CopMike

Powered Up FAQ and Community Wishes

17 hours ago, Phoxtane said:

Was there any community discussion/consultation prior to developing PU, as there was with Power Functions?

I have been asking this for months. 

Can anyone point me to information about the Power Functions development, I'm sure I read it on Eurobricks.

I have tried searching but not sure what words to use. Power Functions is too broad.

I think the best source is the development of Boost. PU is in fact the same as Boost as we have unraveled together of course.

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

I think the best source is the development of Boost. PU is in fact the same as Boost as we have unraveled together of course.

@JopieK

I guess @technic70s is asking for input on how was "PF unfolding" - to be able to compare with how is "Boost/PU unfolding" - as TLG sees it.

How did PF materialize? Was it: "So, here is PF, what are you guys gonna do with it?" Or was it: "Here is PF. This is what you can do with it."

For me, this is a bit of difference, because it may potentially change the way of "interacting" with TLG. Oh well, "inter"action in a more or less one way direction of course:wink:.

Best,
Thorsten   

10 hours ago, Toastie said:

@JopieK

I guess @technic70s is asking for input on how was "PF unfolding" - to be able to compare with how is "Boost/PU unfolding" - as TLG sees it.

How did PF materialize? Was it: "So, here is PF, what are you guys gonna do with it?" Or was it: "Here is PF. This is what you can do with it."

For me, this is a bit of difference, because it may potentially change the way of "interacting" with TLG. Oh well, "inter"action in a more or less one way direction of course:wink:.

Best,
Thorsten   

Yes I'm asking how PF 1.0 was designed, I'm sure I read about AFOL's being involved as consultants on the system for what it needed. 

Wasn't it started with the XL motor in the Emerald Night.

Every time I see zephyr1934 post I have a feeling he had something to do with it. My memory ant what it used to be.

Now THAT'S interesting. I wonder how many Hubs can be connected to a single remote? How many "channels" to switch between? 

And I suppose the reverse too, how many Remotes can be paired with a single Hub? 

Has anyone tried pairing a remote with a Boost Hub? 

Edited by Mr Hobbles

11 hours ago, sed6 said:

This was posted in another thread. Hispabrick Magazine has a video on their FB page showing the pairing process. Looks like we can pair one controller to at least 2, possibly 4 different receivers. 

https://m.facebook.com/hispabrickmagazine/videos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=1

Thanks for sharing that - very interesting.

The main feature I was hoping for from the new PU Bluetooth system was the ability to control multiple trains from a single PU controller - good to have that confirmed.

If I recall correctly from @JopieK‘s cargo train review, there are 5 colour coded controller/receiver pairing options. Couple that with two channels per receiver and you should be able to control up to 10 trains with one controller if you want to

Maybe already mentioned in another thread but the same lights are coming back with the Boost/Powered Up Hub.  See DunksterBricks live build of 60197 on his YouTube channel near the end of the video.  At about 2:03:22.   Was seriously worried about those lights not coming back.  Hope some other stuff does as well.

Edited by Vilhelm22

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Maybe already mentioned in another thread but the same lights are coming back with the Boost/Powered Up Hub.  See DunksterBricks live build of 60197 on his YouTube channel near the end of the video.  At about 2:03:22.   Was seriously worried about those lights not coming back.  Hope some other stuff does as well.

Very well spotted. Also glad to to hear.

Also Brickset got some box art for the upcoming app controlled Batmobile, which shows the same Hub/Battery Box as the train, as well as two WeDo 2.0 Medium Motors. Good to see them getting a general release.

The LPF2 range is slowly starting to get fleshed out. :) 

Will the polarity switch or something similar return?  Exactly the same lights are, so it would make sense.

Edited by Vilhelm22

4 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Will the polarity switch or something similar return?  Exactly the same lights are, so it would make sense.

Unless there’s the ability to stack more than train motor on an output (which is unlikely) there won’t be a need for a polarity switch.

18 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I suspect there won't be a need in most cases.

It seems to me that Lego's only reason for including a remote is to help those who don't have a phone or tablet.

Bluetooth apps can be far more can do what we want far more flexibly, including running one motor in reverse in sync with the first.

Either Lego releases a more sophisticated train control app or the community does. Thankfully with this new system what the community can do is limitless, we can far outdo the official apps if we want. :)

Edited by Mr Hobbles

19 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Well spotted, how is it that people have had copies for weeks and haven't noticed this.

29127161828_f280d950f6_n.jpgLights by Stephen, on Flickr

On 6/22/2018 at 5:06 AM, technic70s said:

Yes I'm asking how PF 1.0 was designed, I'm sure I read about AFOL's being involved as consultants on the system for what it needed. 

Wasn't it started with the XL motor in the Emerald Night.

Every time I see zephyr1934 post I have a feeling he had something to do with it. My memory ant what it used to be.

Nope nope nope, they never shared anything secret with me when I was an ambassador. Mark Bellis was involved in the PF development though. I can not quickly find a link where he specifically mentioned that, but here's one where he alludes to it.

9 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

I suspect there won't be a need in most cases.

It seems to me that Lego's only reason for including a remote is to help those who don't have a phone or tablet.

Bluetooth apps can be far more can do what we want far more flexibly, including running one motor in reverse in sync with the first.

Either Lego releases a more sophisticated train control app or the community does. Thankfully with this new system what the community can do is limitless, we can far outdo the official apps if we want. :)

Writing your own apps may be the better way to go in some situations.  :wink:

14 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Nope nope nope, they never shared anything secret with me when I was an ambassador. Mark Bellis was involved in the PF development though. I can not quickly find a link where he specifically mentioned that, but here's one where he alludes to it.

Now I look at Marks photo, yes that is who I have read stuff posted by. Thanks :-)

I know this is off topic to the post intention, but there is lots of good discussion here.

At the risk of scaring off LEGO with third parties, I think releasing their protocol would be great for companies like Sbrick, and BuWizz. I have invested a fair amount into Sbrick and very much like their solution and the profile designer. It'd be perfect if those profiles could then run both LEGO PU and Sbrick. at the moment im on the fence determining if ill have to abandon one for the other. If I can run all my "old" PF stuff from an Sbrick and buy into the new PU system and have them work in harmony that'd be my perfect solution.

On 6/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Do we have any idea when the individual Powered Up parts will become available?

Excellent question

Will we get + and - converter cables?  Unlike previously, Boost/WeDo 2.0/PUis more of a socket type thing.

3 hours ago, JopieK said:

LEGO added FAQ's to the trains: 
https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/city/faq-train (thanks @Dirk1313 for mentioning it ;))

They say you can run 10 separate trains at once with one remote, or I suppose 10 different powered items, but then that doesn't seem to make sense as theygo on to say as long as one train in in port A and the other in port B of the same battery box, that seems impossible as it would have to be connected to the train in port A.

Is it possible they mean that two receivers, one with only port A plugged in and one with only port B plugged in, could be run at the same time thus creating the "10 trains with one remote"