Rogue Angel

GoH Book III

6 hours ago, TitusV said:

Well, Book II is finally here, resulting in a sudden burst of activity (as you may have noticed). If you want to read up on how we defeated Ravaage, you can do so here. Aside from that, Nocturnus is no longer one of the four 'core guilds', being swapped out for Varlyrio. Of course, you can still build in the region and Shadowmere is still an existing place, one just can't sign up for them anymore.

I'm not completely sure what happened to our favoured vampire, though I think he made an appearance in multiple Ch V entries! Maybe some of your excellent builds could show us how he's doing/has been doing since we last heard of him? :wink: 

Excellent work while I’ve been away! I’ve tried to catch up on some of the builds.

I’m not sure I want to entirely desert Vlad and I’m not sure he’s someone who would leave Nocturnus for another guild given how much he fought for them. I’ll have to give it some thought! He does have an Avalonian mother though, so watch this space!

I’m still away from my bricks at the moment, but I shall try to retrieve them and build for the glory of Historical!

1 minute ago, Lord Vladivus said:

Excellent work while I’ve been away! I’ve tried to catch up on some of the builds.

I’m not sure I want to entirely desert Vlad and I’m not sure he’s someone who would leave Nocturnus for another guild given how much he fought for them. I’ll have to give it some thought! He does have an Avalonian mother though, so watch this space!

I’m still away from my bricks at the moment, but I shall try to retrieve them and build for the glory of Historical!

As a long-time Nocturnian, you would not have to abandon Shadowmere, Lord Vlad, or his story. You can continue to build that up and develop it as you see fit. Perhaps he becomes a major player in the re-stabilization of the Darklands, or something like that. 

For the purposes of Challenges, though, you would have to choose one of the four active guilds for your builds to be scored. You could, for example, join Avalonia, and at some point have Vlad explore his maternal heritage more deeply and spend some time among brighter forests that are not inclined to eat you at every step, while still maintaining his home back in Shadowmere. A sunny Avalonian meadow is probably not the best place for a half-vampire to live long-term, after all. Or Vlad could flee the Darklands entirely, like so many refugees after Raavage's ravages have done, and seek a new life in Varlyrio, or Kaliphlin (though that is only slightly less chaotic than Nocturnus, what with the Desert King and all, and even sunnier than Avalonian meadows), or even Mitgardia (especially if Vlad does not like any sunshine on his meadows at all for half of the year). 

Whatever you choose, we are glad to have you around! I hope you can get your bricks back soon.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:42 PM, MassEditor said:

Me very excited.

Oh man! Patrick! I hope you're serious.

This is frustrating.  I'm trying to get some time to post responses to the builds, but my internet has been out at home for a week now.  The repairman is coming in 30 min so I hope that gets it done.  In the meantime, I am here at a coffee shop stealing free WiFi.  Meh.  Everyone's builds are looking awesome!

On 8/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

As a long-time Nocturnian, you would not have to abandon Shadowmere, Lord Vlad, or his story. You can continue to build that up and develop it as you see fit. Perhaps he becomes a major player in the re-stabilization of the Darklands, or something like that. 

For the purposes of Challenges, though, you would have to choose one of the four active guilds for your builds to be scored. You could, for example, join Avalonia, and at some point have Vlad explore his maternal heritage more deeply and spend some time among brighter forests that are not inclined to eat you at every step, while still maintaining his home back in Shadowmere. A sunny Avalonian meadow is probably not the best place for a half-vampire to live long-term, after all. Or Vlad could flee the Darklands entirely, like so many refugees after Raavage's ravages have done, and seek a new life in Varlyrio, or Kaliphlin (though that is only slightly less chaotic than Nocturnus, what with the Desert King and all, and even sunnier than Avalonian meadows), or even Mitgardia (especially if Vlad does not like any sunshine on his meadows at all for half of the year). 

Whatever you choose, we are glad to have you around! I hope you can get your bricks back soon.

I suppose I could create a new character for the purposes of challenges...

BUT...

NOCTURNUS FOREVER!

I’d quite like to see Vlad continue to fight for Nocturnus, whether that’s economically, physically or otherwise. Despite my absence, I still feel the tugs of what I started so long ago with the Resistance. A Free Nocturnus stands.

1 hour ago, Lord Vladivus said:

A Free Nocturnus stands.

Not currently. It's debatable where many allegiances lie in Nocturnus right now.

9 minutes ago, W Navarre said:

Hello.  I have done it. 

Well hello there, I see that you have :laugh: :innocent:  Well, hmhmm, welcome to the Guilds, man!  Now get to work on some Varlyrian builds! :grin:

27 minutes ago, W Navarre said:

Hello.  I have done it. 

Heck yeah!  Welcome! :thumbup:

18 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

Well hello there, I see that you have :laugh: :innocent:  Well, hmhmm, welcome to the Guilds, man!  Now get to work on some Mitgardian builds! :grin:

You spelled Mitgardian wrong.  Fixed it for you.

