zux

[MOC] House in Vilnius

I while ago I've posted my first modulars here on EB. Time passed and this resulted in getting more interest in this kind of MOCs (previously I've been building Technic only).

Initial three modulars have been built in quite short period of time for me. This didn't allow perfecting them as I would wish. And quite an investment in bricks (as it latter turned out). My Office modular has been rebuilt several times and even got highlighted to be an inspirational build. This might deserve a separate topic. However I was always fond of another modular I didn't build up to desired level. I mean a house in Vilnius I like a lot. Initially it was constructed to be just close enough.

Fortunately my LUGBLUK order came some time last year and with some free time and few more BL orders I got to rebuild almost entire modular. I might get some details updated as new parts become available, but I consider it is in final state now.

Fun facts:

Facade is built from plates, to remind the tiles found on original building. Roof contains more than 900 cheese slopes! Grass is also built with cheese slopes. There are couple of elements placed with 0.25 stud offset, which a pain to figure out.

Story of an original building taken from openhousevilnius.lt:

Original house has been built in 1911-1913 in a group of other 22 building, which were terraced into three groups of townhouses to form a perimeter block. The concept for the construction of townhouses – called colonies – was an unprecedented phenomenon in Lithuania that was ahead of its time; its emergence was prompted by the prominent social activist, philanthropist and director of the Land Bank, Juozapas Montvila (Józef Montwiłł).

With this project, Montvila aspired to further promote the living environment reform that he had conceived: fully designing and building a closed townhouse community with an internal garden – a refuge from the turmoil of the world. This is how the goal of promoting cost-effective construction techniques without impinging on housing comfort and aesthetics was carried out.

Having miraculously survived two World Wars, escaped oblivion, and accumulated a noble historical memory inside it, the site is one of the most interesting examples of rethinking the idea of residential housing to this day.

This Art Nouveau pearl tucked away in the very heart of the city.

41953075415_f6ab0f724a_c.jpg

41953075195_bb176a34b0_c.jpg

41042825640_fc0fe358ee_c.jpg

This Flickr folder includes some older version pics.

Very nice looking building. The cheese slopes make great looking roof tiles and also create effective texture on the grass/foliage at the base of the building. Good work. :classic:

A complete model. You've faithfully recreated this Lithuanian little beauty! A thing I noticed (don't know if intentional) is the fact the tower over to the left feels slimmer, more striking, more "juvenile" than the real one. I love it, and the topping is very beautiful.

Beautiful building. The accuracy of the details is incredible and the proportions are surprisingly precise, something that is not an easy feat with the limitations of the Lego system.

While you've recreated it's shape and details remarkably, I feel you've missed the mark on the colour palette. While the brickwork would've been nice in dark orange, I concede that it's an expensive colour and in has limited part availability, however the stonework would have been better in tan and dark tan to highlight the age and weathering. I'd also like to see the roof in dark brown, possibly mottled with reddish brown. Some potted plants on the lower window ledges would also soften the otherwise harsh colours too.

Wonderful job either way, the attention to detail is impeccable, and I hope to see more like it.

6 hours ago, paupadros said:

A complete model. You've faithfully recreated this Lithuanian little beauty! A thing I noticed (don't know if intentional) is the fact the tower over to the left feels slimmer, more striking, more "juvenile" than the real one. I love it, and the topping is very beautiful.

Yeah, the left most "tower" is little narrow compared to original. This is because MOC has been built to fit the standard 32 stud baseplate. It wouldn't be possible to build entire face in desired proportion without sacrificing other (existing features). 

1 hour ago, pinioncorp said:

Beautiful building. The accuracy of the details is incredible and the proportions are surprisingly precise, something that is not an easy feat with the limitations of the Lego system.

While you've recreated it's shape and details remarkably, I feel you've missed the mark on the colour palette. While the brickwork would've been nice in dark orange, I concede that it's an expensive colour and in has limited part availability, however the stonework would have been better in tan and dark tan to highlight the age and weathering. I'd also like to see the roof in dark brown, possibly mottled with reddish brown. Some potted plants on the lower window ledges would also soften the otherwise harsh colours too.

Wonderful job either way, the attention to detail is impeccable, and I hope to see more like it.

Woah, that's a lot of feedback, which I miss most of the time with my MOCs. Thanks for time it took you to type all of this!

Colours are hard indeed. I'm still a bit on the edge if I should have opted for dark orange instead, but in reality original house isn't very close to dark orange either. It is mixture between both dark orange and dark red. On the other hand there aren't some essential parts in dark orange for the facade. Other colours didn't match as good as these two.

