doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

17 minutes ago, dunes said:

Looks really good.

Have U tried to attach the counterweight above the hopper (frame). maybe this stabilizes the angle from the moving part better when load is on.

The cord is connected directly above the lift frame.

Thanks, I think the counterweight is too light. The cord to the counterweight is directly connected to the lift frame and almost vertical.
I will alter so the position of the guide wheel so counterweight cord is vertical.

47349205731_433ecd5251_z.jpg

When the ball hopper is in the lifting frame the small wheel with tire that runs inside the shaped frame catches in the slight dip between the ends of two adjacent beams. Will try replacing them with a studded beam so that the roller runs along the underside.
See image

46625979864_c27502beb9_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

12 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

When the ball hopper is in the lifting frame the small wheel with tire that runs inside the shaped frame catches in the slight dip between the ends of two adjacent beams. Will try replacing them with a studded beam so that the roller runs along the underside.
See image

46625979864_c27502beb9_z.jpg

Have U tried to swap the upper liftarms? 7 and 13.

when dose the jam happen? on the way down or up?

42 minutes ago, dunes said:

Have U tried to swap the upper liftarms? 7 and 13.

when dose the jam happen? on the way down or up?

Yes have tried swapping the lift arms around but still sticking as lift lowered at same location.
Runs OK with a light counterweight without hopper.

Now increased CW to max & OK with hopper and now sticks at another location at the horizontal 5L beam as lift rises.
Its going to be trial & error to get correct weight.

Just tried with 15 & 30 balls in hopper and max CW but sticks and releases with a jerk as lift rises.

I think a bigger diameter wheel is required so it won't jam meaning the moving frame would have to be re-built.

Edited by Doug72

On 3/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, dunes said:

Can I have i picture from the backside (wheels area) ?

Hope this is what you want.

Front view

32409656997_0065dfeaec_z.jpg

Lifting frame from rear

32409657197_47cf93e24f_z.jpg

Main structure with traversing components removed.

Red beams added to stop traversing carriage from tipping forward.

47351621661_ece92af579_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

@Doug72 That is an incredible piece of engineering. Far beyond my skills and my available parts. I am amazed at the work that you and others have done recently. The train unit that @Berthil has done, and his parts list and instructions is also awesome. I will probably use his passing module when I am ready to build that section. Great work by all!

Progress Report:
After prolonged testing & observation I finally discovered what was causing the jamming.

The mount for the follower roller was flexing on the lifting frame allowing the back of roller to foul the support beams on the profiled moving beam.

Support now improved and runs freely. Arrangement of the lower support wheels had to be altered to allow space for these changes.

Next stage:
Locate correct position for the train reverser and loading point.
Arrange trips to position ball hopper correctly at these two locations.

47306653542_b190a29219_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

8 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Progress Report:
After prolonged testing & observation I finally discovered what was causing the jamming.

The mount for the follower roller was flexing on the lifting frame allowing the back of roller to foul the support beams on the profiled moving beam.

Support now improved and runs freely. Arrangement of the lower support wheels had to be altered to allow space for these changes.

great to hear that u've found the issue.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:40 PM, Berthil said:

@Doug72 that's okay, will post link to rebrickable when approved.

It's already approved, probably automatic because more approved MOCs.

So here is the link to Rebrickable with PDF instructions
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22904/Berthil/akiyuki-train-passing-module-bidirectional/

I have my version 1 brick high but this instruction is on the same height as the original Akiyuki module.
I haven't tested it like this so report any problems you have with it please.

Only possible problem I can think of is train wil shake too much on entry because the inner gear racks are placed a bit too much towards the tracks. If that is the case I can move more gear racks to the outer side but this is only 1 stud difference in length. This because the track is placed a little lower than the passing module which is also the case with the original. It's the height difference between one brick and one liftarm, they do not have equal height.

If you want a trouble free entry I recommend a solid connection on equal height between the module and tracks like I did.

