Rogue Angel

GoH Book III

3 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised we aren't seeing more activity in general. I'm working on something, but it won't be ready til closer to the end of the month.

Wouldn't surprise me if many of us are waiting for things to restart on August 1 and get the lay of the land so to speak prior to building. I'm hoping to update my sigfig and get pics taken this weekend.

4 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised we aren't seeing more activity in general. I'm working on something, but it won't be ready til closer to the end of the month.

I’m on holiday until the first week of August. I can imagine I’m not the only one.

Besides that, I still am considering changing guild. Awaiting details on what the scenario will be in Book III.

53 minutes ago, narbilu said:

I’m on holiday until the first week of August. I can imagine I’m not the only one.

I'd bet you're right.  The forums in general have been pretty dead recently.  Even the Town forum, which seems to have a lot of traffic, has been dragging lately.  I think once school starts again, people will be back from vacation.

14 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Wouldn't surprise me if many of us are waiting for things to restart on August 1 and get the lay of the land so to speak prior to building. I'm hoping to update my sigfig and get pics taken this weekend.

Yeah, this is the other side of it. Everybody wants to know what Book 3 is even going to look like before committing. But I'm still surprised there aren't more freebuilds.

Will make an updated intro pic at some point but I can say Puvel stays loyal to Mitgardia.

Iv stopped working on a few mocs I was doing, as I'm waiting to see what book 3 will be about. Most of the others are doing the same.

Maybe we should have a quick comp to liven things up. Deadline August 1st.

What about everyone does a quick 12 x 12 scene with their new or updated sigfig?

Some people already have done it so they should be included. 

Winner gets a title or something as a prize. 

11 minutes ago, cablefoxley said:

Iv stopped working on a few mocs I was doing, as I'm waiting to see what book 3 will be about. Most of the others are doing the same.

Maybe we should have a quick comp to liven things up. Deadline August 1st.

What about everyone does a quick 12 x 12 scene with their new or updated sigfig?

Some people already have done it so they should be included. 

Winner gets a title or something as a prize. 

I like that idea, especially 12 x 12, because it fits in with the Summer Joust. :P And as for a prize or title, I say some special role or title or ownership of land in Book 3. Or maybe not a prize at all, just have it to keep up activity.

Edited by TheLordOfBricks

We are hashing out the specifics with Book III right now.  We have discussed pretty much everything that you guys have been touching on, with the added perspective of knowing A.) how things have gone on behind the scenes with the Guilds through the first 2 Books, B.) How we can make each Guild work logistically, C) How each Guild can work into the over-arcing storyline, and D.) How much interest each Guild has had historically.  For both of the Books, Nocturnus has had 2/3 of the participation in discussion than the other 3 guilds (As you can see right now from Book II), and less than 2/3 the participation in builds.

Varlyrio is a major opportunity for builders to join in at the ground floor for the Guild, OR start over with an entirely new build concept OR get in to a guild that is a little more buildable given the current set and minifig selections available.  One of the key considerations for Varlyrio is how to incorporate readily available minifigure parts from current, or very recent sets, as you will see shortly (Aug 1st?)

It always takes people a while to build freebuilds.  It is not surprising that we haven't seen that much build activity yet.  We have seen very few new sigfigs, even though that was suggested as part of declaring Guild allegiance in this thread.  ( I know that some people are waiting to see how the Guilds change, but most people have been sticking with their previous guilds thus far).  Also, I have yet to see anyone provide a summary of the Guild lore up to this point, which was a challenge presented in the first post of this thread.

Age of Mitgardia is still active.

Historican Settlement Challenge is still open, as are the Avalonian Tasks for Avalonians, and non-Avalonians are free to complete these as well (As shown in the Avalonia thread).

More mini-challenges coming shortly...

Forgive me for being new to the game aspect of this, but in what way does the amount of participation impact the gameplay?

Some of the challenges can go one direction or another in the story, and usually the side with the greatest number of builds will win out, and thus drive the story that way.

10 hours ago, x105Black said:

Forgive me for being new to the game aspect of this, but in what way does the amount of participation impact the gameplay?

Gameplay is largely driven by builds, but participation is critical to keeping people interested in Guilds.  The interaction on the threads is one of the driving factors in staying involved with a Guild. 

The Guilds are a balance between promoting Guilds builds, and promoting Guild member and Historica interaction.  Without one, we don't have the other, and then we aren't much different than Flickr.  Our member interaction has set us apart from other similar forums outside of EB. 

BoBs is much more gameplay and rules oriented, but GoH is not BoBs, and we don't want it to become BoBs.  Member interaction and participation is one of our main focuses.

I was definitely hoping someone would expand on my very poor summary of the Guild Lore. I was only around for Book 2 and it's been years since I back-read all of the old GoH threads and storylines. That was a monumental task in the first place and I believe it might be impossible now due to changes to the forums and archiving. I hope someone with an encyclopedia for a brain can provide a summary that satisfies our esteemed leadership.

