Sign in to follow this  
meepinater

Best way to make small quantity reusable decal designs

Long title, i know. 

Anyways, i was wondering if anybody has any tips on how to easily make reusable decals with good detail and easy to print or whatever else you need to to. I have quite a small budget, so a uv printer is out of the running for the time being. I love decals and customs, i just need a more efficient way to make decals. 

Well, if it would be easy everyone would do it. I use solvent ink. You could use static material like BrickStix, but I don't have good experience with that.

2 hours ago, JopieK said:

Well, if it would be easy everyone would do it. I use solvent ink. You could use static material like BrickStix, but I don't have good experience with that.

fair point. I'n not worried about the ink, i need a way to design them! I can do it on my graphic designing app, but that takes a long time, especially for those complicated decals. is ther some way that there is a free decal designer or something?

*there

Design app? Illustrator / Vectorscribe, that is what I use. Some people use Corel Draw, I did too but that was back in the nineties. Of course it takes a long time, there is no free lunch, so does making great LEGO builds. That is part of the fun, for me at least. Some people lay jigsaw puzzles or solve sudoku's, I do sticker / LEGO / electronics / software design to enjoy myself.

yeah, just finished a decal. it does take a while, and mine isn't even that detailed. I just use the paint app on my laptop, and it works fine, it's not hard for me to transport the picture to google docs and then scale it correctly. I just wish there was like a free decal generator or something that would take your image and put it on a minifigure. might take some work though, there'd be a lot of bugs to work out. 

Something else to consider is that what looks good on the screen might not look good at all once shrunk and placed onto a torso. Some people put way too much detail into a design then it looks very un-lego like once shrunk down to minifigure scale.

15 hours ago, MAB said:

Something else to consider is that what looks good on the screen might not look good at all once shrunk and placed onto a torso. Some people put way too much detail into a design then it looks very un-lego like once shrunk down to minifigure scale.

yeah. one way to fix that is to make the details with thicker lines and darker colors. I made a german torso, and i did some lines on the ammo puches... too thin. now i am doing another torso, and i made the lines thicker. should work! :)