Rogue Angel

GoH Book III

6 hours ago, Bart said:

Hello, 
I've been active in that other rpg here, bobs for quit a while now, but around the brick seas where rumours with talks about a third book.
And although I'm not giving up on bobs, I'm interested enough to give the Guilds a go. 

I've no idea yet on which side to choose though :P or how the game works on land, any others who play both bobs and GoH who can give a quick run down of the simularities and differences I need to take into account?

It's been a long time I've been active in around the Brick Seas, but here are some of the bigger differences I can think of. Maybe some others (like @Kai NRG or @Garmadon) may complete the list?

* BoBS is about the Age of Sail, with the needed margins, but GoH is all about the Medieval Ages, with the needed margins as well of course. A pretty obvious thing, but I thought I'd mention it as well :wink: 

* GoH, or at least Book II, doesn't posses an 'active economy'. Participants don't own money or something, though Book I awarded coins to the Guilds, but this was more of a small contest and turned around prestige, they didn't have in-game value. That means no web forms to fill in or build limits! (I had almost forgotten, but we do have a build registration thread! You would have to ask the leadership whether it is still used)

* As the Book I coins show, the competition between factions is very different. Of course, we're all very proud of our own guild (up Avaloniaaaaaa *insert trumpets*), but there's not something like a faction's PM thread, simply because there's no really secret information or need to 'outsmart' the others. Even the diplomatic ties between Guilds are not clear. One faction declaring war on another, or guaranteeing a smaller nation (which we don't have, bythe way, except maybe Cedrica) as one would frequently see on BoBS, just doesn't happen here. Except of course when the leadership would decide so, but that's another story... Consequently, the board game aspect of the Guilds is a lot smaller (on the other hand, it got pretty high during the fourth challenge of Book II, led by the excellent @SkaForHire who you may know as one of BoBS's game masters). (This all also doesn't mean 'normal' members can't have a big impact on the storyline, even using private threads and such. We all know how close the Algus came to destroying the Guilds!)

* Following this last fact, there's no 'rush for land'. Even with the anniversary challenge, GoH isn't about expanding your empire, as is the Age of Discovery centered BoBS. Intrafactionwise, only Avalonia has a tradition with every member claiming a certain territory, but this too has been abolished for Book III. Of course, a lot of people are Lords (of just residents) of a certain city or region, but they don't have a zone of control. Even more so, Nocturnian cartographers are known for not caring about exact locations of important locations... Interfactionally, the above-mentioned diplomatic actions between factions, as determined by the leadership (of course with participation of the guild members etc), sometimes result in border conflicts (an excellent example here is the third challenge of Book II, where Avalonia and Mitgardia were at the edge of full-out war), but conquering pieces of other guilds or actual border change... No, I can't honestly remember having seen something like that (I'm not even sure whether something like that has happened in BoBS). Could an older member (@soccerkid6, or our beloved grand daddy ZCerberus) maybe confirm? Or wait, I just recalled something, hmmm... Let me look some things up, I'll get back to this in a few moments!

As you see, it will take a bit of time beforing getting to know all the lore amassed throughout years of building or the more subtle differences (of which @Henjin_Quilones has already mentioned some), but I hope this can get you started!

EDIT: I have found it :grin: At the start of the fourth challenge of Book II, Ska posted a little resumée of the main points of view of the three different sides, which can be found here (under the list of challenge preludes). When one looks to the second row, last column, one can see that the DK has promised the island of Esterbroke to the Avalonian guild (if you don't know where this is: on this map, its the island right south of the Mystic Isles). And considering the fact that this same DK has come out of the Kali civil war as the most powerful of the three, I think we have a first border change ever!!! :devil_laugh: May the Dragon ever expand - or wait, am I talking BoBS language now?

Edited by TitusV

5 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

The gameplay aspect of BoBS is absent from GoH, though. Here, belonging to a particular faction does not really mean anything for the end outcome of the story, the world, or you, beyond that it gives you something to belong to and feel proud of, somewhere to call home. GoH is laid back, casual, and friendly, a place to come to share castle/medieval fantasy builds and get critique without being stressed about producing something for points or victory.

With this in mind, would it really matter how large or small a Guild is?  It seems there could be an imbalance in the number of participants in each guild without an imbalance in gameplay, which would mean that there should be no issue with having all 5 Guilds open as far as I can tell.

Hi! Niku reporting for duty.
Avalonia for the Win!!

