doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

8 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Thanks @Berthiland @Doug

I found your older post which I had in mind. I will give it a try. 

What is the purpose of the 5L liftarm installed above the upper 24T gear? 

At first I thought that was the image I have been trying to upload without success then I realised its an earlier posting.
The rack positions are exactly the same except my lift platform now has racks on both sides of the train.

The 5L beam is no longer used.

I used two racks a sometimes the train twisted on the track and got stuck as it moved off.

Edited by Doug72

Flickr back on line - heres the image showing latest gear rack arrangments on my Elevator lift platform.

31735448187_7821152853_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

GBC Train Mechanical Scissors Lift: (WIP)

Update:-

Now tried with both Z56 & Z60 turntables.
The Z60 turntable performis better but in order to carry balls have had to use reduction gearing to get enough torque to raise the lift from its lower loading position and also fit a booster shock absorber to assist with the initial lifting.

Now tested with fully re-charged batteries and have managed to carry 21 balls per trip but lift cycle of 40 secs is slow and only just reaches the 30 ball per minute average !!
N.B. ball carrying platform only for testing - needs improving.

It takes quite a lot of force to start the lift and there is a pronounced double jerk as it starts to rise.
Torsion appears to be the problem with various axle twisting slightly as the load comes on and then once lift is moving freely the torsion is released causing the jerk.

The advantage of using a turntable with connecting rod is it constantly rotates in one direction & a reverser unit is not required.

Also I believe getting timing correct will be nigh on impossible.

I have another idea, still using the gear racks with housings but moved in a different manner but will require a reversing unit  but should be easier to set the timing.

Any ideas on how to improve the start of the lift would be welcome.

Edited by Doug72

IGBC Scissors Lift - Progress.

After a heck of a lot of testing , trial & error I have finally managed to improve the initial lifting, using there small shocks with soft springs. Tested with 21 ball load OK.

Tried 1:1 gear ratio  from the train reverser but there is not enough power / torque, so now using 12:20 reduction used to drive the scissors lift turntable which has now reverted to using the Z56 version.

Timing:-
Also I believe getting timing correct will be nigh on impossible.

Contrary to my previous comment that it it turns out timing is very simple which is why the Z56 turntable is used on the same principle as the Rotary Dumper Mod.

One rotation of the Z56 turntable requires the train to release when at the lower loading point.
This means the train reverser trip rotor with a single lobe needs to rotate one revolution also.
The Z56 T/T needs to be driven by a worm - this might be difficult to arrange to allow the worm drive to it, due not enough clearance under bottom the T/T gear ring to fit the worm gear.
A 12:20 gear reduction is required to match the Scissors lift turntable.

I.e. The gearing  to scissors lift T/T & the Train Reverser must match as per the Rotary Dumper MOD.

Z60 T/T was not used due the 1/2L offset required for the worm gear. and difficulty obtaining the correct gear ratios !!!!

Update:
New bespoke reverser built using Z56 T/T with worm gear vertically mounted.
it was quite a tight fit to install the Z56 T/T gearing and had to adjust the 1st. stage 12/20 gears to get trip rotor turning in the correct direction.
Tested and timing consistent & easy to adjust by sliding a 24T gear out of mesh to adjust  trip point.

Same system as the Rotary Dumper.

Edited by Doug72

Catch 22 Situation !

Slow = carry more balls or faster = carry less balls !!!

Now that the reverser is in use the number of balls the lift can carry has reduced to 18 with a trip cycle of 45 secs. using two 12:20 reduction stages.
Replaced the train reverser 12:20 reduction gears with12:12 gears.
Trip time is now 30 secs and can carry up to max. 21 balls but lift is really struggling and starts with a jolt.

So with 15 balls per trip would meet the GBC 30 balls/min requirement.
This means a way of limiting number of balls loaded per trip will be needed using the same method I used on my Swing Loader GBC Train Module.

Edited by Doug72

On 1/7/2019 at 11:58 AM, Berthil said:

@Doug72 good idea with the vertical lift. I might build my own version and use it as a backup for the pneumatic scissor lift as I didn't test the scissor lift yet for more than an hour. I very much doubt if the train can develop enough force to drive a scissor lift fast enough but you came up with clever solutions before so looking forward to your version.

GBC Train Mechanical Scissors Lift: (Completed)

The concept of a mechanical solution tested & proven. Input gate for loading balls operated by the the lift as it descends.

Tried to make a input gate that prevents other balls arriving at the in box from entering the lift until the next loading cycle but balls kept jamming so removed to allow  video could be taken. A better input gate system required.

For the video balls were loaded by hand into input box, then the train starts to the trip cycle., loading balls onto scissors the lift and transferring them to the train hopper. Train departs with loaded hopper. A 4 lobe reverser used just to reverse train while taking the video, to start the next trip cycle.

Its been an interesting challenge but doubt if I would incorporate into a GBC train layout.

I  have been chasing balls all over the place during setting the timing for the loading gate  and some still MIA !!!