It is no hoax!  I got myself up to a pitch of fury and bravery and madness, and in the swelling atmosphere I had created, with sweat pouring down my brow and my hands shaking from the adrenaline! ... I pressed the button, and now am here! :soft smile: :faints:

1 minute ago, W Navarre said:

It is no hoax!  I got myself up to a pitch of fury and bravery and madness, and in the swelling atmosphere I had created, with sweat pouring down my brow and my hands shaking from the adrenaline! ... I pressed the button, and now am here! :soft smile: :faints:

Aha, the third sibling has arrived! :D Now which guild will you choose? ;) Welcome! :)

I am just so surprised by the activity that has picked over the last few days. At the moment there is a post every few minutes or so! Far better than the eerie silence that was this forum a month or two ago... 

59 minutes ago, W Navarre said:

Hello.  I have done it. 

Oh dear.  You've done it all right.  :faints:  :tongue: 

I extend a dubious welcome of armed neutrality. :laugh:  because I already know what guild you're going to pick...

9 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

Not currently. It's debatable where many allegiances lie in Nocturnus right now.

Most likely. While Vlad breathes the spirit of Nocturnus is still alive. He’ll probably go vacation in Avalonia for a bit though.

12 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Hello.  I have done it. 

Hello back. I'm very glad you did :thumbup: 

Welcome, my good sir, pick a guild and join the fun.

11 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I extend a dubious welcome of armed neutrality. :laugh:  because I already know what guild you're going to pick...

Seems like you have already picked one, now I'm curious...

---

11 hours ago, The Maestro said:

I am just so surprised by the activity that has picked over the last few days. At the moment there is a post every few minutes or so! Far better than the eerie silence that was this forum a month or two ago... 

Indeed, its so much cooler this way. Almost feels like being home again after a long journey!

Edited by TitusV

11 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Guilds of Historica thrives again!
Makes things tricky to keep up with, but that's always a nice problem to have :laugh:
And all the builds... :drool:

12 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Yeah, I am really enjoying this surge of activity, although I wasn't here during the silence, I still watched the guilds from afar and got a little bored with nothing there. Now it seems that the Historic Themes part of the Forum is the inactive one, and this is active.

1 hour ago, soccerkid6 said:

Guilds of Historica thrives again!
Makes things tricky to keep up with, but that's always a nice problem to have :laugh:
And all the builds... :drool:

Yeah, I normally check in every 1.5-2 hours, and I am surprised by the amount of activity!

There has been quite some confusion regarding the Historican Settlements (HSS) challenge for new players.
Since that obviously points to room for improvement, I would like to suggest that some kind of clarification would be nice. Maybe it would even be an idea to decouple the challenge completely from Avalonia and have a dedicated thread for only the settlements (1 post per builder).
In any case, it would be nice if a moderator eitcher could clean up the present thread (move all discussion posts to another thread?) or if all "active" settlements should get reposted in a new (sticky?) index thread with the rules + an index (like the one HQ just posted) + one and only one post with the details for each "active" settlement including links to all the builds. Any HSS discussion should then be somewhere else.
(I am purposefully not posting this in the thread to avoid furter "bloating" of that thread :wink: )

In the same spirit, I would like to encourage the leaders of all other guilds than Mitgardia to introduce a challenge similar to the "Age of Mitgardia" challenge to also spawn ideas for different types of builds in those lands within suitable categories to flesh out the realms. I also really like how the AoM challenge is spawning simpler builds in the lower tiers.
In the "AoM-style challenge" case however, I think it is a good idea for each guild to have it's own challenge since there might be guild specific categories (even though a copy-paste of the AoM challenge categories probably would be a great step also for e.g. Kaliphlin! :wink: )
I don't recall if AoM builds are eligible for HSS also, but I would in that case suggest that at least highest tiered Ao[insert guild abbreviation here] builds should be ok also for HSS.

41 minutes ago, Gideon said:

There has been quite some confusion regarding the Historican Settlements (HSS) challenge for new players.
Since that obviously points to room for improvement, I would like to suggest that some kind of clarification would be nice. Maybe it would even be an idea to decouple the challenge completely from Avalonia and have a dedicated thread for only the settlements (1 post per builder).
In any case, it would be nice if a moderator eitcher could clean up the present thread (move all discussion posts to another thread?) or if all "active" settlements should get reposted in a new (sticky?) index thread with the rules + an index (like the one HQ just posted) + one and only one post with the details for each "active" settlement including links to all the builds. Any HSS discussion should then be somewhere else.
(I am purposefully not posting this in the thread to avoid furter "bloating" of that thread :wink: )

In the same spirit, I would like to encourage the leaders of all other guilds than Mitgardia to introduce a challenge similar to the "Age of Mitgardia" challenge to also spawn ideas for different types of builds in those lands within suitable categories to flesh out the realms. I also really like how the AoM challenge is spawning simpler builds in the lower tiers.
In the "AoM-style challenge" case however, I think it is a good idea for each guild to have it's own challenge since there might be guild specific categories (even though a copy-paste of the AoM challenge categories probably would be a great step also for e.g. Kaliphlin! :wink: )
I don't recall if AoM builds are eligible for HSS also, but I would in that case suggest that at least highest tiered Ao[insert guild abbreviation here] builds should be ok also for HSS.