@Berthil I just want to confirm that your new instructions and parts list is a much improved replacement for the Akiyuki Train Passing Module. I will only need to add track and switches. I am getting ready to order parts. Also awaiting any close up photos, or any possible detail on your counter-weight system for the Train Elevator. Anything that would help me determine the parts I need, and how it connects to the main elevator frame. By the way, I sit on a Board of Directors for a financial management company that is owned by a fellow countryman of yours. It is called Van Leeuwen & Co., based in Princeton NJ. Wonderful people.

@rskamen thanks, 'van Leeuwen' is definitely Dutch, my last name is 'van Beek' :)
The Dutch have a sixth sense for money but primarily because they don't like to spend any (Dutch treat). Can't speak for that myself with a LEGO hobby :)

Still having problems with the follower roller sticking as it passes over the depression between the end of various beams on the profile beam.

I replaced the lift follower wheel,  for a Red 3L beam on a friction free pin.
It works smoothly and bridges the dips at the beam ends and around the bends in the profile beam structure OK.

32425896577_b4a1c14a4b.jpg

Added bonus the the lifting frame stays in the correct raised position until it hits the stop & when lift frame lowers to the ball loading point.

Just have to sort out a stop / trip for the train reverser end so that lift does not lower the hopper until located above the train unit.

Edited by Doug72

I am having a problem getting the correct part number for the 4 train wheels needed for the train unit. Cannot seem to find it on Bricklink. The number in the parts list does not seem to exist. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have a parts order ready to go and want to see if I can add the wheels to it.

I joined this forum because I need help from the experts. I recently built the basic Akiyuki train set up with loader and unloader using Akiyuki's instructions from his website. I can not get it to work right however. Although the train unit seems to have plenty of power it does not successfully operate the reverse units. The motor seems to not have enough power and in some cases binds up. I have installed new batteries and even switched out M-motors but the results are the same. I've used the soft spring shock absorbers on the reverse units so there shouldn't be a problem there. I'm at a loss for what could be wrong. All the videos I've seen of this model work flawlessly. Please help.IMG_2539.jpg.b83209fbeb21641f439bce1daafa4372.jpg

12 minutes ago, rskamen said:

I am having a problem getting the correct part number for the 4 train wheels needed for the train unit. Cannot seem to find it on Bricklink. The number in the parts list does not seem to exist. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have a parts order ready to go and want to see if I can add the wheels to it.

The part number for the train wheels is 55423c01

18 minutes ago, rskamen said:

@rskamen The part number for the train wheels is 55423c01

@Nudipics Thanks for that quick reply. I was able to find the wheels and include them in my Bricklink order. As far as your reverser problem, look at some of the earlier postings by @Berthil and how he modified the "pole Reverser Switch".. If you are using a new style switch, the indents are too tight. The switch needs to be opened up and the indents cut away. I ordered new style switches and plan to grind down the indents with my Dremel tool so the move smoothly and not "click" into position. Definitely check some of the early pages on this forum.

38 minutes ago, rskamen said:

@Nudipics Thanks for that quick reply. I was able to find the wheels and include them in my Bricklink order. As far as your reverser problem, look at some of the earlier postings by @Berthil and how he modified the "pole Reverser Switch".. If you are using a new style switch, the indents are too tight. The switch needs to be opened up and the indents cut away. I ordered new style switches and plan to grind down the indents with my Dremel tool so the move smoothly and not "click" into position. Definitely check some of the early pages on this forum.

@rskamen I've already modified the switch (I just took a nail file to the friction notches, smooth as can be). My problem is that the train unit doesn't power through the reverse units at the loader and unloader unit. I searched through a lot of this forum to see if anyone mentioned the same problem but no luck. I'm hoping someone has had a similar problem and can offer a fix. Fingers crossed. 

7 hours ago, Nudipics said:

@rskamen I've already modified the switch (I just took a nail file to the friction notches, smooth as can be). My problem is that the train unit doesn't power through the reverse units at the loader and unloader unit. I searched through a lot of this forum to see if anyone mentioned the same problem but no luck. I'm hoping someone has had a similar problem and can offer a fix. Fingers crossed. 