5 minutes ago, mccoyed said:

I was definitely hoping someone would expand on my very poor summary of the Guild Lore. I was only around for Book 2 and it's been years since I back-read all of the old GoH threads and storylines. That was a monumental task in the first place and I believe it might be impossible now due to changes to the forums and archiving. I hope someone with an encyclopedia for a brain can provide a summary that satisfies our esteemed leadership.

After having spent the last few hours rabbit trailing in an attempt to wrap my mind around a lore that confused me in the first place, I can second the part about an encyclopedia for a brain! :laugh:  However, the title appeals to me, so we shall see if I can make something out of the muddle of notes that I've collected! 

So, I've certainly been less active lately, but I finally took the time to read this thread and get caught up a bit on the comings and goings here.  I would really love to be more involved in GoH again.  The biggest thing that has decreased my interest include the lack of progression lately, which seems to be addressed and headed in the right direction (Z, terribly sorry to hear about your mother--I'm glad life seems to be turning around for you again, and I'm looking forward to your future builds, including more from Project M?)  I also moved this year, which means a dedicated hobby room, so I finally have a proper place to build (yay!) but until we get a bit more organized, my Lego table is dominated by my wife's sewing projects (boo!).  My son who will be 5 soon is also turning into a MOCer, which means any builds I start tend to get altered several times.  Since my wife likes to call me Lord Business anytime I get too upset about it, I usually let him play with my builds, which usually means I'm not overly productive when it comes to building.  However, I'm hoping that once Book 3 launches it'll motivate me to finish hanging shelves (including some out-of-a-5-year-olds-reach WIP shelves) and organizing the hobby room so I can get back to building.  I have an almost finished build that keeps getting nexo knighted by my son, as well as an accompanying story that I'd like to post sometime soon.

Anyway, I'll be returning to Avalonia, with a new SigFig for Book 3.  I'm very excited to see what the leaders have planned.  Just to throw in my two cents, I'm pleased to see that the leadership for Book 3 is being selected in the way that it is.  I would also fear strong personalities coming in and changing the direction of things, especially in the case of Varlyrio, and the discovery of new lands.  One thing I really liked was how Mitgardia did the Algus challenge with several members helping with builds and story, as did Kaliphlin with their Challenge IV? prelude builds.  I think that kind of thing may be a good idea to prevent leaders from getting overwhelmed by everything.  I also think that having someone like Z overlooking things, without directly leading a guild, but instead planning and managing, while delegating tasks to the guild leaders, is a good idea as well.

While I understand the desire to close Nocturnus, I would personally be against it.  The Desert King's victory was won in no small part due to Nocturnus builders, so while they may not be as active in their chat, they are most certainly influential.

On the topic of GoH getting official sets, and trying to get a designer into the guilds, or a guild member to become a designer, as I understand it, Avalonian member Rolli actually is a set designer these days.  That being said, I really don't think we would ever get a set, but hope that eventually we will get another castle theme.  Maybe a LOTR series reboot (similar to the Harry Potter reboot) to accompany the upcoming series?

I'm almost done rambling now, so to conclude, I'm glad the guild is doing things the way they are right now.  Yes, GoH is very inactive currently, but rushing into new things would be the wrong way to fix it.  I'm satisfied with waiting for everything to be ironed out before launching Book 3, and I trust the old leaders to put the GoH reigns into capable hands, just as the Book 1 leaders did.

(Sorry for the length of this post, and any spelling errors, my English spell checker doesn't seem to be working.)

It's good to know that Avalonia task 4 will be ongoing. I'll restart building on one or two of my mocs. 

I'll third what mccoyed and kai say about putting all the lore of goh together. Alot of the story seems spread out and squirreled away in places. 

I think to get this done it'll have to be a group effort. I'll help if others will. 

Here's my entry into the lore challenge:

The bard’s song tells a tale of a world long forgotten.

Race against race, clan against clan; shields clashed with swords, long ago when Men of the Lion fought Men of the Falcon, and human armies succumbed to Orcs and undead. Each group clashed with its neighbor for power, unleashing upon the world a great scourge. The arcadian land was thrown into chaos. When all seemed lost, a council of wise men and sages was summoned. From all the lands they came to convene in the old world’s greatest city: the fortress of Cedrica.

To settle the grievances and end a millennium of bloodshed, the sages declined all the treaties of old and joined the clans into one mighty Kingdom: Historica. They founded the Four Great Guilds – each one a realm in itself – Mitgardia in the North, Nocturnus in the East, Kaliphlin in the South, and Avalonia in the West, so that trade routes would spring up and clans would meet in the markets and not in the theatre of war. The wise men chose a family of great honor, to uphold the truce and to keep the four guilds from dispute, and descendants of that mighty kin ruled the central lands of Historica for decades. 

