Ross Fisher

[OL - FB] Altar of Cthonic Hades, Fatu Hiva

28101716627_235561f9cf_c.jpg

Altar of Cthonic Hades by Ross Fisher, on Flickr

Your eminences,

As we discussed prior to my departure, I have found that it would be beneficial to send a 'message of intent' to the people of New Terra. As such, I have commissioned the building of a new Altar of Cthonic Hades in the town of Fatu Hiva. I would have liked to build it in marble, but the cost of shipping it here would have been prohibitive. Instead I have been forced to use the local stone, which is passable. The icon is forged from an old spiked cannon, and displays a likeness of the Underlord based upon the icon I brought with me for personal prayer.

I had expected to meet more resistance to this project, but the town has seen (and caused) so much death recently that few people voiced any displeasure, and none were willing to obstruct the project. A bowl for offerings has been placed in front of the statue, which should generate some initial funds for the project here. I consecrated the monument with a sacrifice of half a dozen pigs. In time, the gods may see other, larger sacrifices here, and understand our humility.

Your humble servant,

François

Well this was fun. This is my first construction freebuild. It is a small arts and culture building. It's based on other historical altars. These originally started out as just a rocky platform where you could kill an animal. Once you've killed one there, you might as well kill them all in the same place. Keep the blood contained. Doing all the butchery there also makes sense. And then if you're giving a cut to the gods, you'd leave it there. Can't be taking food from the gods. If you were really grateful you'd burn the whole animal to a crisp and leave it there as a holocaust. Eventually, these places got built up and built up with the ashes and bones of dead animals. And then you start getting extra ornamentation, like on the Ara Pacis in Rome, and what started out as just a platform becomes a massive structure, with steps and columns and everything.

As our boy François is a priest of Hades, and Fatu Hiva is the start of his journey, and it has seen a lot of death recently, this build seemed like a nice fit for my free small building.

Hope you like.

Ross

A great first build! The most eyecatching aspect is obviously the statue itself. I had never thought of Hades this way but now that I see it, it makes perfect sense. Overall, I think you've done a very good job of making this small and potentially simple build interesting thanks to the arches, pillars and different "levels" (for lack of a better word)!

I spy some thing on the backside of the shrine, could we possibly get another picture?

Edited by Flavius Gratian

Very good build! Fascinating story too. I like the stair on the second picture.

15 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I would have liked to build it in marble, but the cost of shipping it here would have been prohibitive

Excellent build and story! The above sentence really brings the narration and the immersion to the next level!

Poor pig though... :cry_sad: Have I said again how much I love TLG animals??? At least we use pigs unlike those blasted Corries that kill horses and make them sausages!

Edited by blackdeathgr

Great build, and excellent story! Very fitting for Oleon in general and your character in particular. Well done! :thumbup:

@blackdeathgr Thanks. I thought even building in stone might be a bit of a rush. He's only been there a few days!

@Drunknok Thanks. It was only after I posted this that I realised I don't know whether it fits the religion or not. I did ancient history, so i was basing my build off stuff I know, rather than how religion was in the real age of sail. Glad you guys liked it!

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

It was only after I posted this that I realised I don't know whether it fits the religion or not. I did ancient history, so i was basing my build off stuff I know, rather than how religion was in the real age of sail.

Well, no need to know anything about the religion in the real age of sail, rather than more or less be in line with Oleon' s religion, something that you do right now with absolute success :tongue:. For more on Oleon' s religion and a source of inspiration you can read here

Also, bear in mind that when we first landed in these new territories, many accused us (and Hades priests in particular) of atrocities against the natives, something that holds little truth and was never proven. Furthermore, there are sightings of Hades priests in various islands but they are so secretive that none knows their actual business at the moment. Heathens tremble!! :devil: And finally, this Era (among other things) is the Era of fleshing out Oleon' s Faith so your sigfig and stories, helps us greatly toward this cause. For further info, current status etc, feel free to ask at our Estates private pm or contact directly @Captain Genaro , @Bodi and @Phred

Edited by blackdeathgr

@blackdeathgr Thanks! As I said in my own thread, I'm very keen to get building appropriate builds, so if there's anywhere I should be particularly focussing my efforts, please let me know - particularly if there are any funds available. I'd like to get up to speed asap.

Anytime. I forwarded your question to our Estates General pm channel where we usually handle such things of progression in a general direction but feel free to absolutely do anything you like. I for once, get inspiration when I read about Oleon story or by reading the descriptions of Oleon territories of the New World (you can find them here). The good part is that BoBS has traveled quite some miles from its creation so you can find many many stories lying around to be continued or even create some of your own. The best spot to be in order to hear a good story is always a settlement's tavern :grin:. Oh, pardon me, austere Hades priests don't drink publicly :tongue: (surely a lackey can do the trick)

Edited by blackdeathgr

3 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

Oh, pardon me, austere Hades priests don't drink publicly :tongue: (surely a lackey can do the trick)

This sounds like a job for Merde the Murderer! He's a bit of a Bronn of Blackwater character. Only trouble is, he might get a bit carried away with the drinking...

9 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Merde the Murderer! He's a bit of a Bronn of Blackwater character. Only trouble is, he might get a bit carried away with the drinking...

Oh, the examples kids have these days... sigh! :laugh_hard:

Edited by blackdeathgr

Great little build. The statue of Hades is particularly good - very sinister! Great work!

A gruesome build, but entirely fitting for your character. The alter is a nice clean build (minus the blood at the top), and the inclusion of the statue and bowl for offerings is nice. 

Let me know if you need any help getting this or anything else licensed.