Will update Arfelan fig and story once the book 3 starts.
Very excited to see what is coming! :sweet:

Seems to me like most of the differences between BoBS and GoH have been nailed already!  But just to recap, GoH is much more relaxed, less game oriented, more build-improvement oriented.  A great place to improve your skills!

What everyone else said :grin:

Kai pretty much nailed it - the big difference is that the Guilds are basically community-driven (we're here to hang out, tell our stories, get feedback from each other, and improve while we're at it), whereas BoBS has much more gameplay involved.  GoH doesn't have any complicated rules lists or anything to keep track of - if you've learned a little bit about each Guild and what they're like, you're pretty much good to go! :classic:

CHAPTER 0:

Heading Home

Nolana hoisted the bag over her shoulders.  Though they didn't have much,  Ferenice had made sure to pack extra medicines and an old throw in there with the food.  She smiled.  Ferenice was always like that.  Despite the fact that Nolana was her apprentice, Ferenice had always treated her more like a younger sister than a student.  And they might have become sisters, if it wasn't for what happened.

Nolana frowned and pushed the memories away.  She looked at the hidden clearing in the Nocturnus forest and sighed.  This is where they've lived for over a year since they ran away.  And while it was never safe where they were, recent events have made Nocturnus even more dangerous, and Ferenice had insisted that Nolana return home.

Nolana picked up her walking stick and started towards the small hovel where they kept Daegal, followed by little Korbin who ambled after her.  She saw that Ferenice was already there waiting for her.  As Nolana approached the hovel, she could hear the menacing moans emanating from within.

43545602152_1944191337_c.jpg

'I don't have to leave,' Nolana started, as she stopped in front of Ferenice.

'I'll have none of that 'Lana,' Ferenice interrupted.  'I've already asked too much of you.  This isn't your burden to bear.  In fact, I should have never let you help me'

'But,' Nolana started again.

'No,' Ferenice smiled.  'I'm the one who used the book, not you.  I can't return, but the villagers will understand and take you back.'

29722466108_5b85c38977_c.jpg

A loud groan came from inside the hovel.

'I'll take care of him,' Ferenice said, glancing first at the hovel and then at Nolana.  'You know I never meant for things to turn out like this, and I'm truly sorry things couldn't work out for you.  But you can trust me to do everything I can for him.'

'I know and I've made my peace,' Nolana replied.  'About the villagers, though...I'm not sure.'

28705067077_98a52abc92_c.jpg

'It won't be easy,' conceded Ferenice.  'You'll have to earn their trust.  Perhaps Esther can help.  She's always looked up to you.'

The thought of her youngest sister, Esther, made Nolana smile.  She had missed her family terribly, and it would be good to see them again.  But she was scared that they would reject her after all that had happened.

'Go,' Ferenice nudged.  'Nocturnus is no longer safe for you.  Consider this your last lesson from me.  Go back and help the villagers.  They'll need it, no matter how much they distrust you.'

Her teacher was right.  Esther was not yet an acolyte when Ferenice and her fled.  The village had lost both its priestesses in a single moment.

Nolana nodded and held back the tears as she embraced Ferenice one last time.  Then she faced away from the clearing and started walking with little Korbin by her side.  Home, Nolana thought to herself.  I'm going home.

Spoiler

43545600822_7c45c83425_c.jpg

28705056907_352ac81cb3_c.jpg

This is the introduction of my character into the world of HIstorica.  I've been thinking about joining Historica for a while, but for one reason or another, I didn't take the plunge.  With Book III coming up, however, I decided that I no longer have an excuse not to join.  I have not chosen a guild yet, and am waiting for more information about Book III before committing.

I've altered my form of storytelling, which I think fits the atmosphere of Historica better.  It was inspired by reading @LucByard's stories in Andromeda's Gates.

As always, I appreciate all comments and criticisms.

A lovely intro for sure! Really liking the build, the only thing I can think of is to round the upper corners of the door, but everything else is top-notch Nocty!

So I'll throw my lot in with Avalonia again but with a different sigfig.

Abrecan Foxley;

He is the leader of the smiths of Hamanne. 

Abrecan Foxley

This guild of smiths helps rule the river city of Hamanne and helps supply the forces of Avalonia with high quality steel. 

Known for its plentiful watermills and water side residences, Hamanne looks to expand its influence outside of Avalonia. Expanding its trading network through out the guilds and bedecking the city in the wealth it acquires. 

Abrecan is konwn for his negotiating skills and has sped up production of weapons and armour using the power of the waterwheel.

