doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

33 minutes ago, HRU_Bricks said:

@Doug72 why did you move away form your previous 90 degree loader? It looked to be more capable

Havn't move away, That was built some time ago in 2020.  Just comparing them in the post.

The 90 deg is the recent one and I am going to try and enlarged the ball tray and maybe try for 1 trip.

Edited by Doug72

Improved Train GBC Vertical Lift Mk 2.

Improved structure and tested using a standard GBC Train reverser with a 24T gear & 2L worm for the trip rotor and proved able to carry up to 30 balls if required. A Z60 turntable is used to raise & lower the lift.

Transfer ball tray modified to load 30 balls OK but its a tight fit Best limit to 25 balls max.

Images show a standard train reverser with direct drive to the lift tower via two right angle drives.

release timing is set by sliding the 8T gear out of engagement with the 24 T gear

51514507158_426a24c4b0_z.jpgIMG_8359

51514994679_fc2c8e3ffd_z.jpgIMG_8360 

Enlarge ball carrier:-

51513460427_2fb89120c1_z.jpgIMG_8362 

51514973654_02c998e9fd_z.jpgIMG_8363 

51514973599_95325eddcf_z.jpgIMG_8364

51514486073_149b895422_z.jpgIMG_8365 

51515189365_d06f5e342e_z.jpgIMG_8366 

51513460357_15038338e9_z.jpgIMG_8367 

Video:- showing ball transfer into a temporary container for filming. 

Note, Train trip lever not fitted for the test but you can hear the trip.

Loading and discharge ramps to be arranged to suit.

Edited by Doug72

Correction to last posting:-

Image 8368 removed as connections with black axle were shown 1L too high.

Correct image shown below.

51523250724_b6f722f9d8_z.jpgIMG_8370 

Edited by Doug72

Help!!  I have my first show coming up in February and I need a supply of rubber bands for the Train Reverse Triggers.

The ones that I have are going bad.  Which ones should I use, and where can I find them?

Thanks for all the great info so far Gentlemen!  

On 6/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, HRU_Bricks said:

I use use loom  bands or the Lego train wheel rubber bands, add more to increase trip force, if required.

Edited by Doug72

13 minutes ago, OverlandSailor said:

@doug72,  Awesome, thank you!  Please forgive asking a question I could have just searched for.  :)

Are Loom bands from a weaving toy?

Correct they come in packs of 100 pce.

Edited by Doug72

@OverlandSailor I now use official Lego robber bands only. I find they do not really degrade over time as they are actually silicon not rubber. I use the white ones for my train switching unit

Hi

I have made a compatible version for the turntable. Myself and Chris Pearson have developed this. I have made a studio file and a sketchy PDF. Perhaps someone here would be interested in building it. The file, PDF, render and a video can be found on my bricksafe. I have also made a studio file for the L motor train. I think I have added all the mods that @doug72has done. If there is anything I am missing I can add it and then make some instructions, I am still learning how, so there are quite bad, but you get the idea. The turntable instructions are untested yet. The turntable is yet to go to a show, but during ~4 hr testing no issues. Although running it over the last few weeks I have found that the trip arms on some days want to be set up one way, then on other days want to be set up differently. 

My Bricksafe: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Jude_The_Lego_Dude

thanks 

Looks good, and similar to a real rail turntable

I have  Recently broken down the previous version I built

I will build your new version and test it.

Doug72

Hi doug72

I'm loving the original lift mechanism for the 90 degree train. Have you or anyone else made any PDF instructions for it yet as I'd love to build it. I'm trying to recreate it from your pictures, but my little brain is struggling :) Well done for making it onto Planet GBC!

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Doddy0078
To clarify which version of the lift I meant.

1 hour ago, Doddy0078 said:

Hi doug72

I'm loving the original lift mechanism for the 90 degree train. Have you or anyone else made any PDF instructions for it yet as I'd love to build it. I'm trying to recreate it from your pictures, but my little brain is struggling :) Well done for making it onto Planet GBC!

Thanks

Simon

Thanks for your comments & query.

Sorry, There are no instructions & I have no idea how make them.

Go back to page 39 Sept.3rd.  2021 and see how the build started and the problems encountered along the way.

The lift itself is quite simple to build but the Train reverser was the biggest challenge as I needed it to allow 2 trips before train cart was released.
Getting syncronisation was the hardest task eventually made using a 1:1 gear as discribed.

It proved impossible for the lift carry 30 bals in one trip due to weight & lack of power from the train car but OK when 2 trips made of 15 balls.

re train reverser:- Using two 24T gears for the train 8T gears to engage with helps stop gear chattering and give even ouput power.

I still have the module intact, so if you need any further images let me know.

Doug72

Hi Doug

Thanks for the quick reply!

