Doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

Posted (edited)

Nice build & instructions and thanks for the free instructions.

I will add a link this to the GBC Train Forum Index later.

I like your train reverser unit which seems easier to build and note the double 24T gears for the 8T train gears to engage with which gives a stronger connection to drive the module and saves damaging 8T gears when under heavy load.

I note that the trip rotor has only 2 lobes but constructed as per Akiyuki version with 4 arms but only 2 rollers.

I use a simpler & stronger trip rotor with 2 arms, see image.

51231584779_a1a1be27a1.jpgIMG_8208

@HRU_Bricks said:- This is a really great concept. I think I'll do something like this with the new Mindstorms unit.

Thanks for the comment, it has taken me many attempts to get this working reliable but satisfied with it now.

Using EV3 you can precisely set the movements.

It proved impossible to use mechanical solutions due to dwell as module reverses.

I have no idea how to make instructions so when you build it if you need any advice or photos please ask.

The lift unit is the most complex part of the module. 

The extra 4L gear racks on the entry tack just before the reverser module helps push the train car fully into place.

Once the train docks the train motor stops until ball box is back on the train.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

I use a simpler & stronger trip rotor with 2 arms, see image.

51231584779_a1a1be27a1.jpgIMG_8208

I Like this mod and will defiantly give it a go on my next switching unit (the loader side). It is much more efficient to build and simpler (plus I get to put the "L" half beams back into my loose parts :-) ) 

Doubling the 24T made a big difference as it applies the torque evenly and stops one side lifting and ultimately the "chattering" gears. Removing the Technic Beams and replacing it with the tiles and ramps also helps reduce the friction of the cart in and out of the module. 

As for the loading unit you made as I go through it I'll ask if I need and additional photos. Your really good at documenting what you have done so I think it won't be too many questions :-). The Train Cart stopping and reversing was going to be one of them but your explanation and photos makes a lot of sense. 

Posted (edited)

Re trip rotor:- Saves 3 x 3 L thin beams as I found they tended to crack at the axle holes after a lot of use.

The cam that stops the train motor as it docks can be tricky to set up for working with train cart in both orientations.

Edited by Doug72

4 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Re trip rotor:- Saves 3 x 3 L thin beams as I found they tended to crack at the axle holes after a lot of use.

The cam that stops the train motor as it docks can be tricky to set up for working with train cart in both orientations.

I've changed out my switching units and updated the instructions. Your Mod not only works well it looks better too!

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, HRU_Bricks said:

I've changed out my switching units and updated the instructions. Your Mod not only works well it looks better too!

Great - thanks for your comment.
Only time you really need a  four arm trip rotor is when using it as a Vee module  to change over the track switch.

With a single trip arm you can double the time before train is released.

Edited by Doug72

Posted (edited)

Now built your improved version of the Train Reverser module.

Instructions were easy to follow up to page 38 / 39 / 40 which are all identical and had me baffled for awhile. Pages 41 to 63 all OK.

Testing:- without rubber bands in place and train reversed by hand. Train arriving & departing OK and is much smoother.

Testing with rubber bands in place on reverser: Trains would not depart, tried with all my train carts with same result.

Had me puzzled for a while then came the eureka moment.

Your version is Right Handed whereas the Akiyuki version is Left handed.

Solution changed the small black pole reverser switch to other position on the PF switch and now reverser working correctly.

Therefore all the train reverser in a set up have to be either RH or LH.

As I have several LH reverser modules I will adapt your build to make it LH.

51233523761_4c0813f3d5_z.jpgIMG_8209 

Edited by Doug72

@doug72 thanks for the feedback.

I see what you mean about the pages, they are from  changing the trip motor to your version and not deleting the steps.

I didn't even know there was a left and right side, I just built :-).

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, HRU_Bricks said:

@doug72 thanks for the feedback.

I see what you mean about the pages, they are from  changing the trip motor to your version and not deleting the steps.j

I didn't even know there was a left and right side, I just built :-).

If the PF switch has the small pole reverser switch it is an easy fix.

If a PF switch without the pole switch is used then only way to make the train work correctly to move the train side beam would have to done by changing the final bevel gear on both axles to the opposite side

I managed to buy two of the old type PF switch with pole reverser recently for spares.

Edited by Doug72

Now built a Left Hand version of the @HRU_Bricks Train Reverser module.

It was relatively easy to do the conversion.

Main change was to position the trip rotor section to line up with the middle of the trip beam on the train car.

The gear ratchet lever to assist train departing is in the same position as on the Akiyuki version.

Each 24T gear has an output (Red 2L axle connector) to drive to other modules

51239053157_39e93e8e51_z.jpgIMG_8212

Edited by Doug72