Captain Nemo

Tree of Worlds - Brickworld Chicago 2018 Eurobricks Collab

Tree of Worlds

Each year, a group of Eurobricks members meet together in Schaumburg, Illinois, at the annual Lego convention Brickworld Chicago, to construct one large and crazy collaborative build. This is the result: 

42042507105_133c9867bf_b.jpg

This year, 18 members of our online community came together to build one crazy display--a massive free-standing tree, six feet tall, holding on the end of its mythical branches, Elemental Worlds--realms embodying all of the most important elements of the universe. This build took a year of planning, building, headaches, and Swedish Fish to construct, transport, rebuild, and finally display to the public and private attendees this past weekend.

To build the tree itself, a small number of us met up a for a few weekends prior to the event to pre-build the entire piece. This worked wonders, as it meant we didn't have to build on site...in theory...until we arrived and found out we didn't organize well enough and had to rebuild half the trunk from scratch... :blush:

One of the coolest aspects of the tree was that it was situated on the convention floor, in a wide open space. Utilizing planning and generous fire safety regulations, we are able to position the tree in a vast wide open space, which meant that all the aisles in the hall seemed to lead to it. This made the display a landmark of the convention, so much so that we noticed people start to use it as a meeting-point. :grin:

42174379204_5e7730fb2a_c.jpg  42844656922_244f9ee478_c.jpg

For those interested in logistical construction, we supported the tree with a simple wooden frame (somewhat visible on the progress picture above). It was...mostly successful! Additionally, we must thank LEGO themselves for their great Event Support program (via their Ambassador Program)--which allowed us to buy many many many more brown bricks that we thought we'd need at an affordable rate. We otherwise would not have been able to build this creation. 

---

So who built this?

Eurorbricks--that's who! Well more accurately, a number of Eurobricks members did: 

42844656422_a9bb128eff_b.jpg

Front Row, Left to Right: @Hinckley, @Quarryman, @Ryushi, @CorneliusMurdock, @soccerkid6, @LittleJohn

Second Row, Left to Right: @Darkdragon, @ZCerberus, @Kristel@Captain Nemo, @MKJoshA

Third Row, Left to Right: @Prune Face(Tree), @Silver.Smith, @Rogue Angel, @Gideon, @Vincent Kessels

Not Present at Convention: @Bob De Quatre @RoxYourBlox

----

Who Built What? 

Each member of the collab built a realm on a branch and/or helped construct the tree itself.

29071530948_6b8c698067_c.jpg

The Ice Realm, by @Gideon, who also apparently took 1000 photos at the convention, many of which are shown here

29071531688_d936bd10ba_c.jpg

The Night Realm by @Kristel--her Dragon was nominated for Best Creature...it was also at one point destroyed after a great fall and had to be rebuilt...thanks in no part to unnamed persons who know who they is :poke:  Edit Z- There was one sober person there... he takes no responsibility for the incident.

42944642671_d8ff482485_c.jpg

The Gem Realm, by @Quarryman, who also came so close to finishing his individual build this year!  Edit:Z- Quarry was also nominated for Best Land Vehicle for another build!

42225520644_5ec3df5819_c.jpg

The Harvest Realm, by brother builders @soccerkid6 and @LittleJohn. This was their first Brickworld Chicago, and we were very excited to have them join the team...and teach them the important lesson that you need to put Technic in heavy things if you want it to hang upside down. :blush: Edit Z- Little John was nominated for Best Teen Creation and SoccerKid6 was nominated for Best Individual Layout and won a Judge’s Award for their castley creations.

41133794340_4a6c3fd167_c.jpg

Speaking of heavy things, :grin: @MKJoshA built the Earth Realm--which ended up being too heavy for the tree when it snapped a branch overnight (although for the record, all the sober members were not in the convention hall at the time of the incident...) So we were forced to make a quick fix by moving his realm to a nearby table and moving the Bee to the end of the branch. So...sorry again Josh! 

41133793470_aa3153c6ea_c.jpg

The Water Realm, built by @Captain Nemo, because of course. Edit Z- Nemo wracked up 4 more nominations for Best Creature, Best Sea Vessel, Best Large Building and Brick World Master!