Its literally just the lift section with entry and exit ramps that I’m building to add to my GBC loop.

If you have the time and inclination I would like to know how the entry mechanism is built and how the tiles are attached in the lifting section.

I’m just trying to figure it out as I go along at the sec. Awaiting a parts order too.

Thanks again!

Simon

Go to page 36 https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/162511-gbc-akiyuki-train-system-type-2-mods-and-improvements/&page=36

and scroll down to Nov. 18th 2020 where it shows how the tilting ramp in box was made along with parts required.

Re Lift tiles,
The 8 x 1 tiles are attached to two 10 x 1 stud plates at top and bottom

Edited by doug72

Hi,

I did some mods to Akiyuki’s type 1 train system crane loader, so that it is compatible with the type 2 train system. This is iteration number 1 so it’s not 100%, some friction that I have to chase up, but the next step will be digital designing and further modifications. The crane itself hasn’t fully recovered from its display at bricktober a few weeks ago, so it is not as smooth as it once was, for unknown reasons.

A video can be found here; https://bricksafe.com/pages/Jude_The_Lego_Dude/my-gbc-modules/misc-type-2-train

Thanks

3 hours ago, Jude The Lego Dude said:

Hi,

I did some mods to Akiyuki’s type 1 train system crane loader, so that it is compatible with the type 2 train system. This is iteration number 1 so it’s not 100%, some friction that I have to chase up, but the next step will be digital designing and further modifications. The crane itself hasn’t fully recovered from its display at bricktober a few weeks ago, so it is not as smooth as it once was, for unknown reasons.

A video can be found here; https://bricksafe.com/pages/Jude_The_Lego_Dude/my-gbc-modules/misc-type-2-train

Looks good.

Re Train cart Mod:- Thanks for the instructions and the parts list.
 The yelow trip beams each side might be a bit too long and could snag on some mobdules.
  I Wiil build as per your instructions and check it with my various GBC modules.

How easy is it to renew the batteries on the underside of the battery box ?

Edited by doug72

7 hours ago, doug72 said:

Looks good.

Re Train cart Mod:- Thanks for the instructions and the parts list.
 The yelow trip beams each side might be a bit too long and could snag on some mobdules.
  I Wiil build as per your instructions and check it with my various GBC modules.

How easy is it to renew the batteries on the underside of the battery box ?

When I did the instructions I knew I missed some things. The trip arms must have been one of them. I want to make the train cars exactly how you have them. Do you have a list of the other mods that I missed (and where on the prior 40 pages to find the photos of how to do it). I will update my L motor version to your final version. 

Re Changing Batteries: - Same difficulties as before, you must remove the entire batter box. takes about 1.5 mins to change and reassemble the train. 

Thanks 

Go back to page 25 & scroll down to Feb 12th 2019. to see photos.

I have started building following your instructions.

Main problem I had was tucking in the pF cables so that don't  foul the trip arms & switch.

Edited by doug72

Step 20:-

The 10 L axle relies on friction to stay in place on the trip beam, and over time the beam can get pushed along  the axle which can stop the it from reversing the GBC Train cart.

There are two type for a 3737 10L axle. Plain & threaded.

I have 1 such axle and have used it along with 4 nuts. Works fine and keeps axle secure.

Downside is the part was only used in one set (8069) Back Hoe Excavator.

Only one for sale in UK @ cost + Shipping £ 5.95

One in Portugal            @  cost + shipping £ 14.82

52460407588_2d0abb38de_z.jpg IMG_8983

Or you can use a tab of glue !!!!!!

Edited by doug72
Corrected text

I like seeing that threaded axle in use! I've never owned any, but always thought they looked super useful, if only they weren't so expensive.

Ok, when I re do the instructions soon I will update step 20 to have 2 different options and a little blurb explaining why. 

Also I got to change the trip beam lengths to shorter. I will hold of though as there might be other things that need to be changed. 

Thanks for the help

Re Trip Beams: 11 L is OK as the reverser striker arm hits it centrally.

You need to reposition the the 2 crank arms the other way :-LEGO Beam 3 x 0.5 with Knob and Pin (33299 / 61408)

Re Step 12, two 3L XOX thin beam, added a t 3/4 pin to the center hole helps to keep battery box from lifting.

Routing of cables from battery & chang over swith, I use blue tack to keep them in place so they don,t snag the trip beams.

Edited by doug72

I have created free building instructions for my version of the rotary dumper and elevator. It's running very reliable, smooth, fast and consumes less battery power.

Here is a Meccano version by the way, unfortunately Akiyuki is not mentioned but it is very clear where the inspiration came from. Good thing we don't have to bolt down modules and tracks to the table :)

Edited by Berthil