gabrielerava

[MOC] Submarine House

Dear all,

here follows a new MOC, it’s called Submarine House and it’s the newcome in my Ravatown seaside project.

IMG_5230

Here some additional shots.

IMG_5226

IMG_5225

This building it’s the conclusion of the longest side of the project.

IMG_5235

IMG_5239

And, in case, this is why it’s called Submarine House !  ; )

IMG_5221

IMG_5220

In fact I needed to find a location to place the Beatles Yellow Submarine into my City, so that I had to build a dedicated building to store the item!

The warehouse is built based on the size of the submarine, and it’s obtained from an old stone building. Now you can see only some pieces survived from the old building.

The windows at low level are made as portholes, and a wooden structure supports the higher storey.

IMG_5248

IMG_5249

The upper floor is inhabited by a group of sailors (you can see one of them on the balcony with a telescope). There’s a chimney on the top of the roof to warm up the interior

of the building when outside the wind blows hard. The roof itself is made to resemble the shape of a pirate’s hat (as a section view).

On the roof some antennas are placed for radio transmissions.

IMG_5251

IMG_5250

Here follows a view of the entire Rava Town seaside project.

IMG_5257

IMG_5260

Hope you like it!  ; )

Let me know your comments and thoughts about it please!

More shots on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132864555@N03/

IMG_5262

Edited by gabrielerava

That is a very nice solution to an unusual problem! The build as a whole fits incredibly well into your seaside layout, which is wonderful by the way.

Shaping the roof like a pirate hat gives a lovely curve against the dormer windows, and coupled with the porthole windows on the lower layer gives a true nautical feel to the build. The style of architecture also matches that of the submarine itself, also.

Some lovely features, really great work, thank you for sharing! :thumbup: 

Nice! This building is a little bit of a cross between Elves and Modulars... in a very good way :classic:. The sexy curves of the roof were the first thing I noticed, but then I saw the Minecraft rail system brown tiles as framing for between the first and second floor and really liked such simple but nice touch. I do agree this building serves quite a "niche" problem, but heck, weirder buildings are my favourite :grin:. Your sea front is really taking a nice, very unique look. Congrats!

Pau

This is brilliant. Lovely building, with so many charming details and elements!

Good of you to include the small market scene on the left - I was gonna comment that that section looked too empty after I saw the first few pictures :laugh:

Also love that entire area of your city, especially the bigger house right next to it.

Fantastic! What a whimsical and fun design. Looks like something from a Studio Ghibli movie.

This is really charming! Firstly a great idea to build something literally "around" the Yellow Submarine, secondly its also very well executed. A nice mix of colours and surface textures. The building doesn't looks at all like purpose-built for a boat - and that's really a quality. It fits perfectly into your harbour, which looks really fun as well (and great to see a Black Seas Barracuda!).

So in short: Lovely house and lovely town/harbour layout:classic:

Fantastic in every aspect. I hope you never run out of space to increase your seaside project because I simply love it. :)

That looks nice. And a great way to store the Yellow Submarine. I like the style of the roof as well as how you did the window shutters. It looks really good.

And in the lower half the Ninjago City style is very obvious. I am not sure if the top and lower half really fit together, but seeing it in your entire layout it looks great.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:06 PM, Pandora said:

That is a very nice solution to an unusual problem! The build as a whole fits incredibly well into your seaside layout, which is wonderful by the way.

Shaping the roof like a pirate hat gives a lovely curve against the dormer windows, and coupled with the porthole windows on the lower layer gives a true nautical feel to the build. The style of architecture also matches that of the submarine itself, also.

Some lovely features, really great work, thank you for sharing! :thumbup: 

Thanks for the kind words. I'm very pleased that you liked it!

On 6/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, paupadros said:

Nice! This building is a little bit of a cross between Elves and Modulars... in a very good way :classic:. The sexy curves of the roof were the first thing I noticed, but then I saw the Minecraft rail system brown tiles as framing for between the first and second floor and really liked such simple but nice touch. I do agree this building serves quite a "niche" problem, but heck, weirder buildings are my favourite :grin:. Your sea front is really taking a nice, very unique look. Congrats!

Pau

Yes, I might say that I bought the Minecraft set only to gather such rail pieces. Moreover lately I'm trying to build "weird" building as long as it serves to fill the "gaps" in my city. For the more "classic-standard" modular buildings there are already the Lego Modulars that do the work quit well!

