Bregir

[COR-FB] Cooke's country residence

Things were returning to normal after the great ball that had turned King's Harbour upside down in preparation and anticipation of the event. The local commerce had benefited from the guests, although it had not brought the activity and investments in the settlement hoped by the Colonial Governor.

However, with sir Michael Farley appointed colonial administrator to King's Harbour, Cooke now had more time on his hands to handle governor's business and his Royal Navy commitments.

He had even found the time to retreat to his country residence just outside King's Harbour from time to time, enjoying the peace and quiet of the countryside on beautiful Cocovia. Today, though, rear-admiral Fletcher had come to visit to discuss the newest developments in the colonies, the establishment of the Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery, and its grand expedition.

39094592335_e0ba9f1698_c.jpg

"Mr. Epper II. showed his abilities in constructing the wagon way here on Cocovia, and he seems a competent fellow..." Cooke pondered "...but this new Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery and their 'grand expedition' is quite the undertaking. He will have every chance to prove his meddle... or to fail miserably..."

"I know only little of the man, but I am assured he is competent. And he has some good seconds in that Clutchington fellow and Captain Blackwood."

"Formerly of the Royal Marines, I believe?.." Cooke interjected.

"Indeed - although there was some talk of... amourous missteps... I have never heard any reproof against his tactical skills." the rear-admiral said with something that was almost a chuckle. "But there are some rumours of extravagance and overspending. I am told that an initial Royal grant of 1000 dbs was deemed insufficient, and it was to be doubled...."

"Doubled!" Cooke said raising a brow. "2000 dbs to outfit an expedition?"

"Indeed - and it seems mr. Epper II. are lobbying for even more funds." Fletcher said.

Cooke seemed somewhat shocked. "Imagine what the Royal Navy could do with an extra grant of 2000 dbs... That would be three brand new frigates with money to spare!"

"And a possible end to many a pirate, yes."

"I have a feeling the activities of the Society will be watched carefully by her Majesty and the ministry..." Cooke said.

"And by every political opponent to the Society vying for funding..." Fletcher brooded.

39961098182_26f531196c_c.jpg

A house I build some while back but which was missing a story. Happily, the RSND came along for a little commentary by Cooke and Fletcher. :)

C&C on my efforts towards a tuscan style country home for the Governor.

A very nice cottage !

I like this roof and the entrance hall, this secondary roof is well thought.

Green textured bricks !!  Where did you get them ?

I can't make the difference... the main color is tan or yellow ?

Edited by Professor Thaum

Very neat house, the roof is very well built, and clever use of cheese slopes and of the lime plates ofc.:laugh:

Great house Bregir. Diagonal positioning always seems to really add to a MOC and this is no exception. The offset entrance also gives what is a relatively simple structure an interesting and eye catching shape. I definitely think you have captured the look you were going for here and it looks like a lovely retreat for Cooke! I especially like the lime shutters and offset tan tiles.

The texturing is well done, but I think could probably benefit from the addition of some plates mixed in with the bricks, for example after a dark tan highlight brick, using a dark tan 2x1 plate with two tan 2x1 plates to extend the effect - hopefully that makes sense? Also some layering on the ground (or perhaps an irregular base) I think would have really added to the scene. Just some suggestions.

Great discussion between Cooke and Fletcher, I think it really adds depth to our factions storyline showing the competing forces for funding and development. Hopefully the Society will not disappoint!

That's a very nice house, Bregir. I like the technique you used for the shutters, and the overall worn look of the structure is well done. The scenery is nice (apparently Cooke is a better gardener than Aubrey), though I find the path to be a little lacking. Perhaps some tan or brown between the stones to suggest dirt, or if the path is supposed to be grass covered the stones could be level with the grass. 

A charming European-style building! placing it in an angle surely enhances your MOC! Oh, and strangely enough *oh2*, I like the bright green touches