But darkness and chaos had only been thwarted, not conquered.  Magic was unleashed upon the land, magic that fell into the hands of Victor Revolword. Only in union did the Guilds find strength to defeat him and destroy the Elemental Helm that gave him power. Yet the struggle was not over, for out of the chaos magic had bred there arose a new threat: the Black Spire.

Ravaage the Terrible, of whom no man ever spoke save with bated breath and behind closed doors, ruled the darklands of Nocturnus with a rod of iron and resistance glowed only in scattered embers. Meanwhile Drow invaded Avalonia, Algus from the north swept into Mitgardia, and the resurrection of the ancient Desert King threw Kaliphlin into confusion. Slowly, the heroes of the Guilds realized the truth: the fire that fueled the powers of destruction and chaos throughout the land burnt deep in the heart of Nocturnus. There Ravaage sought for the ultimate power, the Necromancer’s Helm. Only by once again uniting, this time against Ravaage, could Historica be saved from ashes and the rule of the undead.

But who would unite the Guilds? The King had been slain by Revolword, his son murdered by Ravaage; no other family could command the respect of all the Guilds or ignite their loyalty and patriotism. Yet a rumor arose, a rumor of hope. An heir had appeared, under whose banner all who desired peace could unite. Heroes of Historica, rise up and fight the invader who brings discord to your realm!

And rise the heroes did. Throughout the land, in every corner, evil and chaos were subdued. Rivals pledged allegiance to the new, unknown King, and sallied forth to battle Ravaage together. Old jealousies were forgotten. Each man felt that it was the dawning of a new day for Historica.

By trickery, the mages of Historica defeated Ravaage and destroyed him, sealing the chamber of the Necromancer’s Helm forever. Leaderless, Ravaage’s army has crumbled, his plans and power vanished. Disorder remains, but the worst seems to be over. All eyes turn toward the throne of Cedrica, where the new monarch, Queen Ylspeth, reigns and rebuilds. Much needs to be resolved, many questions remain to be answered, but at last, Historica breaths free.

Guildsmen! This is the world you inhabit, this is the place where you will make your fortune, build a mighty empire, and battle for the glory and honor of the banner…

I'd be glad to take suggestions/critique if anyone thinks I missed something important but doesn't feel like writing their own. :wink:  And feel free to point out grammar/spelling errors if there are any!

That looks incredible, Kai!
I don't spot any important omissions, though the storyline was never my strong suit :laugh:

Fantastic work man, I feel like you really keep the flow gowing and the style of writing is consistant all the way through. My one critique is that maybe there should be a bit more on revolword, as it seems like you have kind of breezed over him. Otherwise well done :thumbup:

Awesome! Thanks for doing this, good to get caught up on the lore of GOH! I've been watching the builds, but I am just now getting into the storyline, so this is super helpful! :)

Thanks guys!

32 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

...My one critique is that maybe there should be a bit more on revolword, as it seems like you have kind of breezed over him...

Actually, I kind of feel the same, but I was having a tough time saying more without having to explain a lot of extra detail.  I'll give it some thought though!

On 7/20/2018 at 5:00 PM, Kai NRG said:

LOREGASM

I'd be glad to take suggestions/critique if anyone thinks I missed something important but doesn't feel like writing their own. :wink:  And feel free to point out grammar/spelling errors if there are any!

I like it. I think it's amazingly succinct.

20 minutes ago, cablefoxley said:

Very well written kai, flows nicely and clears things up for me. 

You should be an author. 

Why thank you!  I actually intend to be an author, in so far as I'm not one already. :laugh:

Hello, 
I've been active in that other rpg here, bobs for quit a while now, but around the brick seas where rumours with talks about a third book.
And although I'm not giving up on bobs, I'm interested enough to give the Guilds a go. 

I've no idea yet on which side to choose though :P or how the game works on land, any others who play both bobs and GoH who can give a quick run down of the simularities and differences I need to take into account?

Edited by Bart

5 hours ago, Bart said:

Hello, 
I've been active in that other rpg here, bobs for quit a while now, but around the brick seas where rumours with talks about a third book.
And although I'm not giving up on bobs, I'm interested enough to give the Guilds a go. 

I've no idea yet on which side to choose though :P or how the game works on land, any others who play both bobs and GoH who can give a quick run down of the simularities and differences I need to take into account?

Hi Bart, and welcome! While I do not play BoBS, I do have some degree of familiarity with the game, and plenty of familiarity with GoH. The similarities are that they both involve building things out of LEGO bricks, they both have challenges, and both have factions. The gameplay aspect of BoBS is absent from GoH, though. Here, belonging to a particular faction does not really mean anything for the end outcome of the story, the world, or you, beyond that it gives you something to belong to and feel proud of, somewhere to call home. GoH is laid back, casual, and friendly, a place to come to share castle/medieval fantasy builds and get critique without being stressed about producing something for points or victory. You can be as involved as you want to. For more detailed comparisons, someone like @Garmadon could probably be of more assistance.