Have you done the mod to the axle between the two wheel axles ?

The Akiyuki version can suffer from high friction on the axle between the two train wheels axles.

Replace the 4L & 5L axles with stops & the 2L connector with a plain 9L axle.

Can you post an image of the underside of the train unit ?

Ensure you that the train wheels with discs are not rubbing on the frame.

With train removed from reverser , rotate the 24T gear, that the 8T gear engages with by hand to check if any friction.

Edited by Doug72

@Nudipics welcome to the Akiyuki train group. I don't think we had this problem before. My only advice is to operate the switches by hand, so turn the 24t gear by hand that is normally driven by the train and feel if the resistance is too big. If so check if anything is overtightened or has bend axles. Even do the same in the train without the motor. How is the speed of the train? Like you see in the video's or slower? I see Doug also responded. If you want to see the 9L axle you can have a look at my Rechargeable train instruction which has the 9L axle.

Edited by Berthil

On 3/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, Doug72 said:

I can add the mod for the train unit with L motor, the other Type 1 modules are available on page 1 of the Akiyuki Project Forum.
I will add a link to them.
Who do I give credit to, You or Akiyuki ?

Are there any instructions for this mod ?
i can use your image & re-size it.

Re Crane Loader:
Do you have any tips on getting this to function, I am trying to make a simplified Studdless version using a Type 2 train unit.
Having difficulty in getting the profiled beam that moves the lift cradle up & down - keeps snagging and twisting.

Problem solved !

credit akiyuki as i just figured it out from his 2015 brickfest video, and feel free to use my image

35 minutes ago, 9v system said:

credit akiyuki as i just figured it out from his 2015 brickfest video, and feel free to use my image

Done

17 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Have you done the mod to the axle between the two wheel axles ?

The Akiyuki version can suffer from high friction on the axle between the two train wheels axles.

Replace the 4L & 5L axles with stops & the 2L connector with a plain 9L axle.

Can you post an image of the underside of the train unit ?

Ensure you that the train wheels with discs are not rubbing on the frame.

With train removed from reverser , rotate the 24T gear, that the 8T gear engages with by hand to check if any friction.

@Doug72 @Berthil Thank you gentlemen. I decided to start by rebuilding the train unit. I switched out the axles replacing with the 9L and paid attention to the tension between the train wheels, hubs and gears. It's working flawlessly. Thank you for your suggestions and hopefully this will help folks in the future. 

Edited by Nudipics

Good to hear you have fixed the problem & train now running OK.

You missed my earlier posts on Page 8 for August 20th & 22nd about this problem & the solution.

Doug72.

Edited by Doug72

On 2/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, Doug72 said:

Akiyuki train module with crane

Currently exploring ideas for a more compact & simpler version of this using a type 2 train with L motor and remainder built using mainly studless components.

Work on this module ceased as I cannot get it to reliably raise and lower the ball hopper carrier & has got much larger than invisaged.

Module now disassembled.

Edited by Doug72

On 3/18/2019 at 4:38 AM, Doug72 said:

Work on this module ceased as I cannot get it to reliably raise and lower the ball hopper carrier & has got much larger than invisaged.

Module now disassembled.

@Doug72 To quote a famous American baseball player from the past...."Say it ain't so". But, I can understand your frustration with this module. With my limited knowledge and very limited parts bin, I never would have attempted it in the first place. Be proud of the work you did and what you learned in the process.

3 hours ago, rskamen said:

@Doug72 To quote a famous American baseball player from the past...."Say it ain't so". But, I can understand your frustration with this module. With my limited knowledge and very limited parts bin, I never would have attempted it in the first place. Be proud of the work you did and what you learned in the process.

Thanks for your comments - yes it became quite a frustrating build and was becoming much too big and consumed lots of parts.
it was a useful leaning process.

I am currently exploring other ways to lift the ball carrier off the train unit, transfer it it to the loading point and lift back on the train again.

Edited by Doug72