doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

On 7/27/2018 at 8:34 AM, Doug72 said:

Does Train un it work when you manually push the trip bars ?

If so there might be not enough force from the rubber bands to rmove them fully.

Try increasing the rubber band tension.

Also check PF cables are not impeding thie trip bar travel.

If its stucked then no movement is possible anymore. even with hand. 

and no reaction if I manually push the trip bar. after some time powerless the train unit works as it should. with no reason.

still had no time to build the 2nd unit. 

1st Im going to complete the LXF for the Rotary Dumper.

5 minutes ago, dunes said:

If its stucked then no movement is possible anymore. even with hand. 

and no reaction if I manually push the trip bar. after some time powerless the train unit works as it should. with no reason.

still had no time to build the 2nd unit. 

1st Im going to complete the LXF for the Rotary Dumper.

I had this too with one train and turned out the motor was on it's way out, after some time no reaction at all anymore.

LXF for Rotary Dumper Mod with Z28 T/T and rubber bands is done.

800x600.jpg

Hopefully no mistakes in it. The 2 black Pins arent possible to put in place. But works in real world.

On 7/28/2018 at 6:57 PM, dunes said:

LXF for Rotary Dumper Mod with Z28 T/T and rubber bands is done.

Hopefully no mistakes in it. The 2 black Pins arent possible to put in place. But works in real world.

Many thanks, I won,t  be able to fully check until I,m back home.

Can,t download LDD onto iPad.

From what I can see on the image looks correct.

Where do the two black pins you mention go.

Only thing I can see is missing is the #2 connector for attaching the elevator module.

29175443068_f54d411e14.jpgIMG_5868 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Where do the two black pins you mention go.

Only thing I can see is missing is the #2 connector for attaching the elevator module.

It can seen in this image (under end of lime green bean - right side)

at the base. where the 15L beam is diagonally. on both sides.

the #2 will be added later.

EDIT:

Found some other minor changes to the digital build when I had a closer look to my model. All changes implemented in the LDD and Stud.io files.

Used Stud.io to put all pins in place. "No Collision" is the key.

800x600.jpg

Edited by dunes

Good progress.

Is it possible to do a render from the other end, should then be able to check the whole build.

Doug.

7 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Good progress.

Is it possible to do a render from the other end, should then be able to check the whole build.

Doug.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Thanks.

Underside view:-

A 12T tan single bevel gear is missing from the LEGO Beam 3m Ø4.85 with fork (87408) that the train drives the rotation and trip system.

Edited by Doug72

28 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks.

Underside view:-

A 12T tan single bevel gear is missing from the LEGO Beam 3m Ø4.85 with fork (87408) that the train drives the rotation and trip system.

Can,t remember which side it goes.

fixed.

On 7/20/2018 at 9:37 PM, dunes said:

Rotating is quite accurate but the force to move the spring backwards is to high. sometimes its stop close before release. and its not a battery problem. Used the old train control to provide the power.

@dunes Wonder if the train motor problem you had is the reason why the your first attempt using a Z28 T/T & Shock absorber did not work.

Will try a Z28 with shock absorber with the improved drive gearing, on my build before I use the rubber band version.

Edited by Doug72

Hi, I am following this topic with great interest. Nice to see how you try to improve the different modules and make them more reliable and robust. I would like to start collecting lego parts for some of the simple modules and gradually expent with the more complex ones (and maybe in the future try to design a module of my own to contributie to this topic :-) ). Before I begin ordering lego parts, I have a couple of questions:

In the other Akiyuki topic I have found bsx-files for the train itself, the loader, the unloader and the siding component.
- Did someone make bsx-files for the other components like the reverse module, passing module (double crossover) and/or rotary dumper/elevator module? @dunes, or is it possible to extract a part list from Lego designer using your LXF-files?
- @Doug72 with your improvement of the train module, did you just simply replace the 15L liftarms with 13L liftarms?

I hope you can answer my questions!

5 minutes ago, Roene said:

Hi, I am following this topic with great interest. Nice to see how you try to improve the different modules and make them more reliable and robust. I would like to start collecting lego parts for some of the simple modules and gradually expent with the more complex ones (and maybe in the future try to design a module of my own to contributie to this topic :-) ). Before I begin ordering lego parts, I have a couple of questions:

In the other Akiyuki topic I have found bsx-files for the train itself, the loader, the unloader and the siding component.
- Did someone make bsx-files for the other components like the reverse module, passing module (double crossover) and/or rotary dumper/elevator module? @dunes, or is it possible to extract a part list from Lego designer using your LXF-files?
- @Doug72 with your improvement of the train module, did you just simply replace the 15L liftarms with 13L liftarms?

I hope you can answer my questions!

Thanks for your comments and queries.

That’s how I started, simple modules to begin with, then progress to the more complex modules, and then set about improving them to be reliable.

re bsx files, I couldn’t figure how to access these, so I used the parts list that can be found at the end of the each pdf instructions. Printed a copy and then checked what I  had and what I needed to order.

re train unit yes just I changed the 15L beams to 13L. Arms which “fixed the problem.

@dunes is working on the LDD files for the rotary dumper modification, and reversers using rubber bands.

see his post to access these.

Good luck with your builds, 

Hi @Doug72, thanks for your quick answer! Ok, I will use your fix with the train module then and use the 13L lift arms.

