Modeltrainman

Toy Story 2019

I really like the looks of the minifigures. I am all for regular minifigure heads. Woody, Buzz and Jessie all look great. It’s nice to see Rex return, as well. The carnival looks like a fun set, the RV park set isn’t great, I might just have to Bricklink Jessie (I already have Rex). The new RC is nowhere the quality of the 2010 version, but the microfigure Green Army Men are neat. Not a bad line, especially for 4+ sets.

I really like the new minifigs, although Buzz is a downgrade from the CMF. I'm also glad they brought back the army men as nanofigs, although printing on them would've been nice.

As for the sets themselves, nothing too special. 2010 RC was far superior to this one.

Also, keep in mind that there are still 2 unrevealed sets, so we could still see Hamm and Bullseye.

I actually really like that RC! It's scaled pretty well for a minifig, and the army men are a pleasant surprise. I'm noticing that the more sets I accumulate, the more I seem to appreciate small builds... ?

Wow. These are sad, strange little sets and they have my pity. :sceptic:

As a huge fan of the original theme, these seem like a far cry from what has come before. Woody and Jesse look so off with those heads and short limbs. At least Bo Peep looks good, but I'm afraid she will look too short next to the old Woody and Jesse. :sadnew: As for the builds, I already had low expectations with these being 4+ sets, but damn... I mean, just look at that "roller coaster"! It doesn't even come with any exclusive figs, so that's a hard pass. The only set that looks decent is the RC one as it's the only one that's properly scaled and doesn't look too junior-ized, plus those tiny army men are cool, even though it's disappointing that they aren't printed. I will probably only get that one and the carnival set since the latter has all the new figs except for Jesse and Forky and I will probably just bricklink those.

I am a sad space ranger now... :sadnew:

The smallest set is cute, I’m sure it’ll be popular. The RC build isn’t as good as before, but that doesn’t matter to me because I won’t be buying this one. The army men have no reason to not have any printing, aren’t Juniors sets known for being good with printing?

I don’t care about trains at all, so the roller coaster set with its uninteresting build and no exclusive figs is an absolute pass.

Caravan set looks nice. I don’t need any of the builds in my collection, but Jessie, Rex and Forky are all desirable. It’s a real shame the LGM are also not as detailed as their CMF versions.

And as for the carnival builds, none of them impress me. All I care about for this theme are the figures, like plenty of other people.

Let’s hope the other two sets are reasonably priced and come with Hamm. 

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Has anyone noticed that Rex actually received a slight update? He's got additional printing for the "eyebrows" :laugh:

Looks like TLG spared no expense when they made this dinosaur.

As a massive toy story fan,these sets are extremely disappointing the minifigs look awful compared to the ones from 9! Years ago! Woody doesn’t have printed arms and while it’s nice he has duel molded legs,the old woody actually had printing to look like cowboy boots. The buzz is a downgrade from both the 2010 and 2016 versions. The alien is very inaccurate why are his eyes no longer soild black???? And they ditched the printed shoes,bunny looks good but still worse then lotso from TS3 sets, Bo Peep looks good but I don’t think it’ll fit with any of the other minifigures from 2010, the green army men are a massive downgrade from 2010 even if more size accurate. Also what is the reasoning for dumping the molded heads and long legs and arms? They can clearly bring back old molds as proven by Rex,the alien,and buzz. Overall very disappointing only thing that gives me hope is that we still have a couple more sets to be revealed.

It's a mixed wave. I know there's still another few to come but from what we've seen so far there's nothing I would single out as really good or a day one purchase. RC is scaled a lot better and I like some of the theme park elements, although it's a shame the roller coaster doesn't have any dips or slopes to make it even a little more interesting. 

One thing I liked about the original wave was the way LEGO handled scale in the sets. Builds like the Pizza Planet truck and the Garbage truck weren't massive, but they were larger than minifigure scale to help convey the fact these were toys running around in Human vehicles. Yet here you don't get that same feeling. Might be nitpicking for 4+ sets but that's my thoughts.

2 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Sigh, so no printing for the army men? And the *eyebrows* on Rex just look weird, almost like eyelashes 

They do!

*oh2*

5 hours ago, Tariq j said:

One thing I liked about the original wave was the way LEGO handled scale in the sets. Builds like the Pizza Planet truck and the Garbage truck weren't massive, but they were larger than minifigure scale to help convey the fact these were toys running around in Human vehicles.