42042505325_ac209845f1_c.jpg

The Heart Realm, by @CorneliusMurdock, who we apparently don't love enough, because we broke his heart like three times. :wub:

42225524554_8d0652d8dd_c.jpg

The Thirst Realm, by @Darkdragon, ironically located next to the Water Realm and under the furnaces of the Forge Realm. Dark Dragon also won the award for Best Train, which was part of her individual layout.   

42042504395_61768871b0_c.jpg

The Forge Realm, by @Silver.Smith, with a very cool Forge Deity. 

42042480685_ff9ca5d163_c.jpg

The Nature Realm, by @Rogue Angel, which contained numerous flowers that were constantly knocked off. 

28075145687_76a597e574_c.jpg

The Nebula Realm, by @Hinckley. The fire ship on his realm was nominated for, and won, best Sea Vessel. Edit Z- Hinckley also took home a small brick for his Best Large Building!

Additional Builds

In addition to the Tree itself, we constructed numerous other builds to decorate the display. 

42225521934_645b09b3b7.jpg 29071549618_ce82d29d02.jpg 

42225523504_274989b9d7.jpg 42225524144_9251fd9522.jpg

29071551878_d6bf29850b.jpg 42844653142_089ab5cb22.jpg

Builders: @Captain Nemo (Dragon Snake, Bear, Dream-Catcher) @Hinckley (Bee, Beehive, Mushroom) @Ryushi (Greenery placement) @ZCerberus (Frogs, Flowers) @Bob De Quatre (Stag Hall Design), @Prune Face (Lighting)

Edit Z- Ryushi captured a big brick for Best Replica and ZCerberus got the nod for Best Spacecraft thanks to table space donated by Hinck and Nemo!

Transformation 

One of the best things about the display was that it transformed. During the annual World of Lights (in which the convention hall lights are turned off, leaving only lights on the builds) the tree transformed from a mythical representation of the universe to that of a physical one--with the realms becoming floating planets. 

41082276010_012044d9a8_c.jpg

28023781897_b9e3c7e343_c.jpg

Accolades 

The Tree of Worlds was awarded the Best Group Display at Brickworld Chicago 2018. This is the third consecutive win for Eurobricks! The Fire Ship won the award for Best Sea Vessel and the Night Dragon was nominated for Best Creature. Additionally, our very own Root-Admin @Hinckley finally won the prestigious Brickworld Master award. :thumbup:

28075144097_5ac6ffc9a5.jpg 42944622881_410e48eec2.jpg

--

Finally I'd like to thank everyone once again who participated in this undertaking that was our display! It was a lot of hard work but we are very happy to show off the results. 

If you would like to see more images, please view the Flickr Pages of Gideon and Hinckley 

Excellent and thorough write up, @Captain Nemo! I don't think we've ever had such a well–documented topic for any of our displays. As our group grows, so does our documentation! :grin:

We've been through a lot of growth over the last 5–6 years and I'm so happy to build with this group every year. It seems to just get better and better. I really enjoy the stuff we've come up with, under Nemo's excellent guidance for the amazing creative ideas he has shared for us to participate in. Being able to collaborate but still express our individual creativity is a staple of our group. Over the years, we've figured out how to meld our creative individuality together to seem cohesive in a group display. Great work, everybody! I'm looking forward to many more years, working with all of you, winning or not.

Although, I hope we get that fourth win in a row and beat VLUG's record. :blush:

Wow! This is just amazing!!! I have no words...

I have to see with great detail (and time) each photo. There are so many interesting build techniques there to learn of! :wub:

Great summary of a truly world-class project! Way to go @Captain Nemo

So thankful to have been allowed to take part in the effort and for all the fun building, displaying and finally destroying the tree :classic: 

That's very awesome group layout. I like it Treemendously! :laugh:

The pictures dont even do this justice .... There was so much for the eye to see ... This was my first brickworld ever and I was pleasently suprised when I learned I actually knew a hand full of the people that built it.  

Good job ... There was so much to see... Im glad I saw it the first day in its full glory.  And although the flowers kept falling off it made a neat picture as if nature was existing in lego form.

Super Accelades to @Captain Nemofor the  idea, sketches, and running the forum for this year’s collab!  18 Best Group Layout Trophies thanks in large part to your efforts!  Three cheers for Nemo!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Lots of talent in the builds, but I am most proud we do it with fun, original ideas and minimal ego.

