sed6

MOC Train Shed w/LDD .lxf -now with more interior detail!

Here's my newest creation, digital format for now but I'll build it next month when I return from vacation. It's a whopping 7200 bricks not counting the landscape. Thanks to @PeterPNL for the landscape and minifigs and thanks to @maciej_drwiega for the door and window inspiration.

41037024800_08354e9b9e_b.jpg

41037030970_dabb8dd9a2_b.jpg

41947194575_a7b68dd5be_b.jpg

41037030850_c4ff58285e_b.jpg

Here's the .lxf if anyone wants it.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/sed6

Hope you like!

Edited by sed6
added pics

This is beautiful! I wonder how pronounced the brick lines will be in real life though.
I'm trying to find suggestions of details to add, but there really aren't many... The only things I can think of are more internal details (equipment, tools, shelves, miscellaneous items etc) or maybe a small office/break room off the back corner. It could be done in a different style to imply it was built later as an addition.

Overall though you've done such a good job. Well done.

Edited by ColletArrow
life, not lift...

Thank you! I agree that a small office or storage poking off a side or corner would look good. In fact I initially had one planned. However because of the size limitations of My small layout there's not room to expand, but anyone who downloads my .lxf is welcome to mod it themselves. 

I'll look for other details that can be added inside and welcome any suggestions. 

As to the brick, the 1x2's will be quite pronounced! In fact the reason I left the brick lines visible in my pics was to highlight them. If anyone cares to click on maciej's link above, his shed appears in many of his pictures and the brick lines are very visible. Unlike other builds where we struggle to get bricks to line up or be flush with their neighbors, sloppy connections with these 1x2's will lead to even more depth and character for the bricks.

Speaking of bricks, I'm struggling with what colors to build this with. In the above pics I have a 60/40 split of dark red/reddish brown. It's a good simple combo, but not as colorful as I like. I'm also considering a 60/30/10 split of dark red/reddish brown/dark tan and a 25/25/25/25 split of dark red/reddish brown/dark orange/dark tan. If anyone has pics and suggestions of other 1x2 brick patterns I'd love to see them.

Edit to add: I also need some ideas for roof trusses for the interior. While its physical strong enough now, if I make it removable it will have a tendency to fold down the middle. 

Edited by sed6

Hi,

a really nice design, I like the brick masonry.

How about adding...

• a covered examination trench for one loco stand (in fact, just change the floor tiling e.g. using grill plates)
  • a crane runway with a hand-operated pulley
  • suspended lamps
  • borrowed lights in the ceiling
  • a water tap and sink
  • an air compressor
  • a rack for reserve feed-water pumps or air pumps
  • a workbench
  • a small smithy

Regards,

Christian

6 hours ago, Xris said:

Hi,

How about adding...

• a covered examination trench for one loco stand (in fact, just change the floor tiling e.g. using grill plates)
  • suspended lamps
  • a water tap and sink
  • an air compressor
  • a workbench
  • a small smithy

Regards,

Christian

Thanks for the compliment, and for the excellent ideas!

Very cool

The window details are great! The 1x2 plates idea works well, ive seen many projects use 1x2 plates and the detail of it is great!

On 6/17/2018 at 3:35 AM, ColletArrow said:

This is beautiful! ...The only things I can think of are more internal details (equipment, tools, shelves, miscellaneous items etc)...

Overall though you've done such a good job. Well done.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:19 PM, Xris said:

Hi,

How about adding...

• suspended lamps
  • a water tap and sink
  • an air compressor
  • a workbench
  • a small smithy

Regards,

Christian

Gentlemen, thank you for the ideas. I've added a pseudo-inspection pit, several hanging light fixtures (not pictured) and a TON of additional interior details. Work benches, shelves, a sink, a desk, a compressor, welding stuff, tools, etc, etc. Basically everything along the outside walls has just been added. I'm attaching pics below and have updated my .lxf on Bricksafe. I welcome anyone to borrow, copy, modify any of it for their own use. I had lots of fun creating the interior details, many of which I took inspiration from other designs I found online. If you're the original creator of one of them, thanks!

I welcome any additional suggestions you may have...

42088019445_ef98cb5fc0_b.jpg

28121333957_f46132c2b2_b.jpg

42088019685_a333aedd5a_b.jpg

28121334147_0b4dc45404_b.jpg

42088019905_a831c98ed8_b.jpg

Edit to add: I really found it fun and challenging to place some pieces where LDD didn't want them to go. For example the 3L bars in the wooden crate, I needed to create a fixture to hold the bars in place, move the crate in place then delete the fixture and save them as a group. Even placing the red dolly required a simple fixture because it has no studs on bottom and cannot be placed on anything within LDD. Weird...

Edited by sed6

Oh nice! The additions for the interior look really great.

And yeah, it is fun and sometimes also frustrating putting certain elements in the correct position, but you did well there as well.

It's a very nice shed, full of details! thenidea of using 1x2 plates as bricks is great! The internal furniture is amazing!

My personal suggestion is to make the dead end track a bit longer and to park there an old,rusted gondola wagon loaded with axles, parts of locomotives and other technical garbage. I'd also add some plants in the middle of track :laugh:

Good work!:thumbup:

Yeah,

now it looks as if the morning shift just left for their coffee break!
My last suggestion leads the same way as Paperinik77pk's comment: Add some rusty bits here and there.

Congratulations!

Xris

On 6/24/2018 at 6:23 PM, sed6 said:

Gentlemen, thank you for the ideas. I've added a pseudo-inspection pit, several hanging light fixtures (not pictured) and a TON of additional interior details. Work benches, shelves, a sink, a desk, a compressor, welding stuff, tools, etc, etc. Basically everything along the outside walls has just been added. I'm attaching pics below and have updated my .lxf on Bricksafe. I welcome anyone to borrow, copy, modify any of it for their own use. I had lots of fun creating the interior details, many of which I took inspiration from other designs I found online. If you're the original creator of one of them, thanks!

I welcome any additional suggestions you may have...

42088019445_ef98cb5fc0_b.jpg

28121333957_f46132c2b2_b.jpg

42088019685_a333aedd5a_b.jpg

28121334147_0b4dc45404_b.jpg

42088019905_a831c98ed8_b.jpg

Edit to add: I really found it fun and challenging to place some pieces where LDD didn't want them to go. For example the 3L bars in the wooden crate, I needed to create a fixture to hold the bars in place, move the crate in place then delete the fixture and save them as a group. Even placing the red dolly required a simple fixture because it has no studs on bottom and cannot be placed on anything within LDD. Weird...

For the dolly i just clip it with a 1x1 clip and a stud ... Normally dont delete it just paint it to match the floor.  Grabs the center of the axle

I'm in awe of the amount of detail in this model! The machine tools and workbenches are particularly inspired.

Thanks everyone for the additional ideas! The addition of engine parts, rusty bits and grass on the dead end track will help finish out the look on that side for sure.

9 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

For the dolly i just clip it with a 1x1 clip and a stud ... Normally dont delete it just paint it to match the floor.  Grabs the center of the axle

Brilliant! I was in the fixture making mode and that easy and obvious solution escaped me! Thank you.