Gusseteer

Rogue One Chess Set MOC

This is my MOC of a Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Chess Set based on the Battle of Scarif.

The MOC was based on the Lego Pirates Chess Set 40158 and Lego Star Wars Battle on Scarif 75171. When I first saw the Lego Pirates set, the first thing that came to mind was modding it to be a Star Wars Chess Set, then I saw Rogue One and set about building it. It has sat on my desk in various states over the last year or so and I thought it was about time to finish it and share it with you all.  To my knowledge this is the first Lego Chess Set based on Rogue One unless I missed something. Some of the changes I made were:

• Making the connection between minifigure and chess board two studs to centralise the position of the figure.
  • Changing the colour of the water plates to be closer to the colour of the water on Scarif.
  • After building 21042 recently I decided to give this set a black border and base to add stability. I feel that it also gave the build a nicer finish.
  • Foliage and beach design and layout.

The one thing I found difficult was deciding which minifigures should represent each piece, given the lack of Imperial female representation the Queen ended up being Orson Krennic whilst the King is Darth Vader. Please let me know if you have any comments of ideas for improving it. Anyway enough of my babble, here are the photos:

27845498187_ebe3562a97_z.jpg

42714235711_126f94abb2_z.jpg

41996199144_18378cd2a4_z.jpg

27845498067_07b5e741ef_z.jpg

41996198114_01572369b7_z.jpg

41996198634_5b7e0684cb_z.jpg

And finally a friend suggested that I included a mini AT-ACT, so I modified Miro’s mini AT-AT from https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8089/Miro/tiny-at-at/#comments

42714235851_0813594ef9_z.jpg

Thanks for looking at my build.

Edited by Gusseteer

Very nice build. Congrats! I like the decorations behind to put the Chess game in context :thumbup:

Edited by dvogon

Looks real good. You should put the higher ranking pieces on higher platforms to make them more important. I would like to see this done with the light and dark shades of tan as the chess squares, to make it more beach like.

Cool chess set I do agree though, put the higher ranked pieces on elevated pedestals. I also think the pawns should all be the same. More importantly turn the board so the white square is to the right of the player. I would say with a few more improvements you could make a good set a great set. Good job, brick on. 

Very nice idea and good execution! I have to agree that the pawns should all look the same and that the white square must be to the right of the player, but it is a pleasant moc nonetheless.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:03 PM, dvogon said:

Very nice build. Congrats! I like the decorations behind to put the Chess game in context :thumbup:

Thank you, those were inspired by the Lego Pirates Chess set which had a similar idea. I like to use those areas to put the pieces that have been taken.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:02 AM, TheGeneralMoe said:

Looks real good. You should put the higher ranking pieces on higher platforms to make them more important. I would like to see this done with the light and dark shades of tan as the chess squares, to make it more beach like.

Thanks, those are some great ideas. You got me thinking about a version 2 of the chess set now!

On 6/16/2018 at 12:45 PM, Johnny1360 said:

Cool chess set I do agree though, put the higher ranked pieces on elevated pedestals. I also think the pawns should all be the same. More importantly turn the board so the white square is to the right of the player. I would say with a few more improvements you could make a good set a great set. Good job, brick on. 

Thanks, funny you should mention the pawn issue, it has caused some confusion when playing with someone who is not that familiar with Star Wars.  I have kept the pawns as different minifigs to more accurately represent the makeup of the Rebels on Scarif and also to include Bistan and Pao, but you have a good point. Definitely requires more thought to make them similar but different, I think it is bye bye Bistan and Pao.

Yes, the white square issue is shameful, my bad. I had taken the set apart, it splits into four sections, for storage and when I put it back together I made a rookie mistake, doh!

On 6/17/2018 at 12:11 PM, mcphatty said:

Really smart, good work!

Thanks for your kind words.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:50 PM, Flieger said:

Very nice idea and good execution! I have to agree that the pawns should all look the same and that the white square must be to the right of the player, but it is a pleasant moc nonetheless.

Thanks, see my response to Johnny1360 for my reply to the points you seconded.