Not for LEGO purists, contains modified LEGO parts.

It has been a wonderful struggle, but it paid off: a super fast, relatively stable LEGO RC Boat, driven by a brushless elektromotor and two, counterclockwise turning propellors!

No torque-roll anymore, almost no porposing (thanks to the trim tabs), direct steering and great fun!

To get the balance right and to get the boat planning at higher speed was a challenge. But it works! The wet area can be reduced to a minimum, at high speed the boat is almost complete on top of the water (downside: hardly any control left :((  ).

Based on a 54799 LEGO Hull with a few additions:

- 3D printed stuffing tube to cater for an in-board, brushless motor (10 mm tube stuffed with LEGO parts to make it waterproof)

- A gearbox to convert the motor output into two counterclockwise turning axles

- A 2x2 3D printed LEGO brick to make the steering arm waterproof

- And al the 2.4GHz RC parts: ESC, servo, battery pack, receiver

Please have a look at the video and let me know your comments.

Edited by janssnet

Nice work, the speed is quite crazy. Do you have a boat battery level indicator on the controller? Or is a swimming regimen part of the development process? :laugh:

The idea is cool and implementation is nice, but the click bait naming is horrible. Sorry, but World's fastest LEGO RC boat -> Fast RC boat containing some LEGO. bricks. 

Cool, is this an improved version of your previous boat or a totally new beast. If i remember correctly  you were having some issues with the last one with the props and power delivery. 

how did you water proof the battery??  i would fear of an explosion if the water touches the battery!! 

Just out of curiosity, what sort of battery would react so violently to moisture, I want to make sure I never purchase any of that type, scary stuff. 

16 hours ago, zux said:

The idea is cool and implementation is nice, but the click bait naming is horrible. Sorry, but World's fastest LEGO RC boat -> Fast RC boat containing some LEGO. bricks. 

I second that.

21 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Nice work, the speed is quite crazy. Do you have a boat battery level indicator on the controller? Or is a swimming regimen part of the development process? :laugh:

No battery indicator, trial and error :)) There has been some swimming involved!

17 hours ago, zux said:

Yeah, I know, I know ... However, having used a LEGO hull and having gone through the hassle of fitting everything into, what on the outside looks like, a LEGO boat, gave me some justification to claim this. 

14 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Cool, is this an improved version of your previous boat or a totally new beast. If i remember correctly  you were having some issues with the last one with the props and power delivery. 

Thanks for noticing. It is indeed an improved version. The previous one continued to lean to one side at higher speed as a result of torque roll. Hence the idea to try and build a version with counter-clockwise turning dual props. There was only limited space left in the hull, but it worked out well. With ultimately much more control, which then created the opportunity to put in a brushless motor for even more speed.

9 hours ago, sirslayer said:

how did you water proof the battery??  i would fear of an explosion if the water touches the battery!! 

The battery can resist some water, no explosions (so far). And the great thing is that the (even upside down), the boat turns out to be fairly waterproof.