use wishing for what isn't. I guess it just goes to indicate how few really-committed (and perhaps a little nuts and well-heeled too!) train fans there are out there.

I think that a big problem is that most AFOLs are divided into 9V vs PF and these being only PF hurt it. But really 9V die hards are going to have to give in eventually. 

It's a little sad we didn't make it, but I'm not totally surprised.  $100k on a Kickstarter was certainly an ambitious goal.  But there were certainly some positives from it.  First, there were over 100 people willing to take a chance on it, and saw there is at least $40k worth of interest in it.  Second, it brought a lot of attention and interest from potential suppliers.  There definitely was a lot of spam, but there was some good stuff there too. 

Just now, wes_turngrate said:

I'm not too discouraged.  It's a big ask for people to take a risk on a Kickstarter project.  It's much easier to buy when the development is finished.  And as Cameron mentioned, there's a lot of 9Vers out there.

4 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

I think that a big problem is that most AFOLs are divided into 9V vs PF and these being only PF hurt it. But really 9V die hards are going to have to give in eventually. 

You'll never take us 9Vers alive!  This Kickstarter helped bring more attention to the 9V vs. PF debate for sure.  Powered Up is also making a mess of things on that front, but I still maintain our future lies is in a 9V/PF hybrid type system, with metal track and power pick-up wheels.

27 minutes ago, coaster said:

You'll never take us 9Vers alive!  This Kickstarter helped bring more attention to the 9V vs. PF debate for sure.  Powered Up is also making a mess of things on that front, but I still maintain our future lies is in a 9V/PF hybrid type system, with metal track and power pick-up wheels.

I would love that too. Especially with products like the PFx Brick and S-brick where there is bluetooth control for trains and its IMO a better system than DCC. At least for the LEGO world of modeling. 

I would back a Kickstarter for the power pickup wheels and the move to hybrid. Can the pickup wheels be used to charge a LiPo battery via 9V straights that allows the train motor to work during the PF curves - R56/104/120 and R104 switches.