Sign in to follow this  
AlmightyArjen

My biggest Lego train layout so far...

Hey!

So it was time for the yearly Lego train layout in the living room. This time with around 80m of tracks and the Terminator enjoying himself on the roller coaster. Have fun! :D

Edited by AlmightyArjen

WOW!!!!

this looks Amazing!!!!

thanks for this! you made my day

Greetings ( Groetjes )

I'd seen it already on YouTube before I saw this post.  I especially like the raised crossover.  The different use of the 60051 carriages looks good.

Thanks for sharing.  The raised crossover would be awesome for crashes.  I don't recall a baby crib before.   :classic:

22 hours ago, sed6 said:

I want that Saturn V launch tower! Lucky you!

I have the LDD design of it if you're interested.

5 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Thanks for sharing.  The raised crossover would be awesome for crashes.  I don't recall a baby crib before.   :classic:

The downside is that due to the ramps, the trains don't have much speed on top of the raised crossover so no spectacular crashes I'm afraid (unless the trains fall down of course). And yes, baby crib is new! She's 9 months old already!

6 hours ago, AlmightyArjen said:

I have the LDD design of it if you're interested.

Thank you for the offer. Is it your design or Valerie's? I have Valerie's LDD already. Besides being too expensive, half the parts don't exist in the correct color or are uavailable in the quantities needed. 

Oh wow what an awesome setup. I love the sound effects on your video, and it is filmed very well to make the video enjoyable to watch. How do you store all of it? On shelves, in boxes? Do you do a different layout each time you set it up? It looks like so much fun.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:16 AM, sed6 said:

Thank you for the offer. Is it your design or Valerie's? I have Valerie's LDD already. Besides being too expensive, half the parts don't exist in the correct color or are uavailable in the quantities needed. 

It's my own design, it's actually older than Valerie's but Valerie's is more life-like. All the parts that I used are available on Bricklink although the model contains about 100 red triangular supports and I had to gather them in about 10 different Bricklink orders from around the world. I now see that there's still a scarcity for these parts, that will be a problem. BUT: I don't want to keep my tower as it takes up too much space. So if you're interested I could sell it to you (doesn't come cheap though, it costed me a lot), PM me if you're interested. Otherwise I will be putting most of the parts on bricklink, what would abolish the scarcity of the support parts.

19 hours ago, alsielou said:

Oh wow what an awesome setup. I love the sound effects on your video, and it is filmed very well to make the video enjoyable to watch. How do you store all of it? On shelves, in boxes? Do you do a different layout each time you set it up? It looks like so much fun.

I indeed store everything in boxes, closets and shelves. The shelves have custom made dust covers so I can store everything dust free. I don't like to build a city like Jang or Alex Nunes (their cities are really awesome though) and fine tune it in time. I like to build an impressive layout and shoot a nice video of it. Next to that I do a lot of Lego train automation projects, once finished I don't keep them: I use the parts for my next project.

14 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I love your setup and I especially love all your lights. What it cost to actually light things up like that? 

Well, most lighting I've done myself with some resistors, LED's and a lot of wire. The bridge lighting I have bought at BrickLED.nl, they sell complete lighting units.

Very amazing layout, as usual from you: here lights give a special touch to your work. *oh2* 

Well, I just broke the 10th commandment (Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's trains)!  That's an incredible layout - it's a testament to those 12V- and 9v- era trains that they still look great running alongside more modern sets.

Few thoughts

1) That looks too good to take apart.  Suggest you build an second living room and keep the trains.

2) Like the lighting you have added. Gives layout a nice touch.

3) Looking forward to when you figure out how to control the new Blue Tooth controllers (like you did for the IR stuff) and really step up your game on automation.  

Another great Lego railway video.  Really enjoy watching your stuff.  

On 7/2/2018 at 8:20 PM, LegoDW said:

Few thoughts

1) That looks too good to take apart.  Suggest you build an second living room and keep the trains.

2) Like the lighting you have added. Gives layout a nice touch.

3) Looking forward to when you figure out how to control the new Blue Tooth controllers (like you did for the IR stuff) and really step up your game on automation.  

Another great Lego railway video.  Really enjoy watching your stuff.  

1) if only ;)

3) I never did anything with IR stuff, wasn't that the Youtube channel "Lego arduino trains" or something like that? I always use the 9V system.

For those interested: the extra footage video is online!

What I really like on your Videos is the quality of the video itself. Beside the trains, of course.

I would really appreciate a "making-of" video. I mean, you have this slow camera-moving during limelapse, fly-overs, and all this other stuff that makes a video looking so professional. I get allready trouble with the light when taking some non-moving pictures.... :sceptic:

What do you do to eliminate the shaking, for example? How do you avoid dark areas and strong shades when filming?

Would really really like to see some kind of tutorial.

However, I allways enjoy you videos.

Well it's not all that difficult actually! For the slow moving timelapse I normally use a Lego built platform which moves very slowly (double worm gear) on which I put the camera. In this video I actually used a videography slider but the motor was broken so I built a quick and dirty Lego winch to pull the slider (that is why the timelapse is nog 100% fluent). And about the video quality: it's a combination of using the right equipment, settings and color grading afterwards. Lighting is probably the most important thing. I started years ago with just normal construction lamps, now I use professional studio daylight lighting: that helps a lot. 

I'll see if I can make a tutorial somewhere in the future. I got first a container terminal to finish ;)

Edited by AlmightyArjen

Congrats on an impressive layout, cool trains, everything is awesome!! :)
Great footage hovering the track, and the lights on the bridge and carriages also awesome!!