Great suggestions, Gideon! I am planning something along this vein, and it would not be amiss to remove "Avalonian" from the thread name. I am in the process of getting the HSS cleaned up and running smoothly again, so bear with me for a bit. There is quite a bit of dust to blow off...

8 hours ago, TitusV said:

Hello back. I'm very glad you did :thumbup: 

Welcome, my good sir, pick a guild and join the fun.

19 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Seems like you have already picked one, now I'm curious...

Thank you!  I do indeed have my mind set on one, I'm pretty sure.  I hope to get building some stuff soon!

May I ask where I can find a good map of Historica?  Is there one with Varlyrio, for example?  And have the borders of the Guilds changed since the start? Book II was all about wars in Nocturnus I understand, and now it's closed to members actually joining the guild, but it's still on the map, right.  So basically, for story purposes it lacks a leader now?  I hope this is the right place to ask questions. Thank you in advance! 

1 hour ago, W Navarre said:

May I ask where I can find a good map of Historica?  Is there one with Varlyrio, for example?  And have the borders of the Guilds changed since the start? Book II was all about wars in Nocturnus I understand, and now it's closed to members actually joining the guild, but it's still on the map, right.  So basically, for story purposes it lacks a leader now?  I hope this is the right place to ask questions. Thank you in advance! 

This:

1000?cb=20120910185639

is the best map of Historica out there, even if it doesn't quite represent all Guilds exactly (no map does).  Varlyrio is located to the southwest, so just beyond the left lower side of the map.

Nocturnus does not have one leader in charge right now, and the allegiances of those lords and leaders that hold power more regionally is not certain.  Nocturnus residents are more likely to have evil tendencies, and can only really be unified under a powerful leader.

Nocturnus is still there, but not open to new members, and entries for the main Challenges (such as the just announced Challenge 1) cannot be entered for Nocturnus.  Older Nocturnus members from Book II can still remain in Nocturnus if they wish, but will need to select a new Guild for which they would build in and submit entries for the main Challenges.

20 hours ago, Gideon said:

Maybe it would even be an idea to decouple the challenge completely from Avalonia and have a dedicated thread for only the settlements (1 post per builder).

I second Gideon's idea.  I would like to see a HSS open to all Historica, and an "Age of Historica" (not just Mitgardia) open to everyone as well.  Maybe one of the tasks could be to build something specific to your guild, so Mitgardia could require something, Avalonia something else... just a thought.  I thought that the Doctorate, the AoM, and the HSS should all be open to each guild (although 2 are), and not really associated with one particular guild.

29 minutes ago, Grover said:

I second Gideon's idea.  I would like to see a HSS open to all Historica, and an "Age of Historica" (not just Mitgardia) open to everyone as well.  Maybe one of the tasks could be to build something specific to your guild, so Mitgardia could require something, Avalonia something else... just a thought.  I thought that the Doctorate, the AoM, and the HSS should all be open to each guild (although 2 are), and not really associated with one particular guild.

The HSS is, and has always been, open to all of the Guilds, even though it is run out of Avalonia by the Royal Cartographer's Guild of Albion, an academic group in the capital of Avalonia. I don't see a compelling reason to dissociate the project from Avalonia entirely, because the cartographers are most interested in compiling a list of ALL settlements of note in Historica, not just Avalonia. Most of those who have registered settlements are not Avalonian, in fact. As shown in past books with the claims to land on the Avalonian maps, we Avalonians are rather particular about our maps, and thus having this particular task coming out of Avalonia makes sense. 

Similarly, the University of Petraea has always accepted candidates for the doctoral program from all of the guilds, even though the university itself is of course located in Kaliphlin. There is no way to get around that one being associated with Kali, nor would there be a good reason to do so. It would be nonsensical to expect the UoP to pack up and move to another location that was more neutral, like Cedrica. It is reflective of Kaliphlinite culture to have a large academic institution devoted to certain topics, just like the medieval Muslims had large centers for learning akin to today's universities, predating the rise of major European universities like Paris and Oxford, and thus entirely appropriate to remain in Kaliphlin. Yeah, your sigfig might have to get some sand in her or his boots walking to class, but that's just the way of it. 

As for AoM, I think it makes sense for EACH guild to have its own version of something similar, but be a separate thing. That is something that makes each guild unique. This is not "Historica" the RBG, but "The Guilds of Historica" the RBG. There needs to be something beyond just land and culture that makes us each special, I think. What remains to be done is the three non-Mitgardian guilds developing their own unique guild-specific challenge. I for one, as the leader of Avalonia, am working on something like that.