The roof was the first thing that took shape in my mind. The remaining of the MOC was a consequence!

On 6/23/2018 at 6:14 AM, carebear said:

O My!!!!

this looks Amazing!!!

Great Great Work!!!

Greetings

And great thanks to you as well!

On 6/23/2018 at 10:36 AM, RogerSmith said:

This is brilliant. Lovely building, with so many charming details and elements!

Good of you to include the small market scene on the left - I was gonna comment that that section looked too empty after I saw the first few pictures :laugh:

Also love that entire area of your city, especially the bigger house right next to it.

The space was needed to create the right distance between the MOCS to give to each its building its role. Then the market scene was an obvious but good solution and creates some continuum with the Japanese windows of the Sea Towers.

p.s. When you say "the bigger house", do you mean the Sea Towers (the MOC in bright light orange) or the Cafè Corner? *huh*

On 6/23/2018 at 11:34 AM, Lord Brickington said:

Wow, impressive solution! I really like the feel of the old seaside houseing!

Glad you liked it. The feeling is a must for a MOC!

On 6/24/2018 at 1:22 AM, eliza said:

Fantastic! What a whimsical and fun design. Looks like something from a Studio Ghibli movie.

Wow. I'm a "fan" of Miyazaki films. So this a great compliment to my MOC! Thanks! :iamded_lol:

On 6/24/2018 at 10:53 PM, peedeejay said:

Fantastic in every aspect. I hope you never run out of space to increase your seaside project because I simply love it. :)

Hard to admit, but I'm running out of space for both the seaside and the city. I'm analyzing a solution that should provide me with some additional space. With reference to the seaside, there should be one last module on the right of the Fish and Sea Shops. I have some ideas on my mind, but still waiting for some development.

On 6/24/2018 at 2:45 AM, Littleworlds said:

This is really charming! Firstly a great idea to build something literally "around" the Yellow Submarine, secondly its also very well executed. A nice mix of colours and surface textures. The building doesn't looks at all like purpose-built for a boat - and that's really a quality. It fits perfectly into your harbour, which looks really fun as well (and great to see a Black Seas Barracuda!).

So in short: Lovely house and lovely town/harbour layout:classic:

Thanks a lot, the aim was exactly to have a dedicated building but able to mix with other "normal" houses. In fact it's a double purpose building with a secret identity! :sweet:

p.s. The Black Barracuda is the last Lego that I was gifted with when I was a boy...

On 6/26/2018 at 7:58 AM, Man with a hat said:

That looks nice. And a great way to store the Yellow Submarine. I like the style of the roof as well as how you did the window shutters. It looks really good.

And in the lower half the Ninjago City style is very obvious. I am not sure if the top and lower half really fit together, but seeing it in your entire layout it looks great.

Thanks. In fact I tried to insert some elements in the middle floor to find a sort a continuity between the ground floor and the roof. In the middle floor there are elements in reddish brown and white to resemble the ground floor, mixed with blue palette colors to resemble the blue and dark blue around the dormers. Same you can find both straight elements in the balcony to resemble the ground floor and curved lines above the windows to resemble the lines of the roof. Finally the masonry of the chimney trace a path to masonry bricks of the base of the building. :classic:

Once more, thanks to everybody!

20 hours ago, gabrielerava said:

The space was needed to create the right distance between the MOCS to give to each its building its role. Then the market scene was an obvious but good solution and creates some continuum with the Japanese windows of the Sea Towers.

p.s. When you say "the bigger house", do you mean the Sea Towers (the MOC in bright light orange) or the Cafè Corner? *huh*

:laugh:

Your MOC, of course!

I hadn't even consciously noticed Cafe Corner in that one pic its visible in. :wink:

This looks interesting. I wasn't convienced immediatelly, but after a while the house really grew on me. It's a bit too crowded with various details, and it's stands out too much. But considering this being your style, it has some very clever touches. I like the portholes and stone patio, however, my favourite is the roof section. The inverted arch part is great for creating a slightly different angle of the roof. Well done. 

This is really nice and quite unique. Got to agree with what others have said already. It's the roof that steals the show for me and is the first thing that I noticed about the building. The shots of your layout look great too. :classic:

Definitely my favorite MOC by you to date! I'm a big fun of the arches and this modular uses so many of them! :wub: The white part of the ground floor looks so clean and smooth, and the surviving parts from that old stone building as you call it are working amazingly here as well as the Minecraft 2x2 wedge plates! The windows with their shutters on the first floor are simply fantastic as is the roof!