His money and influence gain many things for the people. But is he acquiring to much power? 

Edited by cablefoxley
Spelling

Lord Nar Bilu is discussing with his Son Bran wether He would retire or fight for Avalonia one more time... Bran will go to Barqa to investigate other possibilities...

@pombe Great intro, and I hope you find a guild that suits you. You are of course most welcome in Avalonia, but allow me to argue on behalf of two other guilds rather than my own. First, Kaliphlin has a long border with Nocturnus, and would make sense with the story you just presented, and the darker skin tone of Ferenice would fit quite well there in the southern sun; I think they fit best of the four continental guilds. Second, Varlyrio would also be a fun option, for several reasons that I can think of off the top of my head: i. you can build whatever you want and be one of the pioneers of creating a brand-new guild culture - there is very little prior background to hold you in check in your creativity; ii. Varlyrians were pretty involved in the Nocturnus civil war, which would give your characters reason to be in Nocty, as well as a reason to dread going back; and iii. the new guild needs members! Whatever you choose, I'm glad to see you over here in GoH!

@cablefoxley and @KevinyWu, great looking figs and glad to see you back in Avalonia!

@narbilu Avalonia would love to keep you, but if you feel a stirring to explore other lands, we won't hold you back! But if you stay, excellent!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the kind words.

@TitusV Thanks so much for the suggestion!  I agree, looking at it that the door should have been rounded at the top.  Somethings seem so obvious once someone else points it out, but for some reason I don't notice it during the building process.

@Henjin_Quilones Thanks for the breakdown of the guilds (what happened to Mitgardia?).  I purposefully wrote the introduction to be guild agnostic so I could be flexible, and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write how my character's introduction would play into the guilds.  I admit that I am still trying to catch up on the history of events.  I am looking forward to reading more about the Varlyrians, since there doesn't seem to be much written about them. 

2 hours ago, pombe said:

Thanks for the breakdown of the guilds (what happened to Mitgardia?). 

You could go Mitgardia, too! I was not deliberately slighting them, I was merely suggesting that based on your story your characters would seem to fit nicely into Kali or Varlyrio. Each of the guilds that will be playable in Book III should have a new page up on August 1st, including Varlyrio, which will certainly be the best place to browse what seems best for you. And @Kai NRG's short history a page before yours in this thread is a pretty good breakdown of the basic background info you need (though you are welcome to spend days reading up on the lore if that suits you, too!). 

Good to see all these new-old members back! Some great figs there :thumbup: 

Narbilu, you'll always be welcome in Avalonia, but if you're longing to another guild, we won't hold you back :wink: 

The holy Order of the Knights of Octan fights for Kaliphlin.

zhxkz3wk.jpg

Edited by Brickwolf

I really liked when multiple Classic Castles members posted their posters in flickr with slogans like

"Avalonia wants you!" and so on. 

Perhaps something we could do for GOH book 3?

19 hours ago, de Gothia said:

I really liked when multiple Classic Castles members posted their posters in flickr with slogans like

"Avalonia wants you!" and so on. 

Perhaps something we could do for GOH book 3?

Sure, count me in!

So I’ve pretty much decided on joining Varlyrio for book III (sorry Avalonia). I haven’t been able to find any official colours although dark red seems to be a common theme. Is that it or do I have to wait for the guild thread for more information? Is a bear sigil too mitgardian to be used in Varlyrio?

The colors of the Guild of Varlyrio are white and gold. As for a bear, you'd have to confirm with @Rogue Angel, but if it was just your personal emblem I can see no problem with that. Any sigil could be used anywhere, I think, as long as it was just for your character - some are just more suited for certain areas than others (like lions for Kali, for example). 

But we're sad to see you leaving Avalonia so soon!

Welcome, pompe!  Nice intro!

Zlatan, sorry to lose you from Avalonia, but glad to see quality builders headed to Varlyrio!

And as ZG goes, so do I. Unfortunately I will leave the plentiful lands of Avalonia for an interesting unknown life. But I am sure that my Character will still have many journeys to the land of Green. I will post my character and his back story soon. 

@ZlatanXVIGustaf  I look forward to working out this new land with you. I am sure we will have many adventures :thumbup:.

Thanks Henjin! The bear sigil is for my sigfig.

I will miss Avalonia but it’s very intriguing with a new and almost unbuilt guild.

@The Maestro I suspected that you’d do the same:laugh:, I’m looking forward to it too!