I really like bsx-files as you can import them directly in a Wanted List in Bricklink. So ordering lego parts is just a few mouse-clicks instead of manually adding the individual parts. That works best for me, because most of the time I order all the parts needed for a lego model, not just the parts I don't have.

I will definitly have a look at the LDD-files from @dunes, they look very promising with the modifications!

2 hours ago, Roene said:

Hi @Doug72, thanks for your quick answer! Ok, I will use your fix with the train module then and use the 13L lift arms.

You also need to reverse the two, LEGO Technic Beam 3 x 0.5 Beam with Boss and Pin (33299) which move the PF switch.

It was only a problem in the rotary dumper where it snagged on the part of the framing.

As the trip hits the beam midway don,t know the reason why iit was 15L. An 11L beam  would Work OK & reduce weight.

Edited by Doug72

Thanks for the update! I will probably want to build the rotary dumper in the future, so it's a useful improvement.

In the meantime I discovered that it is possible to import LDD lxf-files in bricklink. Unfortunately the files from @dunes gave an error while uploading them in Bricklink. I could import them in Rebrickable and saw that it was a colour issue with some parts. Easy to fix and after that I could import the files in Bricklink without any problems. Very nice to have Wanted Lists for so many modules already, that really saves a lot of work! 

5 hours ago, Roene said:

@dunes, or is it possible to extract a part list from Lego designer using your LXF-files?

yes its possible to get part list from LDD files. Go to File ->  Export BOM

1 minute ago, dunes said:

yes its possible to get part list from LDD files. Go to File ->  Export BOM

It's also possible to load the LDD files in Stud.io and export a bricklink wanted list or even publish it directly into bricklink as a wanted list from Stud.io
I can recommend Stud.io

Oh wow, never seen stud.io before, but looks very promising. I will download and check it out with the ldd-files from @dunes. Thanks for the tip @Berthil! 

Update:-

Now tested using a Z28 Turntable and a shock absober and not good news.

Although the dumper was rotated by the train unit OK, the train axle with 8T gear that engages with the 24T gear starts to skip as the tension builds up in the shock absorber spring before it is released to reverse the train unit.

Also found it is also harder to set timing correctly.

I have reverted to using the  Z56 turntable and shock absorber set up as I know it works well.

As @dunes said before there is more torque using the Z56 turntable and less strain on the gears in the trip system.

I would recommed using a Z 56 turntable with either a shock absorber or rubber bands.

10 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Update:-

Now tested using a Z28 Turntable and a shock absober and not good news.

Although the dumper was rotated by the train unit OK, the train axle with 8T gear that engages with the 24T gear starts to skip as the tension builds up in the shock absorber spring before it is released to reverse the train unit.

Also found it is also harder to set timing correctly.

I have reverted to using the  Z56 turntable and shock absorber set up as I know it works well.

As @dunes said before there is more torque using the Z56 turntable and less strain on the gears in the trip system.

I would recommed using a Z 56 turntable with either a shock absorber or rubber bands.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Ill dump the Z28 LXF and make one for the Z56 T/T with shock absorber and one with rubber bands

35 minutes ago, dunes said:

Ok, thanks for the info.

Ill dump the Z28 LXF and make one for the Z56 T/T with shock absorber and one with rubber bands

The problem occurs when the trains unit is up side down and starts to compress the spring. 

The axle 8T gear can lift off the 24T gear slightly and skip.

Thanks again for doing the files, did you get the pm about improved connection between hopper and rotating gear ring ?

On 7/20/2018 at 10:51 AM, Doug72 said:

Thanks for the photo, 

The Z28 mod fits in very well. Hope the timing works OK.

Now modified the connection between the ball discharge chute and yellow gear rings. Now a much more rigid connection & no flexing. Tested and OK.

Parts required:-
2 x blue axle pin connectors .
2 x 4L thin beam with axle holes each end (Red)
2 x 3L axle

42807139034_34b7780814_z.jpg

Tried a different solution.

Technic Pin Long with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Stop Bush on both sides

800x600.jpg

Rotary Dumper Update:- see video

Now installed a rubber band reverser into the rotary dumper, and it works very well.
Rotation is quicker and smoother without slowing down as the trip arm is cocked ready to release train unit.
Installation was very easy with more clearance between the Z56 turntable and yellow gear ring.

43142044784_cb408f6386_z.jpg

43142045054_b40f0b9856_z.jpg

42955686685_1aa0bc1fd3_z.jpg

43142045254_8fdc5cbe3d_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72
Added video

Elevator Modification:-

I have had problems with this module as the elevator rises with the train car jumping over the restraining chock causing the elvator platform & train unit to crash back down and jam.

I have made a simple fix to prevent this - see image

Parts used:-

2 x LEGO Technic Cross Block 1 x 3 (Axle/Pin/Axle) (32184)
2 x LEGO Axle to Pin Connector (3749 / 6562)
2 x LEGO Technic Gear 8 Tooth Type 1 (3647)

The freely rotating 8T gears prevents the train unit from riding up over the chock until  the elevator has reached full height, latched on & lowered the chock to allow train to move forward onto the rotary dumper.

On the train unit return to be lowered the modification does not impede passage.

43813934462_379396bb4a_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Nice improvments Doug.

Today I built the elevator module for the 1st time and added the mods U did in a different way.

Should I do a LDD files for the modded elevator? cos we have a different height than the original and added some other mods to it.