This is absolutely amazing, all of you! I'm in awe of every single section. Also, awesome Groot-headed figures in the Earth Realm @MKJoshA

Amazingly incredible piece of awesome collaborative display for Eurobricks! 3 cheers for all of you great builders. :wub: 

Nemo, thanks for breaking this one almighty display into collective efforts. I love the various builts being able to put together into one epic giant tree. I throughly enjoyed reading and indulge in this coverage. 

Excellent work and congratulations to all of the trophies received. 

7 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

This is absolutely amazing, all of you! I'm in awe of every single section. Also, awesome Groot-headed figures in the Earth Realm @MKJoshA

Thank you! I wanted to show the battle between rock and root in my Earth Realm and the Groot figure seemed a good member to use for the root side of things!

Wonderful recap of a truly amazing project! It was a privilege to contribute this year, and we certainly learned our lesson about using technic :laugh:
Congratulations to everyone who contributed on earning the well deserved Group Layout award :thumbup:

Also thanks Gideon for getting some great pictures of the tree :classic:

This is an incredible MOC, easily the best EB has taken to Chicago. Every single realm is packed with detail and the concept itself invokes a lot of imagination and creativity. My personal favorite builds were from @Gideon for the realistic temple architecture (I'm a sucker for European history) @MKJoshA for the rock golem and @Captain Nemo for the outside-the-box and abstract construction used in the Water Realm. Congratulations to everyone involved :classic:

Awesome stuff. The different realms are really creative and well build. My favorite part however is the snake. The sculpting mimics the weight of the serpent draped over the tree really well. Good stuff! 

Eesh, that is an amazing build. It looks fantastic all lit up. Things like the Brickworld Collab absolutely define what Eurobricks is. A community that comes together to build some unreal creations by cooperating and working with each other.

Looking forward to what you're going to try to build and top this!

Woah, what a mind-blowing display! Wonderful job to each one of you who worked in this incredible display! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: It's so nice to know we have such wonderful MOCers on here and just unbelievable how easy it's to contact with them if wanted! It's really difficult to choose my favorite part, each part of the tree has something unique! :wub: Keep up the incredible work both in MOCing and in being part/moderating this wonderful forum! :blush: :thumbup:

This is an absolutely phenomenal build, and to have won is also icing on the cake! Huge congratulations to all the builders for your incredible hard work, it really is astonishing. There's so much to love, but the Water Realm, Nebula Realm and Nature Realms - just gorgeous, and they all look so good in World of Lights. The whole is a fantastic idea and it's been executed brilliantly, I really cannot praise you all enough. 

I'll echo what Pep has said and agree that this really is something for everyone at Eurobricks to be proud of as it represents our best qualities of collaboration, cooperation, creativity and joy. Also, thank you for the brilliant write up @Captain Nemo!

@Hinckley, congratulations on winning Brickworld Master, best Sea Vessel and Best Large Building along with the group win - a seriously impressive haul of trophies! 

Well done everyone! :thumbup: :excited: 

Wow! That's an amazing build. Congrats to everyone for the win. There's so many cool aspects to this. I think @Silver.Smith's forge realm and @Gideon's ice realm are my favorites.

Wow, excellent work guys! This is, yet again, an amazing build!

WOW ? 

The tree itself is an absolute wonderful creation, but every single world is an awesome gem. Creativity here is at maximum level. Compliments to everyone of the builders. Only sad to can’t see it live.

That is just amazing; every build is truly inspiring and then to put them all together ... wow. Due to personal interests, I really love the night dragon and the forge :)

That build was amazing.  My wife loved it and kept pointing things out to me.

The flowers,  the icicles, the frogs, and the eyes and wings of the dragon should be noted.

Great Job by everyone

Steve

Excellent wrapup and great photos from many folks. I wish my realm was more photogenic, I think it looks better in person but I wasn't able to get a decent photo of it.

Everyone did an amazing job on modules and on helping as a team to get it all ready in time for the show.

It was a lot of fun to be able to attend BW again and be part of the collaboration. I'm really happy that we won and looking forward to another win next year!

What an absolutely magnificent creation!

A true testament to teamwork and creativity!

Hats off to all involved looks to me that everyone bought their A-game and individually people hit it out of the park too!

Well done all!

:wub: