aminnich

42080 Forest Harvester - MODs and Improvements

I am starting this topic now because this set is going to need a lot of help to get it to look anything close to perfect, that goes for the A-model and the B-model.  

I would be using the Ponesse Scorpion King as a reference for the A-model and the Ponesse Buffalo for the B-model. 

Image result for ponsse scorpion king

Image result for ponsse buffalo

Putting the set's color vomit discussion to the side, this set is still ugly and needs some help, Any ideas, post away!

did you do that in photoshop?  It isnt half bad, but I still think that parts of the set need a total redesign.

To get it close you’ll need to remove the battery box, which means going manual pneumatics. I’d suggest a pump that can be pulled out of the model’s back, or one that’s disguised as an exhaust stack.

By removing PF and the battery box you’ll be able to lower the height of the rear section and move it backwards, allowing you to also move the cabin turntable backwards so it’s over the steering pivot.

Finally you’d want to remove the steering and suspension of the front axle so that you can add new pendular suspension for the left and right wheel groups. In doing so you’ll also be able to lower the body height of the front and back.

Got this fun little set for Christmas and once I'd built it I set about modifying it. The first thing I wanted to do was add another pump for more air volume. I tried motorising the hand pump from 42053 but that was a non starter.

800x696.jpg So I moved on to 2 small pumps with an offset crank.

800x600.jpg

Sadly the crank ended up 1/2 stud too long so switched to 2 pumps on 1 axle. To get a top mounting point I had to use the battery box as part of the frame so it is not quite so easy to remove any more.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

This also meant the roof panel moved back 1 stud.

800x600.jpg

The other thing I found was the cab would swing on its turntable at the slightest movement. I wanted to add some friction and a HOG so I modified the front frame.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

This meant the 12 tooth gear with a friction pin hitting a cross beam on the cab bottom.

800x600.jpg

By swapping some 2l pins and 3l pins I moved it forwards.

800x600.jpg

This has the added bonus of opening doors. That counts as a function :classic:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I hope the driver doesn't knock his flask over when he gets in. Also above I added 2l beams to the valves controls.

Furthers mods include PF lights which needed a shorter beam to clear the battery connector.

800x600.jpg

I secured the white beam under the 2nd axle. I checked the instructions twice to see if I'd missed something but it really does seem to just swing loose otherwise?

800x600.jpg

And finally a worm gear driven cutting head. I like the way the standard mechanism locks by going over centre but this will hold at any angle.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

If you look carefully you can see my failed attempt at a spring loaded blade. You can pull it back to "chop" the tree but because it rests in a forward position the tree no longer sits deep enough in the jaws.