45823423575_e937d04232_z.jpg

45823423365_ff0277a2bd_z.jpg

45823420745_4d77f2b0bf_z.jpg

Apologies for the shaky video - holding camera in one had annd loading balls with the other.

Edited by Doug72

Indeed nice work Doug!

Does a train with track fit between lower axle and upper bridge support? It seems the lower axle is now higher because of 24t at the end?
Cycle time is almost 45 seconds I see in the video, that's long for a GBC circuit as theoretically it should load a maximum 45 balls at once with one ball per second.
If people intend to use this in my compact track layout, I have a little 4 stud offset when loading the train which this mechanical scissor lift does not have.

Coming weeks I'm going to work on a quick running vertical and train driven belt in Akiyuki style according to your idea as backup of the pneumatic scissor lift.

Edited by Berthil

@Berthil @Great Ball Pit Thanks for your comments.

I am quite happy with the actual mechanism for the Scissors Lift, with the constant rotating turntable driving it.
The main problem was getting the clearances between the lift arms and the structure right to keep balls in place as the lift rises and on the entry & discharge ramps to stop balls jamming.

The input box needs to allow balls to load onto the lift at  a constant number whist preventing any other further balls from joining them until the next trip cycle.
My idea keep kept getting balls jammed under the forks.

The two 24T gears on the side that transfer the drive to the worm gear for the Z56 timing gear for train reverser could be changed to 16T / 12T / 16T to give more clearance, with 12T gear vertically offset by 1L between them achieve that, if enough room to do so.
Also to keep the trip rotor rotation correct the 12:12 gear on the train reverser would require altering. to 12:12.

The reason the train reverser and axle drive the lift is a bit high is because the 24T gear the train drives catches the studs on the baseplate if any lower.
Even as built per Akiyuki design without base plate that gear rubs on the surface it sits on.
The axle that drive the lift could be lowered by using pairs of 8T gears to allow axle to pass under the track, the train should then pass under OK.

The 4L offeset between Scissors lift and Train should be easy to arrange & with a chute as per your pnuematic set up. 

Re speed getting it to run faster is the main problem - eliminating the 12:20 reduction on the train reverser helped speed it up a bit.

Just tried changing the drive to the turntable to 12:12 and turntable does one full rotation in 20 secs - so 12 balls per trip is 36 per min.
Lift seems OK with 12 balls per trip. So overall reduction from train driving the lift & reverser is 1:1.

The drive to the train Z56 gear would also need changing to 12:12 to keep it in the timing in step.

Time to tidy up my workspace which full of discarded parts & hunt for lost balls !!

On 1/14/2019 at 5:27 PM, Berthil said:

Indeed nice work Doug!

Does a train with track fit between lower axle and upper bridge support? It seems the lower axle is now higher because of 24t at the end?

Now managed to pass the scissors lift drive axle below the track with plenty of room for a train to pass below the discharge chute.
A 12T bevel gear meshes with the 24T timing gear & the angle drive at each end of the axle.

24/12 then 12/24 so everything stays in sync.

The track panel sits on 4 plate high studded beams each end, if only 3 high axle rubs on track underside.

46030714904_8ca36a91df.jpg

46030714694_51a594921b.jpg

46030714514_5534d2e067.jpg

46030714024_d8a372b3f1.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Do we have instructions for the parallel waiting stations by Berthil? Thanks! :)

Edited by Maoie86

2 hours ago, Maoie86 said:

Do we have instructions for the parallel waiting stations by Berthil? Thanks! :)

Don't think there are instructions - Its based on the Akiyuki version with modifications.
See page 20 of this thread for two images posted by @Berthil on Dec. 13th. 2018 showing the mods & construction.

Note:- this mod can be used for both options - passing or waiting - depending how the input tracks are arranged with or without switches.

Edited by Doug72

@Maoie86 I didn't make instructions but the mod is pretty straight forward like Doug says.

In addition to that I made the module symmetrical and more rigid for my layout, depending on your layout you can do what you see fit.

Welcome by the way, post some pictures/videos of your layout if you have a chance, we're always interested in seeing what people do with the train system. 

@Doug72 I'm at Melbourne Brickvention this weekend displaying your version of the rotary dumper. I want to give credit to you... so what would you like me to refer to you as? Is "doug72" ok ?

12 hours ago, alanburchill said:

@Doug72 I'm at Melbourne Brickvention this weekend displaying your version of the rotary dumper. I want to give credit to you... so what would you like me to refer to you as? Is "doug72" ok ?

Doug72 is OK, that is the title of the  instructions made by @Courbet.  
Have a good show and look forward to your feedback with some images or  video of it in action.

Which elevator will you be using ?

Doug

Edited by Doug72

Mechanical GBC Train scissors Lift - Problems.

I have built a test rig to see if can improve the initial lifting action of the scissors lift.
The rotating Z56 T/T drive is simple but it takes a lot of horizontal force to start raising the lift and I used two shock absorbers to help assist with this, pushing in same direction.