Ah, the roof! I wish I lived several decades earlier to observe this house in a better shape. It has been for sale for several years now and has been maintained for quite some time. Under the layer of mold and oxidation roof might be be actually closer to dark orange, than any shade of brown. I wonder if it would look better built with black cheese slopes? That's the only colour I have sufficient enough to cover entire top until I get to find some other colours in PAB.

Looks much more convincing than the first version! I especially love the way you used the cheese slopes, both on the roof and on the foliage. However, I agree with @pinioncorp about the color scheme. And I'd personally have built this in a bit larger scale to capture some details in a more realistic way but you've done a great job capturing the essential look of the building in a such small scale! Also, I'd be quite interested in hearing @thomassio's opinions (I invite you to look at his Flickr photostream or to the spoilers below to understand why) if he wants to give (and you want to know) of course... Anyway, keep up the good work! :classic:

Spoiler

36286641846_b814aea3e3_c.jpgAachen by Utanapishtim, on Flickr36288426636_591eb23b34_c.jpgAachen by Utanapishtim, on Flickr

Spoiler

Awesome work - so many great uses of different pieces. It's very impressive! As others have said, I like the use of the sloping bricks for the grass / foliage.

Different colours (orange and tan) may have been slightly more representational of the "real" building, but I like the red and grey colour scheme too.

Guys, thanks!

@LegoModularFan Thanks for posting these MOCs, they look great. Especially all the details/greebling :wub: However I find these not being an exact copy, but rather just close enough. Like having 4 windows instead of 5 for example. My intention was to build a copy in minifigure/Modular scale. This resulted in some proportion alterations. And if it wouldn't fit well into 32 or 48 studs I wouldn't probably build it at all. It is missing just 2-3 studs to be have better proportions. The cool thing about this MOC - not looking to disassemble it at any time soon (or anytime at all). So it might get modified further when new ideas or parts come.

I'm really surprised there are lots of notes about colour. I think this is because house hasn't been maintained, which resulted in lots of dust, mold and whatever there could be else on entire building. Photo might distort the colours too. Like the "tan" elements are actually cement like, so their presentation in LBG is correct. I agree about the roof though - checked local LEGO shop's PAB wall, which has cheese slopes in black at the moment. So no changes here for a now.

You nailed it. I love the picture of your model next to the original one as well. 

On 6/19/2018 at 11:59 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Looks much more convincing than the first version! I especially love the way you used the cheese slopes, both on the roof and on the foliage. However, I agree with @pinioncorp about the color scheme. And I'd personally have built this in a bit larger scale to capture some details in a more realistic way but you've done a great job capturing the essential look of the building in a such small scale! Also, I'd be quite interested in hearing @thomassio's opinions (I invite you to look at his Flickr photostream or to the spoilers below to understand why) if he wants to give (and you want to know) of course... Anyway, keep up the good work! :classic:

It is a great Moc! To be honest I don't see any mistake or anything to comment on. Yes I would have made different choices, but that depends on personal style.

Dark Orange would seem to me a more obvious choise, but Dark Red looks also good.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:37 PM, zux said:

Guys, thanks!

@LegoModularFan Thanks for posting these MOCs, they look great. Especially all the details/greebling :wub: However I find these not being an exact copy, but rather just close enough. Like having 4 windows instead of 5 for example. My intention was to build a copy in minifigure/Modular scale. This resulted in some proportion alterations. And if it wouldn't fit well into 32 or 48 studs I wouldn't probably build it at all. It is missing just 2-3 studs to be have better proportions. The cool thing about this MOC - not looking to disassemble it at any time soon (or anytime at all). So it might get modified further when new ideas or parts come.

I'm really surprised there are lots of notes about colour. I think this is because house hasn't been maintained, which resulted in lots of dust, mold and whatever there could be else on entire building. Photo might distort the colours too. Like the "tan" elements are actually cement like, so their presentation in LBG is correct. I agree about the roof though - checked local LEGO shop's PAB wall, which has cheese slopes in black at the moment. So no changes here for a now.

You are absolutely right. At the end I chose to prioritize fancy techniques above accuracy. The problem you describe about proportions is very relatable, but your replica is very accurate. The comparing picture is astonishing. You nailed it.

Here's the picture how I've managed to get 0.25 stud offset I've mentioned earlier:

41539645430_dcb65ba53b_z.jpg

While I've used shortest Technic beams/liftarms (which I had a lot), similar effect can be achieved using modified plate. Although height will be different, so few parts on top should be changed.

I think I would prefer the LEGO version to the original to live in ;) Nice job @zux. Great idea that 0.25 stud offset. One needs it now and then!