Sign in to follow this  
BrickbyBrickTechnic

[MOC] Heavy Drill Rig- 42055 C model- INSTRUCTIONS

Hey everyone, 

Presenting my latest MOC: the 42055 C model, heavy drill rig.

The model has 5 power functions: drill rotation, superstructure rotation, drive, drill lowering, and boom pitch adjustment. They all work fairly well.

The boom is about 60cm high and the range of the drill is about 50cm downward. It can keep spinning while lowering and in any position. 

I did have a goal in mind for the chassis: to give it some ground clearance. That was a success; the chassis has 4 studs of clearance and is still very durable.

Anyways, here's the video and some pictures:

And now some pictures:

2018-06-25-06-08-022018-06-25-06-03-572018-06-25-06-09-38

This thing was impossible to photograph in full.

2018-06-25-06-14-37

That's it for now. Thanks for reading!

Leave a comment!

BbBT

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

It is more like c not C model :)

But nice model.

You are right :) Thanks a lot.

4 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

It's okay.. But for a C model to the 42055, it's quite nice. 

Thanks! What do you think would make it better? I would be happy to implement some improvements.

3 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

This is the best C-model I have ever seen! Nice work :thumbup:

Thanks very much :classic:

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Pretty nice. The cabin is good too.

Thank you! I'm glad you like the cabin. It went through many iterations.

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

I agree very nice C model.

Very nice c-model! It captures the essence of the rotary drill rig. The functions are very simplified compared to an actual rig, but this is lego, and with the "limited" inventory of this set it's actually pretty good.

I've been working myself on rotary drill rig for the last 8 years! and still not even close to be completed yet.

Kudos for modeling this kind of equipment! 

3 hours ago, Countdown said:

Very nice c-model! It captures the essence of the rotary drill rig. The functions are very simplified compared to an actual rig, but this is lego, and with the "limited" inventory of this set it's actually pretty good.

I've been working myself on rotary drill rig for the last 8 years! and still not even close to be completed yet.

Kudos for modeling this kind of equipment! 

Thanks very much! I agree that the functions are simplified. I watched some video of a Bauer rig (can't remember the model, sorry) and there was an interesting dual-winch system which I couldn't really figure out, so I went with the simple system. Given the chance to take another stab at this vehicle, I will look more into the intricacies :wink: . Do post your rig here once it's done! 8 years sounds like quite the while. 

2 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

Very creative C model...well done!!

Thank you!

17 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Thanks! What do you think would make it better? I would be happy to implement some improvements.

I mean, it's good as a C model. You did an A+ on it. 

But as a heavy drilling rig, it's just as realistic as the original 42055. 

Here's what a real drilling rig looks like in real life:
AT9803_6_01.JPG

I've seen one in action in real life. (Job was to drill holes for explosives.)

It is a very beautiful C model. I am very impressed with the number of functions achieved on a single motor.  Congratulations on a very impressive outcome. 

4 hours ago, gvo25 said:

I think BrickbyBrickTechnic was going more for this option/model of a heavy drilling rig:

That would be correct. The model I was using for inspiration was the Bauer BG50.

4 hours ago, rathodsandeep said:

It is a very beautiful C model. I am very impressed with the number of functions achieved on a single motor.  Congratulations on a very impressive outcome. 

Thank you very much! Theoretically, the most functions I could get with the 1 motor is 8 (4 grey rings), but that's a goal for another model :wink:

1 hour ago, mattthewise said:

It's very nicely done! I'd love to try building this myself, do you think you might publish build photos/instructions sometime?

Thank you! I will post photo sequence instructions in the coming weeks.

this model looks great, thank you for sharing the instructions.

right outside my balcony there are two BG40's and a BG 36 I am so intrigued with those machines. I have been watching them every day in detail on how they operate and how they work. I just bought this set after seeing this and will be building your model with improvements and realism. unfortunate that this wont start till I go back to canada as I shipped the set to my house there and I am currently living in Dubai till August. 

1 hour ago, Sammi said:

this model looks great, thank you for sharing the instructions.

right outside my balcony there are two BG40's and a BG 36 I am so intrigued with those machines. I have been watching them every day in detail on how they operate and how they work. I just bought this set after seeing this and will be building your model with improvements and realism. unfortunate that this wont start till I go back to canada as I shipped the set to my house there and I am currently living in Dubai till August. 

Thank you! I really hope you post pictures of your improvements- I'm eager to see them :classic: