Rogue Angel

GoH Book III

58 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Closing Nocturnus would be a real shame.

Remember though, people would still be free to have Nocturnian characters and build in Nocturnus; it's only that for scoring purposes, they'd have to declare allegiance to another guild.  So they'd participate in challenges, for instance, on one of the open guild's teams.

I think in the long run it could be good for Nocturnus to get a bit of a reset; this way if it gets opened again in the future it can start fresh without having a history of being the smallest guild.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, ZC.  It makes a lot more sense to me now and I completely understand not wanting a strong personality to dominate and ruin the fun for everyone else.  It sounds like there’s a good path to those who want to help with the guilds and are proven builders and players.

i would like to help more, but right now I’m in your boat with kids and work and can’t commit; I don’t want to jump in and then not be able to follow through.  I would rather focus on my building and contribute to GoH that way first, then when my time opens up, step in and help with logistics and whatever else I can.  

X105, the way I’m reading it, as others are saying, it sounds like your character can be in Novturnus, just there are too few people to support a win in guild competition right now, so they want you to support another guild for points, even if your builds are for Nocturnus.  Maybe you could choose who you want the points to go to and have more freedom that way.

Just my two cents, for what its worth (even though I've not been very active for the last few months).

* Even though my confidence was tried several times during the long waiting period for Book II's challenge, I still trust the leadership. I wouldn't need elections or so, but as someone else has already mentioned, its very important that there are enough leaders (to share the work etc) and I'd say that's why people are volunteering. Especially the surprise when a new challenge comes up, and the abilities for the community to shape the storylines are highly appreciated. Thanks guys :classic: 

* Closing Nocturnus is a pity, but I would understand it if necessary. On the other hand, I'm also feeling a bit concerned that the variation of styles in Valyrio is not as big as the Nocturnian range. Of course, there would still be possibility to build in the Darklands, but I really can't imagine people like Lord Vladivius or Blufiji swearing fealty to any other guild...

* I like that we are divided in guilds, for things like a scoring system as Book I possessed but also for some good old trashtalking (as they who know me will surely confirm my fondness of it :grin:)! Still, we're also united, as we've all got the same goal: developping Historica, fleshing out the world, ... I feel like in other games, for example BoBS (which I've enjoyed as well, don't get me wrong), the division is bigger than the unity, and that's a real pity IMHO. Hence, I don't feel the need for the things like a PM per guild (though of course, their use has been proven very well by things like the Algus Saga, so I can't say I don't want them).

That's about it, my apologies if I was ranting and you haven't understood anything about it! (I feel like my English gets worse instead of better)

After some thought, I think I can come to terms with Nocturnus being closed for participation in the main plot line. For following reasons/conditions:

1. We can still build in the Darklands, yay! This means current Nocturnians (and others) can continue fleshing out existing settlements, thereby strengthening the Nocturnian identity (@mccoyed ).
  2. It makes sense. Raavage, the Drow and the Algus, which had a tight grip on the Darklands - to greater or lesser extent - were defeated by the Resistance, but the dust hasn't settled. The new powers of Nocturnus haven't really taken the stage yet. 
  3. @ZCerberus I don't know what the plans are, but I see a potential to combine several entries of the Safe Haven contest with Valyrio as a capital. That would make Valyrio as diverse as Nocturnus, in it's own way. And it's also an acknowledgement/canonization of areas that have already been established for a bit. It may also add some biomes/architectural themes that are new to the Guilds. For example, derivatives of Meso-America, Polynesia and southern Africa.  

2 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

After some thought, I think I can come to terms with Nocturnus being closed for participation in the main plot line. For following reasons/conditions:

1. We can still build in the Darklands, yay! This means current Nocturnians (and others) can continue fleshing out existing settlements, thereby strengthening the Nocturnian identity (@mccoyed ).
  2. It makes sense. Raavage, the Drow and the Algus, which had a tight grip on the Darklands - to greater or lesser extent - were defeated by the Resistance, but the dust hasn't settled. The new powers of Nocturnus haven't really taken the stage yet. 
  3. @ZCerberus I don't know what the plans are, but I see a potential to combine several entries of the Safe Haven contest with Valyrio as a capital. That would make Valyrio as diverse as Nocturnus, in it's own way. And it's also an acknowledgement/canonization of areas that have already been established for a bit. It may also add some biomes/architectural themes that are new to the Guilds. For example, derivatives of Meso-America, Polynesia and southern Africa.  

Safe Haven will certainly come into play.  I also think some threads dropped by HQ and Titus in the last lore need some exploring.  I mean the Queen was outside of Historica for years- surely she's come across some other lands to explore- and what REALLY happened to her brother... I am not saying anything has been determined, just that I think there are some threads that were expertly left to be tugged and Safe Haven just so happens to fit into some of this.

Varlyrio certainly needs some fleshing out.  I hope that is an exciting prospect.

Yeah, I think about Yureishima and Nocturnus as potentially being similar. Yureishima won't be canonized as a Guild (and shouldn't be since its political divisions mimic the guild structure) but it still exists and can be built up even though it'll never be official. I half expected someone to say "whoa there with the Yureishima stuff, mccoyed" but no one did so I feel like it can exist in a non-Guild gray area alongside Varlyrio (up til now) and/or Nocturnus (if it is closed).

I also really like what we're saying about unity. Historica has reached a new moment, true, but the Guilds are more prone to in-fighting than fighting each other these last few years so I think it would be good to focus on each Guild's contributions to the greater Historica. With Nocturnus still wrapped up in its own turmoil, it makes sense that they are too chaotic to join the others in a new unity (yet). That means maybe a story reason for Nocturnus being closed is that its borders are being patrolled and secured to prevent its conflicts from spilling out into the other lands, like Cedrica or Kali. Maybe there's a joint task force created by the new queen to do peacekeeping/observation in Nocturnus to help it get back on its feet?

Here's a few questions:

1. Are there any builds of Varlyrio or is it unknown what it looks like? 

2. Should the amount of participants be as equal as possible between the guilds or is that not necesary?

I think any changes which spark a new interest for GoH building at this stage are good changes :classic:
That being said, I would not like to see more of the game move into PM threads. My experience with BoBS is that the faction thread is almost dead and that the real communication goes on in a number of PM threads instead, but only for us in the same faction...
PM is still great go coordinate surprises or collabs in general of course, but
not as the place where the majority of the talk goes on.

58 minutes ago, Gideon said:

PM is still great go coordinate surprises or collabs in general of course, but not as the place where the majority of the talk goes on.

Yep, I agree here.  Let the group PMs be a BoBS and AG thing, GoH isn't so much of a strategy game, so we don't really need perpetual PMs.

2 hours ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Here's a few questions:

1. Are there any builds of Varlyrio or is it unknown what it looks like? 

2. Should the amount of participants be as equal as possible between the guilds or is that not necesary?

1. Yes, there has been a little, including, of course, the original Varlyrio thread/concept.  Here's the original thread, sadly the images don't appear to be working.  A few other builds however: (1) (2)(3)(4)  And check out the entries to this Varlyrio mini-challenge.  Well don't look at mine too hard, it doesn't flatter my building skills (boy was that a long time ago...)

2. It would be nice, and we'd like for initial interest to be pretty well spread out, but of course it's not something we can ultimately control.

Valyrio will have the same background/concept art/Resident examples as the other 4 guilds did when they started. Variety will NOT be an issue.

Knowing that Varlyrio will offer a lot of diversity (and it probably could be expanded or changed to offer more variety as @Exetrius said) I think opening a new guild could refresh the guilds, and also add more lf a naval aspect to the guilds. I like the sound of a new guild, and I would love to flesh it out.

Maybe if we are talking about unity, Nocturnus can be more of a stage for tasks. For example "build a moc showing your people helping rebuild Nocturnus". If that makes sense.

Edited by The Maestro
Reason for edit: The message below

I see so many people misspelling the fifth guild's name. Varlyrio = Var - ly - ri - o! Get the correct spelling, then tell your spellcheck to add it to the dictionary.

6 hours ago, Gideon said:

I think any changes which spark a new interest for GoH building at this stage are good changes :classic:
That being said, I would not like to see more of the game move into PM threads. My experience with BoBS is that the faction thread is almost dead and that the real communication goes on in a number of PM threads instead, but only for us in the same faction...
PM is still great go coordinate surprises or collabs in general of course, but
not as the place where the majority of the talk goes on.

Seconded, absolutely agreed on!

3 hours ago, The Maestro said:

@gedren_yHaha I plead guilty as charged :laugh:

You're not alone, I fear :grin: 

I don't think the goal of change should be to make it like something else- I mean all of those other games are fun and cool too, but they tried to be like us to some degree.  I think like a good RTS or RPG video game our goal when the sequel comes out is to take what was done well and amp it up, add a few new features, but not lose what makes it a classic at its core!.

Sure we experiment a little, fight new villians, have new heroes- but right now what is really missing more than anything is... the sequel itself!  We need a few more talented programmers.

The last game had a few bugs... the fifth act drug a little to get started... we tried a minigame which was fun but too involved... we didn't judge all the side quests yet... but we're working on things to iron them out with some of your feedback.  I feel like a famous someone when I say, "Make the Guilds great again!" (FYI not an endorsement of that person, just getting in on the slogan!)

The good thing about this thread is that we can see GoH is still alive and everyone is eager to start again... good luck with prepping Book III

Edited by narbilu

I am hoping that there will be a new threat to all of Historica that the guilds must work together to defeat.

How does one pronounce the latest V-named guild?  I think that Game of Thrones with Valyria has really taken over in my mind.  I find that some of the names are difficult for me to wrap my mind around.  Avalonia, Mitgardia and Nocturnus work well for me.  Kaliphlin I want to call Kaliphin, and Varlyrio or however you spell it I want to call Valyrio (pronounced Vuh-Larry-oh in my mind, but maybe it's Var-lie-ree-oh?  I dunno).

I also agree about not getting into too much PM stuff.  I think you lose a lot that way on the forums, and this game seems to be about collaborative storytelling through builds, which is appealing to me.

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

1. Yes, there has been a little, including, of course, the original Varlyrio thread/concept.  Here's the original thread, sadly the images don't appear to be working.  A few other builds however: (1) (2)(3)(4)  And check out the entries to this Varlyrio mini-challenge.  Well don't look at mine too hard, it doesn't flatter my building skills (boy was that a long time ago...)

2. It would be nice, and we'd like for initial interest to be pretty well spread out, but of course it's not something we can ultimately control.

Thanks! That style is very interesting. 

Can't see the images in the Varlyrio thread?? I'm on mobile, I tried the desktop page but that doesn't solve it. :sceptic:

Edited by Exetrius

21 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

Can't see the images in the Varlyrio thread?? I'm on mobile, I tried the desktop page but that doesn't solve it. :sceptic:

Not up yet.  Solving 1 last issue.

15 hours ago, ZCerberus said:

I think like a good RTS or RPG video game our goal when the sequel comes out is to take what was done well and amp it up, add a few new features, but not lose what makes it a classic at its core!.

Sure we experiment a little, fight new villians, have new heroes- [...]

Make Historica great again! :angel_sing:

17 hours ago, Grover said:

I am hoping that there will be a new threat to all of Historica that the guilds must work together to defeat.

How does one pronounce the latest V-named guild?  I think that Game of Thrones with Valyria has really taken over in my mind.  I find that some of the names are difficult for me to wrap my mind around.  Avalonia, Mitgardia and Nocturnus work well for me.  Kaliphlin I want to call Kaliphin, and Varlyrio or however you spell it I want to call Valyrio (pronounced Vuh-Larry-oh in my mind, but maybe it's Var-lie-ree-oh?  I dunno).

I also agree about not getting into too much PM stuff.  I think you lose a lot that way on the forums, and this game seems to be about collaborative storytelling through builds, which is appealing to me.

Var-leer-ee-oh. Kal-if-lin. That's how I say 'em. :P

Oh man how did I miss this? Well, still sort of on time but almost a month later :/ wow. 

I will still be fighting for the glory of Mitgardia, ofcourse, still with Alfadas Mandredson. Pic soon (tm)

So just to clear my muddled mind, will the guilds remain the same, with Varlyrio staying closed, or has it not been decided yet?