Well put, and I totally agree with you. LEGO struck an excellent size balance with the original sets. The only exception to the sizing scheme was the army men battle pack, but that was still awesome on its own. These, on the other hand, are scaled for Minifigures, so it's like the toys are full sized people within the context of the sets.

As far the minifigs go, these only seem good as parts fodder to make custom figs or to make cosplayers/employees dressed as the characters in a Disney park. The customiser in me would be happy about that, but I doubt I'll pick up any of these sets just to get some minifigs pieces. As representations of the actual characters, Woody and Jesse especially just seem off.

The crappiness of the sets themselves can't be surprising given the 4+ branding, but it's a real shame that LEGO is making this move to take whole themes into the late 90s/early 00s Town Jr era. I thought the point of 4+ was to give younger kids a small taste of what LEGO recommends they don't get into until they're 6, not to make whole lines of crappy builds with large pieces for too much money. Is the pool of 4-year-olds really so lucrative that Toy Story-loving kids who are just a little older (not to to mention AFOLs) have to suffer these?

14 hours ago, Oky said:

Looks like TLG spared no expense when they made this dinosaur.

They took the budget reserved for Dino and used to give Rex a makeover. :wink:

As yet, I am undecided on these sets. The previous wave brought me out of the dark ages. I need to wait for better photos and in-hand reviews to decide

Edited by sunhuntin

14 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

The crappiness of the sets themselves can't be surprising given the 4+ branding, but it's a real shame that LEGO is making this move to take whole themes into the late 90s/early 00s Town Jr era. I thought the point of 4+ was to give younger kids a small taste of what LEGO recommends they don't get into until they're 6, not to make whole lines of crappy builds with large pieces for too much money. Is the pool of 4-year-olds really so lucrative that Toy Story-loving kids who are just a little older (not to to mention AFOLs) have to suffer these?

I agree, especially when it comes to Toy Story. The original movie came out almost 25 years ago, and the Lego sets came out 9 years ago, so they're missing out on all those years of Toy Story fans. The original sets were great and still hold up today, but these are so lackluster and I'm only getting them for the new Woody and Jessie minifigs. I think Lego's missing out on a lot of money by limiting the non-Princess Disney sets to 4+ only.

42 minutes ago, ItamatTheGreat said:

So does it come in another set or maybe in the disney cmf?

There are still 2 unrevealed Toy Story sets, so most likely there. I can't imagine a new character nobody really knows would go into the CMF, especially when the CMF is expected to be released before the movie.

MY GOD ALMIGHTY Slappy the evil ventriloquist dummy from Goosebumps is there!!!

Do you he will be release in  LEGO form???

51588788_306734669990780_1983192279668885211_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

Image result for slappy doll

4 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

MY GOD ALMIGHTY Slappy the evil ventriloquist dummy from Goosebumps is there!!!

Do you he will be release in  LEGO form???

I hope so, he looks way more interesting than the other new characters, villain material if you ask me. Besides the head would be useful to make DC's Ventriloquist and Scarface (well kinda, more useful at least than anything we got so far.)

6 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

The character with the yellow dress that has shown up on IG and confused everyone is from Toy Story 4:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SophieAthawes/status/1093130360135794688

The minifig matches the silhouette in the bottom right perfectly :sweet:

Irrespective of the character, the figure itself is pretty nice in terms of parts and as a whole. :thumbup: :classic:

7 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Irrespective of the character, the figure itself is pretty nice in terms of parts and as a whole. :thumbup: :classic:

I agree! That is a gorgeous wig, and I might use that head to upgrade my Maisie Lockwood. (It always bothered me that they just printed the City 'happy/sad child' face onto flesh.) It's a cute dress, too; I could see it having some use. 

As for the sets, a lot of them are disappointing for what they are. I'll get the 'rollercoaster' one, but not because I like it; I just need those purple track curve parts for a MOC. The rest are easy passes for me . . except maybe RC/Woody. 

I'll wait to judge the figs until I have them in person, but I think it's good that they're making them proper minifigures. More variety. 

Here's hoping that the two as-yet unrevealed sets impress me. I remember hearing something about a 'Duke Caboom' which is noticeably absent from the line . .