Now tried placing the two shocks as shown in image to give a more oblique push, without much improvement.

The horizontal force builds up until it overcomes the reluctance to lift then jumps to carry on rising smoothly.

The worm gear driving the Z56 T/T has had to be strongly braced to stop it forcing the structure apart when the initial lift starts. The fixed pivot point also flexes.

The lift also struggles to carry more than 12 balls per trip.

Has anyone got ideas or suggestions to overcome this problem ?

31857062837_4589767957_z.jpg

39833421203_a48ec15f21_z.jpg

31857062987_826b403e5a_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Cant you drive both the sliders with a gear on top?
Ik know that will introduce a new problem, how to reverse the gear by the train when the lift is up to let the lift come down.
But may be only use the train to go up and when the train leaves just let gravity do the job to get the lift down but with a dampening system or counter weight to smoothen the fall.

2 hours ago, Berthil said:

Ik know that will introduce a new problem, how to reverse the gear by the train when the lift is up to let the lift come down.
But may be only use the train to go up and when the train leaves just let gravity do the job to get the lift down but with a dampening system or counter weight to smoothen the fall.

Tried that using the new worm gears to move the sliders but the revesing issue was a problem as the motion stopped as the driving ring shifted and gets stuck inthe mid position.
It worked OK on the swing loader but can't get it to work on this. I used the frictionless 3L sleeve not the ribbed version.

The problem is the legs of the scissors beams are very flat when lift is at lower level and the mechanical advantage is very poor.
Once  T/T starts to move the sliders on a horizontal plane it needs a lot of force to push the moving pivot so that the scissor beams move upwards, once they are moving its OK and descending is OK as well.

It works OK with light loads but would not meet the 30 ball / min criteria.

Just seen the new PV Productions video for a GBC machine built from the 42082 Rough Terrain Crane, which has a vertical lift using 4L gear racks and a reversing unit which might be a possibile solution driving by the train.
https://pv-productions.com/product/gbc-30-fun-park-42082-building-instructions/

The Ferris Wheel looks very interesting with its intermittent motion.

Looks to be a good build - just completed my Xmas gift of 42082 RTC so probably will build this and not the lego B model.

Edited by Doug72

Could you reconfigure the "platform" so that the scissor beams are attached/run along the side rails of the platform and have the floor of the platform "slung" below.

It might not look as nice aesthetically as the yellow rails but allowing the beams to attach higher up means they don't have to lie as flat when it's in the down position. Potential problems are that it can no longer reach as high.

How about, instead of attaching the springs directly to the scissor, attach them to a separate lever which just pushes the scissor up a stud or two?

On 1/18/2019 at 7:36 PM, Doug72 said:

Doug72 is OK, that is the title of the  instructions made by @Courbet.  
Have a good show and look forward to your feedback with some images or  video of it in action.

Which elevator will you be using ?

Doug

Sorry @courbet I forgot to mention you... but I did a shout out to you @doug72 on beyond the brick... so watch for the video soon. Used the aki elevator which is not to bad... but I definitely want to convert to worm gear module next.

3 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Almost finished my set up:

Only the lift requires some fine tuning. 

Looking good, how will the balls from the dumper get back to the loader ?

I see you have two trains but looks as if three will be required if passing module loop is used.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

On 1/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, Berthil said:

I have tried the gear rack sliders driven by worm gears again and there is a lot less resistance when starting raising but a reverser will be required.
The reverser would fit where the manual crank is.

It takes 12 turns of the worm gears to raise to full height. Have to figure out how the correct timing can be achieved and for the reverser to change over via trips on one of the slider racks.

Original scissors lift version with turntable and crank arm needs to be made more stronger to stop the flexing at the fixed pivot points.

New test rig
45896675425_1bd9ee32b5_z.jpg

Raising under power & then lower in free fall not possible when using worm gears and would neeed some form of trip to disconnect the drive on the turntable version.
Lowering is no problem, its the starting resistance when raising causing the problem.

21 hours ago, The_Cook said:

Could you reconfigure the "platform" so that the scissor beams are attached/run along the side rails of the platform and have the floor of the platform "slung" below.

It might not look as nice aesthetically as the yellow rails but allowing the beams to attach higher up means they don't have to lie as flat when it's in the down position. Potential problems are that it can no longer reach as high.

The lift platform would not rise high enough to allow another train to pass under the bridge.

21 hours ago, pleegwat said:

How about, instead of attaching the springs directly to the scissor, attach them to a separate lever which just pushes the scissor up a stud or two?

Now tested your idea but with shock absorbers a s shown in these images - gives just enough extra force to help start lift to rise but lift platoform approx 1/2 L too high when fully lowered.

Input ball box to adjust to allow balls to enter OK.
The shocks hang on friction pins and are guided into the socket by the 2L sloped bricks.
Now able to lift 18 balls per trip.

32937566678_04326b2bee.jpg

46760864012_350c6d16c5.jpg

Edited by Doug72
correct image added.