While I dig all the arches on the roof, I'm not sure about the look of the gold jumper plates above the mudguard pieces and the stacked three blue 1x4 bricks. I would prefer it less colored...Another advice I'd give would be to put your modulars in Flickr groups like Cafe CornerLEGOLego Architecture and DesignAFOL 16+Awesome Lego Stuff!Everything LEGOLego!Lego!Lego!Lego FreaksEurobricks Flickr group (and there much more groups to discover)... Otherwise, it's not easy to be really discovered unless one of your MOCs is featured somewhere important like the brothers brick for example.

Anyway, keep up the amazing work! :classic: :thumbup:

On 6/28/2018 at 11:03 PM, Redhead1982 said:

This looks interesting. I wasn't convienced immediatelly, but after a while the house really grew on me. It's a bit too crowded with various details, and it's stands out too much. But considering this being your style, it has some very clever touches. I like the portholes and stone patio, however, my favourite is the roof section. The inverted arch part is great for creating a slightly different angle of the roof. Well done. 

I always think that my Mocs are someway missing details... ?

On 6/28/2018 at 11:57 PM, Bricked1980 said:

This is really nice and quite unique. Got to agree with what others have said already. It's the roof that steals the show for me and is the first thing that I noticed about the building. The shots of your layout look great too. :classic:

Thanks to everybody. The roof is mine favourite ad well. And the first part built.

On 7/4/2018 at 10:03 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow what a brilliant idea! :thumbup:

Nice building perfectly integrated with the submarine

Thank you!

On 7/3/2018 at 11:55 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Definitely my favorite MOC by you to date! I'm a big fun of the arches and this modular uses so many of them! :wub: The white part of the ground floor looks so clean and smooth, and the surviving parts from that old stone building as you call it are working amazingly here as well as the Minecraft 2x2 wedge plates! The windows with their shutters on the first floor are simply fantastic as is the roof!

While I dig all the arches on the roof, I'm not sure about the look of the gold jumper plates above the mudguard pieces and the stacked three blue 1x4 bricks. I would prefer it less colored...Another advice I'd give would be to put your modulars in Flickr groups like Cafe CornerLEGOLego Architecture and DesignAFOL 16+Awesome Lego Stuff!Everything LEGOLego!Lego!Lego!Lego FreaksEurobricks Flickr group (and there much more groups to discover)... Otherwise, it's not easy to be really discovered unless one of your MOCs is featured somewhere important like the brothers brick for example.

Anyway, keep up the amazing work! :classic: :thumbup:

Hi LegoModularFan,

thanks for your appreciation and suggestions. I made some modifications (no more gold jumper plates, three blue brick substituted and changed flags positions). Here follows some photos.

IMG_6028

IMG_6024

IMG_6025

Let me know your thoughts about!

Thanks

Gabriele

p.s. I will check the flickr accounts suggested. :wink:

In the meantime you can find the photos of my modulars on my Flickr account https://www.flickr.com/photos/132864555@N03/ ,

and some videos of Ravatown (my town) on youtube address https://m.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U&app=m&persist_app=1&rdm=3cxkgf440&noapp=1&client=mv-google

On 7/12/2018 at 10:55 PM, gabrielerava said:

Hi LegoModularFan,

thanks for your appreciation and suggestions. I made some modifications (no more gold jumper plates, three blue brick substituted and changed flags positions). Here follows some photos.

I'm sorry for my late response, @gabrielerava. I really appreciate what you've done, I really wouldn't have expected you would modify your MOC only for me! Thanks so much! :blush: 

The newer version is better in my opinion. However what I exactly meant is shown in the image below:

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2018_07_16_at_19_02_25.png

Anyway, this is only a tiny detail and more importantly, this is your MOC... :laugh: You have done a wonderful job, keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Despite the fzct I find this yellow submarine an awfull lego set, I find your MOC Wonderfull! I really like the shapes you give to that building and the details you put in the architecture. I especially loove the roof shape, the wooden structure sustaining the balcony, the rounded window of the ground floor and windows and shutters of the 1rst floor (2nd floor if your americain, this difference can be really confusing sometimes).