linusbohman

Interesting findings after indexing all Eurobricks reviews

9 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Having troubles accessing that. The link is giving me an error?

EDIT, but I found a way!

Derp - sorry, I had accidentally linked to the development copy on my own machine. I updated the link in that post to the correct one, but glad you found it despite my error :)

@Jim Glad you find it intriguing! It is a fun project to work on.

Edited by linusbohman

On 7/3/2018 at 10:23 PM, Jim said:

Wow, this is nothing short of spectacular! I will read the entire topic when I have time, but this sure is interesting.

https://brickinsights.com/statistics/reviewers/15?author=Jim&page=1

@Pandora I've finally found the errors. They kept in total 46 Eurobricks reviews out of the review queue. The bugs were, in fact two - some reviews were too large which made my system reject them, and one bug made the system believe the tags before the titles were the link to the review - leading to missing posts. Both are solved now, and I'm working my way through the missing reviews to add snippets, score and the rest of the information. I ought to get them done over the coming days. Thanks for pointing it out to me - I would have missed it for sure if you hadn't.

This is so amazing, and made even more amazing by the fact that you just posted it out of the blue (of course to you it wasn't out of the blue, but it was to the rest of us)! On a completely personal level, I can't thank you enough because now I have an index of all of my reviews once again. I used to keep one on my profile page years ago, but since a Forum software update a while back that has been gone and I have never gone through to find all the links again.

Your project has also made me more committed to including ratings at the end of my reviews once more. I had dropped them because I didn't enjoy writing them and felt you can't really slap a number score on a LEGO set anyway, but in the context of comparing different people's thoughts at a glance I see now that they are useful, and not having scores makes all of my recent reviews somewhat useless to a project like yours. Maybe I should even go back and add number ratings to the ones where I didn't have any, if I have the time to do so.

22 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Many thanks again, this has been a great help indeed. :classic:

My pleasure. Thanks for all the reviewing and moderation you do. Have played around with the exports? Anything you want me to change?

10 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Your project has also made me more committed to including ratings at the end of my reviews once more. I had dropped them because I didn't enjoy writing them and felt you can't really slap a number score on a LEGO set anyway, but in the context of comparing different people's thoughts at a glance I see now that they are useful, and not having scores makes all of my recent reviews somewhat useless to a project like yours. Maybe I should even go back and add number ratings to the ones where I didn't have any, if I have the time to do so.

Glad you like the site, @Clone OPatra! I understand that people are a bit hesitant to give scores. Since a score will always be personal, it'll never reflect an objective truth. In my view, that makes them more valuable - if I can find a reviewer with whom I generally agree, then I know I can trust that persons judgement more. This project has helped me personally do just that - hopefully it can do the same for others. If you do go back and add scores, please let me know (here or on linus@linusbohman.se) so I can go back and update the reviews.

I would just like to take the time and say that I'm overwhelmed by the positive feedback everyone has given. I really, really appreciate the suggestions, positivity and criticism. If this small project can be of use to the community, I'm happy to continue building it. Right now I'm figuring out a way to identify RA reviews - not easy for me by my lonesome, but if someone would be interested in helping me we could tackle it this way:

• We identify all reviewers in RA (if there is such a list)?
  • I flag reviews from these people in the system
  • And build a separate little interface, showing the review on top and two buttons below (Is this an RA review? Yes/No)
  • That someone from the RA uses to confirm or negate that flag
  • Once that is done, I can create a separate profile ("Eurobricks Reviewers Academy") and move those reviews to that profile

Would that work? Anyone interested in committing to doing that work? Maybe @Pandora, @WhiteFang or @makoy?

Edited by linusbohman
Saved before I finished writing

1 minute ago, linusbohman said:

Have played around with the exports? Anything you want me to change?

I have had a go at exporting and fixing things to how I like them and it has been a very useful tool. :thumbup: What alterations I have done to the data are basics like spacing and a little bit of a text change (Eurobricks becomes Review as I am following our indexing style etc). I can't suggest anything that needs changing, as everything is pretty fab as is. I am not sure if anyone else has been working to update their theme indexes, but I am sure they'll have feedback when they do.

On 7/8/2018 at 8:34 PM, linusbohman said:

Right now I'm figuring out a way to identify RA reviews - not easy for me by my lonesome, but if someone would be interested in helping me we could tackle it this way:

• We identify all reviewers in RA (if there is such a list)?
  • I flag reviews from these people in the system
  • And build a separate little interface, showing the review on top and two buttons below (Is this an RA review? Yes/No)
  • That someone from the RA uses to confirm or negate that flag
  • Once that is done, I can create a separate profile ("Eurobricks Reviewers Academy") and move those reviews to that profile

Would that work? Anyone interested in committing to doing that work?

I would be willing to help you do this. It will be as-and-when I am available, but I believe it is a great project, and I sort of asked for it in the first place! :laugh: 

The potential sticking points will be identifying all RA reviewers, checking at what point a member joined the RA and verifying which of their reviews are RA. It might also be interesting to note bronze, silver and gold reviews also, which wouldn't take too much effort on top. Happy to discuss anything further, and please feel free to PM me.